Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:37:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:32:26 PM]

[Today at 06:12:16 PM]

[Today at 04:40:09 PM]

[Today at 02:21:23 PM]

[Today at 01:14:38 PM]

[Today at 10:18:45 AM]

by Clb
[Today at 08:47:12 AM]

[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

[Today at 08:06:54 AM]

[Today at 07:51:28 AM]

[Today at 06:29:49 AM]

[Today at 04:58:26 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 10:06:14 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 03:38:07 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 10:16:35 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 05:08:57 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie or Old Town or...  (Read 6882 times)

dogfish30

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
When I first started looking for a kayak I was sold on the Hobie 12' Pro Angler. Still am, except for the cost. I like to buy items like this new most of the time but I just don't think I can swing up to 4K for everything I'd like to have. I'd be more than happy to get a used one but there aren't that many out there and the ones that are cost over 3K most of the time. So now I'm interested in the Old Town 120 PDL. I watched a few videos on it here and the guy, whos name escapes me right now, went through it pretty well. It looks like it could be everything I'm looking for and I can get a new one. If anybody has one of these I'd appreciate your input. I do have a few questions too. In one vid to install a sonar he drilled through the hull and said it could affect the warranty. Called a shop in Sac and he said it didn't. Does anybody know for sure? Also in one vid he is carrying it on a small car. Can you do that with the Hobie? I have a small car and I could load it like he did and it would save me a lot an gas. I do have a Dodge Ram too with a rack so I can either carry it on the rack, if I can get it up there by myself, or just slide it in the back.  Lastly, what other yaks that are comparable to these two would you guys recommend?  Thanks....Bill
2019 Hobie Outback
Nothin left to do but smile smile smile...

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Where will you be fishing mostly? And how do you feel about lifting/loading/carrying a (very) heavy boat?

In my humble opinion the Hobie Outback is a much more versatile boat than the Pro Angler (cheaper, too), but I can see the appeal of all those bells and whistles.

With the right rack setup and bow/stern tie downs (plus muscles to lift) you can carry just about any kayak on just about any car. Those Pro Anglers are really heavy, though. I sometimes huff and puff a little bit loading my Outback after a long day - can’t imagine 20+ extra pounds (that’s just a guess...) would help much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:20:52 AM by AlexB »

dogfish30

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Good morning AlexB, I'll mainly be fishing the foothill lakes since I live up that way but I've been reading these forums a lot and I think I'll be in the delta targeting stripers as well. I used to troll for stripers all the time in my boat and I think it can be done in a kayak. Will also want to take it to Anchor Bay at least once a year. The guy loaded the Old Town real easy on the car and I'm sure I could do it the same way he did. Don't know about the Pro Angler though. You mention the Outback. I sat on one at the shop and it just wasn't very comfortable. I wonder if you can up grade the seat. Are they as stable as the other two? I'm 6'3" @ about 230lbs so I want a pretty stable platform. As far as bells and whistles go all I need is a sonar/gps, a basket with storage and some rod holders I think...lol 
2019 Hobie Outback

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I can’t really comment on the comfort factor of the 2019 outbacks. Mine is a 2013 (I think?) with the old style seat - not the most comfortable throne in the world, but I really don’t think about it at all once I’m on the water. I’m about 6’3”/185 for what it’s worth.

I think the PA12 would be a great fit for what you plan to do, as long as you’re OK with the weight. Loading/unloading might be alright with a small car (not too tall), but I definitely find myself carrying my kayak around quite a bit when I try new spots (can’t always use wheels). Carrying my 75lbs of awkwardly shaped plastic by myself is no joke - can’t imagine doing the same with ~98 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
you probably saw Moo's video. He's a member here.  MooMoo Outdoors.

Headwaters in Lodi has some other options also - new Slayer Max Propel 12.5 should be pretty comparable to both the outback and the predator, but at a lower price than the OB.  We have improved our seating height with the new model.  Should see some of those boats showing up in shops in Late Oct/Early Nov.  I'll have one and my distributor will have one that people are always welcome to demo.  It will be a little heavier than the topwater but has some pretty cool little features.

