Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:26:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: AOTY Pictures  (Read 3178 times)

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I'm not the best photographer and use my cell phone , I always expect to get DQ' d because I'm too pumped about the catch to pay attention to detail...lol

And when I have posted on AOTY I usually defer either way if it's kosher I'm happy if it's not bummer but hey at least I caught something..

Anyway thanks to those that  take the time to review all the catches cause you guys must really be dedicated..

VK

I would hope that you would take the time to review your own pics before posting them to AOTY.  It's not too difficult to determine if they are good.  The committee guys do feel bad about DQ-ing people's entries, so why put them in that position if you can already determine the entry is no bueno?

-Allen

VK

I'm not the best photographer and use my cell phone , I always expect to get DQ' d because I'm too pumped about the catch to pay attention to detail...lol

And when I have posted on AOTY I usually defer either way if it's kosher I'm happy if it's not bummer but hey at least I caught something..

Anyway thanks to those that  take the time to review all the catches cause you guys must really be dedicated..

VK

I would hope that you would take the time to review your own pics before posting them to AOTY.  It's not too difficult to determine if they are good.  The committee guys do feel bad about DQ-ing people's entries, so why put them in that position if you can already determine the entry is no bueno?

-Allen

I do and I get it . But ,if I didn't by chance and its DQ'd ..I can live with it,catching something and getting it on the game clip is more important to me than the AOTY ..either way I'm just happy and exited about getting them on the kayak and on the dinner table  :smt001
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:27:36 AM by VK »

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • put the lotion in the basket
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
dont laugh--first year I plan to really enter fish--awards event was so much fun--want to play this year in the aoty and doty and the wife is in too

question-- can I just game clip fish while otw or such and when back on shore then do my trough and pics and have the date stamp time stamp in the pic??

I get the C&R method on the lap -otw--but if i got one i'm keeping can it be done on dry land thanks

i know i know read the rules--im lazy and also dumb so  :smt044

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

People aren’t supposed to look back. I’m certainly not going to do it anymore.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
We give every AOTY entry the same level of scrutiny, regardless of whether the participant cares if the entry is approved or rejected.  It's the photos that folks submit that they know are questionable and decide to "give it a shot anyway" that cause the extra work.  Sometimes it's a PITA to get a good AOTY pic with a live fish OTW due to conditions, lens fog, glare, etc.  With those photos, we just ask that participants take a look at them and ask themselves if they would approve it or not purely based on the evidence in the photo, without making assumptions.  If a fish is entered as 15.25 inches, you should be able to see the 15.25 inch hash mark on the measuring board.  If not, then where's the concrete evidence saying that it's 15.25 inches?

dont laugh--first year I plan to really enter fish--awards event was so much fun--want to play this year in the aoty and doty and the wife is in too

question-- can I just game clip fish while otw or such and when back on shore then do my trough and pics and have the date stamp time stamp in the pic??

I get the C&R method on the lap -otw--but if i got one i'm keeping can it be done on dry land thanks

i know i know read the rules--im lazy and also dumb so  :smt044
Right on Craig!  The answer to your question is YES, you can take photos of dead fish on shore on the trough.  Just make sure there's no game clip or stringer sticking out of the fish's mouth.
aMayesing Bros.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Yeah, even a 1/4 inch of one entry can be the diff be first and second place...only fair to try and judge each entry by the same criteria...if we can't see from the whole fish pic that the fish has mouth closed and touching and where the tail ends, then we need to discuss and see if we can zoom in etc to verify or if we need to DQ....

Especially for dead fish (like all DOTY pics) there is no reason for pics not to meet the criteria...

IMO....It's really not that hard to do...and it really is the responsibility of the angler/diver to make sure there are pics are good enough before submitting them...

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Great markings . This kind of pic used to pass when things were more relaxed and word of honor was the rule. Not anymore. The second one is not 22 inches although its pretty fucking close. Graded down to 21 3/4. Kind of chickenshit but rules are rules. So just follow them and you will have a much more enjoyable year.  :smt006 :smt003 :smt008
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

snakecharmer

• Salmon
  • Happy to join any fishy adventures!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I hope everyone can remember that this is a fundraiser for a good cause, and that all the administrators are volunteers.

The benefit of this "competition" is that it motivated you to fish more, and hopefully fish better.  Winning is secondary.   I mean, you win a cool handmade plaque, and the admiration of 4000 people with too much time on their hands, as well.

But let's help these guys do their (volunteer) job!

This comes from someone who had his biggest 2016 AOTY eligible fish rejected for a bad picture. 
Fish laugh when I paddle by.  Sometimes they laugh so hard they fall on my hook.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Just to be clear, unlike the other committee members, I won't feel bad about rejecting your fish.  I'm impartial and sort of a jackass.

VK

Just to be clear, unlike the other committee members, I won't feel bad about rejecting your fish.  I'm impartial and sort of a jackass.

I knew it, the Dr. Evil type... :smt002

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008

That's why I wanted you on the committee!  :smt001 Nice guys are a dime a dozen.
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006