Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:34:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:34:08 PM]

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: AOTY black bass submissions  (Read 5292 times)

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Now that I’m part of the AOTY committee, I feel compelled to speak up on this issue because the AOTY entries reflect the integrity of the AOTY competition as a whole and I want the competition to be reflected in a positive light for those looking in.  In addition, bringing this issue up now should help to resolve two concerns: 1) the proper handling and care of fish caught and released, and 2) to eliminate the potential for controversy among competitors.

The issue at hand has to do with proper catch and release of black bass.  Black bass (and their sunfish relatives) feed differently than many other families of fish.  We all know that bass and sunfish have very small teeth that hardly look conducive to holding onto prey items.  While trout and catfish will often “grab” prey and have teeth that help to keep the prey in their mouth, black bass will use a “suction” action with their mouths to inhale prey.  The mouth will behave like a vacuum, sucking in their prey.  That’s what you feel when you feel that “tick” in the line when a bass bites a bait or plastic worm.  Therefore, the mouth parts of a bass need to be fully functional to maximize feeding efficiency.  If the “vacuum” effect of the mouth is lost, the fish has a much more difficult time feeding.  For a visual representation of this behavior, search “largemouth bass feeding” on YouTube.

When we lip a bass or manipulate their jaws, there is a risk of severely damaging cartilage in their jaws.  Over the past couple years, there have been some AOTY entries that have anglers pinching or manipulating bass’ mouths in order to meet the “closed mouth” rule.  I’ll be perfectly honest: when I see fingers jammed into a bass’ lips to clamp them shut, I look at that as a bass that may suffer a slow, agonizing death through starvation.  Is it a 100% death sentence?  No, because fish have a knack for coping with defects and getting along.  But if damage occurs, then that bass is going to have a much tougher time surviving.

“It’s my fish and I can do what I want with it.” This is true.  But when you submit that fish to AOTY, that photo reflects AOTY in the eyes of anyone looking in.  The NCKA community takes pride in recognizing proper CnR technique with all sorts of fish, and is often quick to address instances where CnR was not practiced properly.  This post is my attempt at nipping this issue in the bud before it potentially catches on with other anglers who may think “well if that person can do it, then I can do it too.”

“The fish wouldn’t close his mouth so I had to pinch it closed.” Sometimes a bass will come up “stiff” with mouth agape and body stiff as a board.  If I have a bass do that and I want to get an AOTY measurement on it, I’ll place the bass in my net in the water and wait.  Usually it’ll take less than 30 seconds for the fish to relax.  Then I place him on the board, push his mouth up against the end of the board, take the photo, and release.  The fish won’t stay “stiff” forever.  Just give it time and it’ll relax.

“The fish won’t relax and there’s no way I can get this AOTY photo without pinching its lips shut.” If this is the case, then please consider this: that fish you’re submitting is reflecting on EVERYONE who participates or is associated with AOTY.  It paints us in a poor light in the eyes of other anglers and gives the impression that we don’t know about proper CnR.  Not to mention, the fish will most likely be rejected by the Committee.

Here’s an example of how to get a proper measurement on a bass.  Just push the fish’s mouth up against the board.  The majority of AOTY submissions of black bass utilize this technique.

http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catch/image/3676/largemouth_3.jpg

With all of that being said, I ask that folks submitting AOTY photos of black bass PLEASE refrain from pinching the fish’s mouth shut with your fingers.  We will be enforcing the “no pulling/stretching of the lips” rule from here on out.  This isn’t a “new” rule (see AOTY Rule #2), but it wasn’t fully enforced in years past.  Here are a couple examples of entries that would be disqualified.

http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catch/image/3644/spot17.jpg
http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catch/image3/3667/IMG_3417.jpg

We want AOTY to look good in the eyes of other anglers who may be interested in participating, and sponsors who may be interested in prize donations.  If we can do the best we can in showing we are not only anglers, but also conservationists who take pride in looking out for our NorCal fisheries resources and preserving big bass for future anglers to enjoy, then we can only reap benefits going into the future.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:23:54 PM by Sin Coast »
aMayesing Bros.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Ok now the text makes more sense, I had not seen this post yet!  Ill be the first to admit Im a pincher... I never even thought about it as adding length to a fish, I was just one that didn't want to get fish rejected for open mouth, & pinching it closed leaves no doubt... But I did not know that this had such a negative effect on the fish, us hooking and dragging them out of water and taking pics is hard enough on them, may as well not add to damage. Good info and thanks for sharing! I will keep my pinchers away from the fish from here on out!!!!

