Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 09:40:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:24:28 AM]

[Today at 09:12:39 AM]

[Today at 08:43:48 AM]

[Today at 08:20:37 AM]

[Today at 08:12:28 AM]

[Today at 07:35:53 AM]

[Today at 06:46:52 AM]

[May 08, 2024, 09:32:40 PM]

[May 08, 2024, 04:58:49 PM]

[May 08, 2024, 12:29:15 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:30:10 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 05:11:37 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 02:59:57 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Damaged Fisha 555 Rod Holder  (Read 5547 times)

UpTheCreek

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
On 11/23 I yard-saled in about 2 ft of water at Rockaway. I had a gaffe hook in one of the flush mount rod holders and two ambush hoops on the rear deck. I'm not sure of the exact mechanics of what happened but the gaffe hook applied some torque to the rod holder. The rod holder broke off and the boat took some minor damage. I don't know much about fiberglass repairs. If anyone has any ideas on what needs to be done at this point to prevent additional damage, please speak up:) Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5HyCcYoUk08

« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 12:26:35 PM by UpTheCreek »
Matthew
San Francisco, CA

Stealth Fisha 555
Hobie Compass (seagrass)
LIVE Watersports L4 Expedition w/ 2.5 HP outboard (green hull, white deck)

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Add epoxy . Rough it up add some chopped cf or fiberglass… add a heavy backing sheet for reinforcement. Use a roller. Idk why they don’t add some alluminum backing to their stress level areas. Of course this is done on the inside.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
personally, I like to remove all damaged fiberglass, then build up from what is solid.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
I would recommend contacting Craig Davis (NCKA handle: Ravensblack) he has been involved in auto body repair professionally for decades and knows his way around this stuff rather than utilizing the an “illusion of knowledge” often presented on YT. He is in Petaluma.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

UpTheCreek

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I would recommend contacting Craig Davis (NCKA handle: Ravensblack) he has been involved in auto body repair professionally for decades and knows his way around this stuff rather than utilizing the an “illusion of knowledge” often presented on YT. He is in Petaluma.

PM sent---thanks for the lead!
Matthew
San Francisco, CA

Stealth Fisha 555
Hobie Compass (seagrass)

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Scootymeboy mentioned he did body work. Not sure if that involved fiberglass?

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
personally, I like to remove all damaged fiberglass, then build up from what is solid.

That is the route I would go. Doesn’t look like there’s access to the inside either so a top down repair, and I’d build the area up around it so there’s more glass in that area. 

If you’re not as inclined to engage in the glass repair process, a call to the local kayak shop should yield qualified repair referrals.  Should be that expensive to pay somebody for a professional repair. 
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Looks to me like you're up the creek.

(I apologize for that, but I couldn't resist...)
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Good reminder why you should stow everything before you launch and land

My 575 had similar damage when I got blown against the old pier coming in at hmb with rods still in the holders

The rod holders on Stealths are one of the weak points in their design Basically just screws going into fiberglass

UpTheCreek

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Good reminder why you should stow everything before you launch and land

My 575 had similar damage when I got blown against the old pier coming in at hmb with rods still in the holders

The rod holders on Stealths are one of the weak points in their design Basically just screws going into fiberglass

How did you deal w the damage?
Matthew
San Francisco, CA

Stealth Fisha 555
Hobie Compass (seagrass)

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
To prevent additional damage stow everything you can and don't launch or land with items in your rod holders.

My used Stealth came with that same damage, to repair and reinforce the rod holders I cut a doughnut shaped backer of PVC out of a 4" white pipe cap. I then cut the PVC from the outside to the hole in the "doughnut" so I could "thread" the backer into the rod hold and attached it to the inside of the hull around where the rod holder mounts with epoxy mixed with filler.

This makes it much stronger but of course then it would cause even more damage if your roll with things in your rod holders so it's even more imperative to make sure that doesn't happen.

I think it's a good idea to learn to do these types of repairs if your running a crispy kayak.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 12:48:29 PM by Tsuri »
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

UpTheCreek

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thank you for the reminders to stow my gear inside the boat. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a way to get three ambush hoops in there.

(I had been using the gaff in one of the holders, and lengths of PVC in the other, to secure the traps.)
Matthew
San Francisco, CA

Stealth Fisha 555
Hobie Compass (seagrass)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
To prevent additional damage stow everything you can and don't launch or land with items in your rod holders.

My used Stealth came with that same damage, to repair and reinforce the rod holders I cut a doughnut shaped backer of PVC out of a 4" white pipe cap. I then cut the PVC from the outside to the hole in the "doughnut" so I could "thread" the backer into the rod hold and attached it to the inside of the hull around where the rod holder mounts with epoxy mixed with filler.

This makes it much stronger but of course then it would cause even more damage if your roll with things in your rod holders so it's even more imperative to make sure that doesn't happen.

I think it's a good idea to learn to do these types of repairs if your running a crispy kayak.
"Crispy" :smt005 Creme yakkin'...agreed on the get down and dirty learning curve...do it the Matt way and you will succeed...just don't f it up...just kidding'... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

UpTheCreek

• Salmon
  • View Profile

cool idea w the PVC doughnuts. can you describe the "filler" you mized with the epoxy? thanks!
Matthew
San Francisco, CA

Stealth Fisha 555
Hobie Compass (seagrass)

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I use this filler or the microballon version, you can thicken the epoxy depending on the application by adding more. In this case I thickened the epoxy to a nice Skippy peanut butteor consistency and was able to apply it to boath surfaces after inserting the doughnut but before final clamp up. I also pre drilled and taped the doughnut so I could use the rod holder screws to line up and pull everything together.

Dry fitting and using something like a large feeder washers shaped to the outside of the hull to screw the layers together cleanly was necessary.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 03:23:19 PM by Tsuri »
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

anything