It should have plenty of seating room - our new cockpit is 25" wide all the way through so plenty of leg room. 

As for drilling through for a transducer - highly doubt that will be a warranty problem as long as you don't drill below the waterline.  Of course if your custom installation is the cause for a hull failure then most manufacturers won't cover that.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 10:11:11 AM by bmb »

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
Is it the width of the Outback seat that isn't that comfortable, or is it the platform itself?

I know until I propped up the back pegs on mine I thought it sat too low, now that I've got it level instead of angled backwards it's way more comfy.

was like | \ |  now is like | - |

you can totally cartop any kayak on any car, I've seen a honda civic go 600 miles with 2 kayaks on top of it.  Just get a rack for the commuter and you're good.  you should be able to load a pa-12 on top of your car with the side method pretty easily.  and yes they're pricey. 

Honestly hobie or old town, you're going to get a quality product, it's up to the style of pedaling you want to do.  I would probably go for a used outback or revo 13, but I'm good with the seats.
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell

dogfish30

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Hey tehpenguins, It could be the way the seat was set up. I went to the store in Stockton last week and I'm gonna try to hit the store in Lodi this weekend and see what they have. I'll have to go sit on the Outback again. They look about in the same price range. I will keep looking for a used and will be willing to travel a bit to pick it up if need be, but if there ain't nothing out there I'll pick up a new one.  I watched Moo's vids on the Old Town last night and I'm about to pull up some vids on the Outback right now....Thanks   
2019 Hobie Outback

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
here, check out this video, https://youtu.be/1FSkB-z5ESc?t=113

I timestamped it to where the adjustability comes in. if you haven't tried it scooched up to the top, and leveled out with the kickstands in the back, give it a second shot, it's way more comfortable for me 6'1 200#  if I had to kayak without the kickstands up, it would be way less comfortable.
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell

dogfish30

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Great video. Thanks.  I'm leaning towards an Old Town 106 or 120 right now but I keep getting all this good info from you guys which is making my decision pretty hard. I'll absolutely go sit on an Outback again. Whether or not I buy used will be a big factor on what I get too. Thanks again...   
2019 Hobie Outback

dogfish30

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Well I spent another day at kayak shops yesterday and sat on a Hobie Outback again.  Messed around adjusting the seat and decided that the Outback may be the one.  I really like the 2019 too. I know there a little pricey but out of all the yaks I've sat on, other than the pro angler, I think I like this one the best. I really like the Old Town 120 too but I think the drive on the Hobie may be better for me. There's more room in the Hobie around the drive too. I'll keep looking for a used one for now but I got this yak fever pretty bad now so I might just have to pull the trigger on a new one before I retire...lol
2019 Hobie Outback

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Life is too short.  Get a new one and enjoy it.  The 2019 Outbacks are very popular.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

adamhelm67

• General Manager/Instructor/Fishing Guide Monterey Bay Kayaks
  • Salmon
  • View Profile Monterey Bay Kayaks
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
I guide out of the Oldtown Topwater PDL or the Predator PDL. I have a biased opinion as we don't sell Hobie. However, I have talked with a bunch of people that switched to the Oldtown PDL from a hobie as the Hobie was too rough on the nknees as the bicycle movement of the oldtown were easier on the knees. If you want to demo them I can set you up here at Monterey bay kayaks. I have all PDL drives in stock
Get out there and Fish!

IG:adam.helm
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKthF1LaYo43WZur6EI_6mg
Monterey Bay Kayaks
Topwater PDL 106/120
Prowler 13
Trident 13

Frenchy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Got a 2019 Outback a week of so back and went to Silver Creek reservoir yesterday to practice selfrescue before to try to big blue and so far I love it.

dogfish30

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Well I couldn't wait until January, pulled the trigger on a 2019 Hobie Outback today. I got a very good deal. One of the hardest decisions I've ever made cause I sure liked the Old Town too. I pick it up next Saturday and will be on the water somewhere by Monday...lol  Thank you all for the input.  I really appreciate it. I'm sure I'll have a flood of questions in the months to come.
2019 Hobie Outback