Oh and there are lots of examples out there showing non-pinched, well measured fish.....and you chose the one that appears to be a dead fish on a tailgate  :smt003 But I get the idea and Im sure others do too! Thanks!
AOTY 2014

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Thanks for the great read Chris.  I'm not a Bass fisherman, but gaining more knowledge about our sport is a good thing for everyone. 

Martin

One F

• Salmon
  • Mendo Mayhem!
  • View Profile Pacific Outfitters
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
This info will be VERY handy in the future because I know I have pinched in the past and subsequently had the photos DQ'd.  Thanks Clayman!
2nd place 2012 Sonoma Slam                                                     
2nd place GS9 Team Competition w/Sarge & Midwest
Not even close - 2015 Simply Fishing
1st place Pacific Outfitters Team - 2016 Kayak Wars
9th place 2022 CABNK Top 50 Clear Lake Event
Hobie Top Gun Member - 2017
Hobie Team Member (12 years)
Pacific Outfitters Team Member  (13 years)

2015 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Outback
2018 Hobie Outback
2019 Hobie Outback
2020 Hobie Outback

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Thank you for the helpful info Chris!  I never knew pinching their lips was an issue until now.  Live and learn...
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Thanks for the positive feedback guys.  It's much appreciated.  The proper CnR of black bass is, unfortunately, not nearly as talked about as it is with, say, trout and salmon.  Things like "don't hold a trout with a dry rag" or "don't stick fingers in the trout's gills" are pretty well-known guidelines among most anglers.  It certainly doesn't help that many televised bass fishing shows and tournaments often display anglers holding bass in damaging positions.  I call it the "Bill Dance Pose": the angler holds the bass by the lip and bends the bass over their hand so the head is almost horizontal while the body arches down without any support, putting significant strain on the bass's lower jaw.  Studies have been done on bass being held in this manner, and confirmed a surprisingly high mortality rate following release.  Cause of death?  Starvation, because the cartilage in the bass' jaw was damaged to the point where its mouth couldn't properly function and it was unable to feed.  So even though the fish may swim away from the boat looking fine, the reality is that the fish could be in for a slow, excruciating death.  It'd be great if some of the bass guys on TV would explain proper release methods for bass, because it's a nation-wide issue.

Again, thanks for reading!
aMayesing Bros.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Great info, Chris. Thanks for posting it!
With most bass, all you have to do is press the fish against the trough and slide it forward.
If the fish has lockjaw or is being uncooperative, you can drop it in your net and place it in the water until it relaxes, then measure it again (excellent suggestion by Chris).

I know most people are not trying to game the system when they pinch the mouth closed, but it could be viewed that way by other competitors--and it often obscures the photo, making it hard to see if the fish's lips are flush with the end of the trough.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Bass handling tips
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I was guilty of a lip pinch in 2013. For some reason the spots at folsom don't like to cooperate on the measuring board. In the future, I will let them calm down in the net like you suggested.

Thanks!  :smt006
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Great write-up Chris!!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I'm not a bass fisherman but I can see myself catching one in the future.

So if you are keeping a dead fish with it's mouth locked opened. How are you supposed to take a pic?

Ex. Truck bed pic scenario

Are you required to C&R black bass?

Sorry for asking maybe  an obvious question but getting a fish DQ'd sucks and trying to avoid it.

Thanks,
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Not required to C&R.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008

So if you are keeping a dead fish with it's mouth locked opened. How are you supposed to take a pic?

Sorry for asking maybe  an obvious question but getting a fish DQ'd sucks and trying to avoid it.

Thanks,

If it's dead, then there should be no need to pinch the mouth. If the fish is in rigor, then you can close the mouth for 30seconds or so, ram it up on the measuring board.

You can keep black bass in most waters (min length is 12 inch).

1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

1. Remove stringer from fish's mouth
2. Place fish on board
3. SHOVE the fish hard against the board, with one finger on the bottom lip, pushing up. It will stay closed.  Do not worry about harming the fish, it is dead.
4. Use third arm to take picture of fish.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

Thanks,

If it's dead, then there should be no need to pinch the mouth. If the fish is in rigor, then you can close the mouth for 30seconds or so, ram it up on the measuring board.

You can keep black bass in most waters (min length is 12 inch).

I guess they are more forgiving than rockfish.
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

anything