Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:54:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:47:48 PM]

[Today at 09:16:05 PM]

[Today at 07:01:31 PM]

[Today at 06:05:56 PM]

[Today at 03:56:50 PM]

[Today at 03:38:07 PM]

[Today at 01:56:07 PM]

[Today at 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hull Protection  (Read 3351 times)

Eddie and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I recently discovered that I've been getting some wear in a few places of my hull, so I looked into protection methods.

I decided to go with kydex, a very durable yet flexible thermoplastic, often used for making small plastic sheet items like knife sheathes and holsters. I had some on hand from a different project, so seemed like a win win.

I started by cleaning the surface of the hull, and lining up the pieces of kydex I had to best fit the spots that were showing wear the most.  Then I gave it a quick light sanding to knock the high spots down.

I cut the kydex pieces to shape, and then positioned them over the intended areas. A heat gun made pretty quick and easy work to soften the kydex, and I pressed firmly with a towel to shape the kydex to the hull. I feel like I got a pretty tight fit.

I used JB Weld Clear Weld to epoxy the kydex pieces in place, and then ran a bead of silicon caulk around the edges to fully seal it.

Looking forward to trying it out, and hope that it holds on and helps protect the hull from boat ramps and rocks.

- Kevin

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I have some other scrapes/scratches to fill too, where I've dragged the hull over rocks. Thinking about regular JB Weld to fill those, or maybe some other putty type epoxy.
- Kevin

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I used Kydex myself and it’s doing its job so far. Used the strongest gorilla double sided tape I could find and silicone to outer edges.
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I used Kydex myself and it’s doing its job so far. Used the strongest gorilla double sided tape I could find and silicone to outer edges.

Sweet, glad to hear another person here did what I did, more or less. Glad it's holding up! I'm hoping to give it a go in a few days.
- Kevin

Sea-bree

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
I have some other scrapes/scratches to fill too, where I've dragged the hull over rocks. Thinking about regular JB Weld to fill those, or maybe some other putty type epoxy.
I worked on the bottom of my Hobie a few years back. This thread was a starting point...
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=82006.msg934055#msg934055

I ended up doing a few things differently though. I was able to find a small pack of yellow plastic strips on this website

https://www.mariner-sails.com/plastic-welding-rods-pack-of-5.html

I ended up using a torch to heat up a paint scraper, then I would add the desired amount of plastic to the scraper and heat a bit more until the plastic just started to get a little melty. Then I used the paint tool to press/scrape the plastic into the scratches and voids. A little sandpaper at the end to clean it up and I was very pleased with the results. Those repairs are holding up nicely, and I will use the same process eventually to clean up the last couple years worth of wear and tear.

May be worth considering this option, though the JB weld route may be just as effective or even better... not sure myself, but thought I would share what i have tried
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 12:22:12 PM by Sea-bree »
With gratitude and humility

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I worked on the bottom of my Hobie a few years back. This thread was a starting point...
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=82006.msg934055#msg934055

I ended up doing a few things differently though. I was able to find a small pack of yellow plastic strips on this website

https://www.mariner-sails.com/plastic-welding-rods-pack-of-5.html

I ended up using a torch to heat up a paint scraper, then I would add the desired amount of plastic to the scraper and heat a bit more until the plastic just started to get a little melty. Then I used the paint tool to press/scrape the plastic into the scratches and voids. A little sandpaper at the end to clean it up and I was very pleased with the results. Those repairs are holding up nicely, and I will use the same process eventually to clean up the last couple years worth of wear and tear.

May be worth considering this option, though the JB weld route may be just as effective or even better... not sure myself, but thought I would share what i have tried

Right on, that's a pretty legit method using the plastic welding rods.  Maybe not using the tarp, haha. 
- Kevin

MichaelD

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
Been a while since I've posted but work, family, health etc.

Luckily my former employer offered me the chance to voluntarily separate (and get a nice severance) and I jumped.

This thread hit at the right time as my old Native Ultimate has seen its fair share of misadventures so I decided to add some protection before I take advantage of time off and spring fishing.

I went this route https://a.co/d/8BVKBNN

A couple of tips ...

I tried a PVC type solution in the past and haven't been happy so i needed to remove it ... Goof Off works wonders on the old glue
The PereGuard is more rubbery ... so leaving it in the sun a bit makes it so much more workable

Attaching a couple of photos of the result ... hoping the corner splice holds up which is what I couldn't do with the PVC

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I used Gator Patch, and it has held up well to dragging, but it is brittle, and chunks out if I drop the end of the kayak down. Just small unavoidable drops. I have been filling the broken out parts with epoxy.

Here is another thread on the subject:

https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=89069.msg1019427#msg1019427
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Bringing back an old thread.  My keel guards peeled off the other day - the JB Plastic Weld did NOT bond well with the hull, and the silicon caulk was basically what was holding them on. 

This is gonna be controversial, but I'm considering riveting them to the hull.  I have some waterproof rivets - I'm thinking two along the front edge and one at the rear.  Silicon caulk or RVT sealant along the edges and at the rivets.

If I chicken out and don't rivet them in place, I will use the double sided gorilla tape and silicon caulk the edges. 

Wondering why all kayaks don't have built in replaceable skid pads at the corners/edges?  Seems like a no-brainer to me. 
- Kevin

essrigr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2023
This is a project I need to do also, I will check about the bonding the kydex to the hull, for the silicon I am thinking of wet/dry suit rip glue, it holds up to water and I have repaired holes/tears in dry suit boots quite well, contact a dive store, Ron.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
This is a project I need to do also, I will check about the bonding the kydex to the hull, for the silicon I am thinking of wet/dry suit rip glue, it holds up to water and I have repaired holes/tears in dry suit boots quite well, contact a dive store, Ron.

Oh, that is an interesting idea.  I have some wetsuit glue, might try a test patch, see how well it sticks.  Not much sticks to HDPE, haha. 
- Kevin

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
Try marine goop - I've had good luck with it in the past.

Cheers,
Brad

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I ended up cleaning off some of my jb weld from 123eng's guide that chipped on the belly of my outback this year and sanded my hull back down smooth.

My pvc keel guard is still going good with just 3m tape sealed at the edges with lexel. Some JBweld there doesnt see much abuse so it has stayed intact.
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull