Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:39:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:27:07 PM]

[Today at 12:03:45 PM]

[Today at 08:28:43 AM]

[Today at 08:05:07 AM]

[Today at 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Outriggers for pulling crab pots?  (Read 1664 times)

Grandpa Poppi

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2023
I have never gone out and set crab pots on my Kayak. Have done it on an aluminum boat. I have a hobie PA 14. Do guys use outriggers to stay stabile while pulling pots or is the PA 14 stable enough on its own? Have no desire to take a swim. There is a lot of experience on this forum that I would like to learn from rather than my own mistakes.

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
No need for outriggers. When I first started crabbing from a kayak I was amazed at how easy it was to pull up my pots. That was on a 28" wide kayak. On your PA you could probably stand up and pull them  :smt002

First time I went out I practiced by dropping and retrieving them in the Half Moon Bay (Pillar Point) harbor. There is a nice how to somewhere on the forum. Try to search for it or maybe someone has the link handy.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Concur with jp52. I find securing them to the kayak while in transit and during launch/landing more difficult.
- Kevin

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Crabbing from a kayak is very common in this community.
Just adding some safety tips:
- higher chances to tip over when launching and landing; make sure gear is secure and balanced, and that if it falls, entanglement risk is minimal
- I’ve seen a lot of DIY PVC pot holders, and have seen one break when a kayaker tipped over. Those PVC a pipes are sharp. Be careful
- when pulling a pot, never let the rope tangle, and never pull it over the kayak.

None of these tips is really necessary if you don’t have accidents…
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Probably fine on your PA but do be extra careful like people are saying.  Be more conscious about weight distribution and movement.  You can easily flip over pulling a very heavy pot if your aren't being careful, or sometimes accidentally over reach trying to get a rope, etc.  With the added gear on board have a plan for what you might do in an emergency, including ditching all that stuff if necessary.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

dtizz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
Easy to pull pots from a kayak, thought it's more fun from 25' than it is from 100' (never done the latter). I usually put my legs in the water when doing anything that feels tippy. I pull from the left and pay the buoy and line over the other side - I don't see any reason not too, though I'm never crabbing in rough seas. PAs are so big it would take a lot to tip it, but it can always happen; always prepare to go in the water and have a plan and practice. Reaching behind the seat is one time things can feel tippy (in addition to waves or missing a paddle stroke) and I always put my legs in the water for that motion.

By far the worst time is coming and going with lots of gear on the kayak (e.g. four rings). Feels good when you get it all in the water and working and the kayak uncluttered. Just like fishing in the ocean, the less stuff on the kayak, the better.

I'm usually jealous of pedal kayaks, but when crabbing I'm happy to have lots of room in front of me (Viking Profish Reload) to deal with the traps and crabs. Feels like the pedals would get in the way, though I've never tried it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 11:18:01 AM by dtizz »

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I'm usually jealous of pedal kayaks, but when crabbing I'm happy to have lots of room in front of me (Viking Profish Reload) to deal with the traps and crabs. Feels like the pedals would get in the way, though I've never tried it.

My kayak is fairly short, but the pedals aren't really in the way for crabbing.  I stack hoops behind the seat, and my crab bucket gets secured just forward of the pedals.  I would use my big tandem for crabbing, because it has a TON more deck space, but the seat is the old style foam and strap deal, and I don't really want crabs crawling around in my lap, haha. 

You can easily flip over pulling a very heavy pot if your aren't being careful, or sometimes accidentally over reach trying to get a rope, etc. 

I bring my gaff for this very reason - so I don't have to reach to grab the line, I just hook it with the gaff. 
- Kevin