Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:42:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:42:27 AM]

[Today at 08:01:43 AM]

[Today at 07:37:53 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: AOTY 2017 Suggestion Thread and other rule proposals  (Read 2920 times)

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013

Either give slack on all fish.... or don't give any slack at all!!!! That's my .02 cents.

I would say there seems to be some inconsistencies on how fish are evaluated by the committee. Is it favoritism? I don't know, but there are certain members that seem to get fish disqualified quite often and others that don't, even though their entries should not pass either...

I have no interest in "calling people out", it would just be nice to have some consistency to maintain the integrity of the competition.

That is a biased opinion it appears. If there is any question on a fish being legit or not it goes to committee. If it fails it was a bad picture. If it passes it was good. There has been no grey area this year. If the fished failed the picture sucked and the person who took it should review before releasing the fish to swim free. If the fish was dq'd and it was dead there is zero excuse for a bad picture. Bottom line, take good pictures and you will be fine.

If we messed up send the pic in question to any of us to review.
Like I said I have no desire to re-hash anything. Just food for thought. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.
Headwaters Kayak Fishing Team

StephKillsit

• Sea Lion
  • Not yakin just yet but I still yak in other ways!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I will be entering for first time next year and totaly stoked! Yahoo!  :fishing2 :fishing1 :shark
2012 Hobie Revo 13
Intex Seahawk 2

Thank you all for your support!! I’m so glad to still be ALIVE!! Weather on land or water I LOVE YOU ALL!!

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

Either give slack on all fish.... or don't give any slack at all!!!! That's my .02 cents.

I would say there seems to be some inconsistencies on how fish are evaluated by the committee. Is it favoritism? I don't know, but there are certain members that seem to get fish disqualified quite often and others that don't, even though their entries should not pass either...

I have no interest in "calling people out", it would just be nice to have some consistency to maintain the integrity of the competition.

That is a biased opinion it appears. If there is any question on a fish being legit or not it goes to committee. If it fails it was a bad picture. If it passes it was good. There has been no grey area this year. If the fished failed the picture sucked and the person who took it should review before releasing the fish to swim free. If the fish was dq'd and it was dead there is zero excuse for a bad picture. Bottom line, take good pictures and you will be fine.

Like I said I have no desire to re-hash anything. Just food for thought. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

This is the only group I've come across that seems to care. It is off putting. I haven't entered a lot of nice fish just because I knew the pic would get rejected, and I entered a gross greenling just because it fit the rules that I probably otherwise wouldn't have bothered. It's not really about the fish under the current rules, it's about the picture. That sucks, and from the pole in the other thread most people want it to change.

I don't think that there is favoritism going on, but I understand why it looks that way to some people and it's because of the contest being about the picture and not about the fish.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

This is the only group I've come across that seems to care. It is off putting. I haven't entered a lot of nice fish just because I knew the pic would get rejected, and I entered a gross greenling just because it fit the rules that I probably otherwise wouldn't have bothered. It's not really about the fish under the current rules, it's about the picture. That sucks, and from the pole in the other thread most people want it to change.

I don't think that there is favoritism going on, but I understand why it looks that way to some people and it's because of the contest being about the picture and not about the fish.

I get that, but the pic has to be good and it has to be extremely accurate. I say that from first hand experience. I lost over the course of an entire season by less than 1/4 inch total length. I would have ended up in second place. Third was cool, but second would have just been a little better. So if the picture is questionable it needs to be downgraded or dq'd. A mouth slightly open can give at least a 1/4 inch boost. I am not saying that I lost due to an open mouth, but it could happen in the future. We want to prevent that from happening, therefore the rules are the way they are.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Right. AOTY is a picture contest, not a big fish contest. That's what I said.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
It is a contest with somewhat strict rules. If it was an easy contest more people would finish closer to the top in points. Bottom line is it takes big fish with solid proof it is a big fish. You can not in any way have a chance to place in the top five with ten average fish. Or even 5 huge fish and 5 average fish. Cant happen. It is a big fish contest. Pictures are there to prove the size without any doubt.

Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2013 AOTY 3rd Place

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
My plans as of today are to not compete next year. I will however pay the $40 to enter because the funds go to a good cause. I do not have the time it takes this coming year to be a on the water 2 days a week for 52 weeks to finish top 3, or even top 5. I will however enter fish so I can be in the drawing at the end of the year, if we do that again, for a kayak.

Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2013 AOTY 3rd Place

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Right. AOTY is a picture contest, not a big fish contest. That's what I said.

With the current rules it's still about catching big fish. It's also about taking a good photo of the fish. Before the mouth closed rule existed there were some competitors that would gripe and grief other participants because of the perception that some competitors were trying to increase the length of their fish by intentionally manipulating the mouth of the fish... a few years of petty behavior later... we have the strict mouth closed rule. The bottom line is that the guys who compete to win are the same guys who consistently catch a large diversity of BIG FISH. Most of the guys who compete to win have themselves had multiple fish rejected ( I know I have).

Anyhow, it's still a big fish contest as far as I see it. I don't really care whether the mouth is open or closed. I want a high participation contest with friendly rivalries, cooperation and competition where the guy or gal who catches the most big fish wins.

It should be noted that the mouth closed rule was established before all but one of us got suckered into being on the committee.
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
It is a contest with somewhat strict rules. If it was an easy contest more people would finish closer to the top in points. Bottom line is it takes big fish with solid proof it is a big fish. You can not in any way have a chance to place in the top five with ten average fish. Or even 5 huge fish and 5 average fish. Cant happen. It is a big fish contest. Pictures are there to prove the size without any doubt.

Kinda like life....put in the serious effort and you will reap the benefits of your labor. Not everyone can win, not everyone gets a trophy.
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I agree that the current format puts too much emphasis on the quality of photos. We've sort of boxed ourselves (committee members AND participants) into an extreme black & white situation...which leaves no room for practicallity or common sense. So we often have to outright DQ fish due to slightly-open mouths and blurry pics, even if it didn't appear to give extra length or other advantages. In my opinion, that sucks. And this is supposed to be a fishing contest; not a photography contest.

Also, different topic, but the idea that the committee plays favorites or is biased pisses me off. I guess I understand the idea. However, it is flat out incorrect. I am extremely objective when reviewing submissions...because I take this shit seriously. (I have so much pride in the community we've built, this AOTY contest we support, and the work that people put into it) And that's my personal style--it's easy for me to tell a friend their submission was rejected because their fish pics suck or if he/she submitted a pic of their fish w/mouth open. Facts are facts. Unfortunately, in this case, there are a few people who repeatedly submit unacceptable pics. Going on memory, I estimate 12 fish were rejected this year...from a total of 6 members. Every submission that's borderline is discussed & voted by the committee.

While at the same time, I do feel bad for the people whose fish get rejected for minor issues (like mouth barely open or blurry pics). I think we all do. Nobody finds joy in rejecting someone's fish.
The hard part is finding that balance--between a fair/equitable contest while keeping it fun. That's why it is important to address this issue.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:04:27 PM by Cen Coast »
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Going on memory, I estimate 12 fish were rejected this year...from a total of 6 members. Every submission that's borderline is discussed & voted by the committee.
I believe there were more actually.  Some people chose to delete fish after a rejection.  But I agree with PK's overall sentiment, and everyone knows I'm unbiased - I hate you all the same.

Also, as an example to what PK said as for favoritism, we would have rejected a fish from Matt Mayes based upon information we found from other sources.  Matt decided to delete the fish himself.  So that's an example of how we enforce our rules without bias.  I also personally rejected two of Archie's fish this year and I felt zero qualms doing it.

The rules that matter the most are:
1. Mouth closed
2. Pictures clear
3. Legal to keep
4. No assistance in landing fish either through mothershipping or netting/gaffing by others

I feel that its time to relax #1 so that it becomes less of a picture taking/fish positioning competition and that people can handle fish a little easier and hopefully release them quicker, but the measurements must be accurate -so I would like to be a little stricter on people who try to claim lengths that we can't verify.  That's the point of the hawg trough rules.  My primary concern is that we continue to be seen as stewards of our resource and sportsmen.  I tried to take a picture of a 21"+ rainbow the other day and was failing miserably, so I just gave up and released him instead of trying to continue to hold on to him for pics.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:35:06 PM by bmb »