Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:17:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Suzuki DF2.5: Looking for advice/tip  (Read 2415 times)

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

For those of you who have the Suzuki DF2.5, I am looking for advice/tips on transport, storage, OTW issues, and others?  Your inputs are appreciated, just looking for whatever info I can get on the DF2.5.  Thanks!
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Did you find a Suzuki 2.5? I heard from a number of people saying they couldn't find one available.

I store it upright on a bathroom wheel chair at home. I built a little rack to mount it on the back of the backseat in my van for transport. And if I need to carry the motor long distance on the beach, I use the Hobie beach cart.

I never lay it on its side.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 03:55:46 PM by lucky13 »

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
Did you find a Suzuki 2.5? I heard from a number of people saying they couldn't find one available.

I store it upright on a bathroom wheel chair at home. I built a little rack to mount it on the back of the backseat in my van for transport. And if I need to carry the motor long distance on the beach, I use the Hobie beach cart.

I never lay it on its side.
Good idea on that car seat mount.  I was thinking the same thing, how do I avoid leaks if I put it on the side.  I have a motor mount that I made, but V1 can be much improved, so V2 is coming up.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:16:17 PM by yakyakyak »
2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

batt

• DcBatt
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I’ve never had a problem with laying on it’s side.  Only problem I’ve had was the gas valve leaked and I had to blow out the jets if it set for long.  I Always test fire it before a trip.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
I’ve never had a problem with laying on it’s side.  Only problem I’ve had was the gas valve leaked and I had to blow out the jets if it set for long.  I Always test fire it before a trip.
Do you drain gas before you lay on the side or just do it?

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

albiec22

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Hi Yakyakyak,

Did you get the outboard? What is your experience level with outboards, or combustion engines in general? Do you consider yourself relatively knowledgeable?

The reason I ask, is that if you think owning an outboard is like owning a modern car, think again. 4-stroke outboards can be reliable machines (at least that's what I keep telling myself), but you need to take care of them. I learned this the hard way and I'm still learning.

If you have prior experience with outboards, you can stop reading here. If not, continue.

I have a DF6A, 2018 model. I'm a first time outboard owner, never even owned a lawnmower before. I am NOT handy with motors. I do read manuals, and I like to believe that I followed the recommended servicing instructions.  But after 3 years with my outboard, I've come to the realization that the user manuals for all outboards were written with the assumption that the reader has prior working knowledge of outboards. So, here's my advice:

• Do you know anyone who has an outboard and can help you?
  • If not, be prepared to also spend ~$80 for the service manual (not the included user manual)
  • Do yourself a favor and get the extended warranty for peace of mind. I kick myself for not doing that.
  • Ask around and find a reputable repair shop that is certified by Suzuki. There are not that many in the Bay Area, and I haven't been happy with the one I go to in Antioch.
  • If it's a used outboard, then ask the original owner to take you thru their maintenance and usage.

It's pretty well documented on this board about all the issues I've had with my DF6A. This past Sunday, I *was* going to go to HMB, but on the Saturday night before, I did my test start (which I've learned to do after driving 3 hrs only to arrive at the launch with an outboard that didn't want to start, batt was spot on) and the damn outboard didn't start. I have some diagnosing to do this weekend, and my warranty just expired last month. As I said before, I don't trust the shop I've been going to, as I've taken my outboard for servicing at least once a year. My outboard has less than 100 hours on it which pisses me off. I don't know anyone near me who has an outboard or who I can ask for advice, so I'm pretty much been struggling along.

But the few times I've been able to get out on the water, the winds have died down, there's no swell, the fish are biting, birds are diving, bait is jumping and the outboard is running fine....well....what can I say?

There's something wrong with me.....

Anyone on the NCKA board willing to teach a class on outboards?

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

I think both Chet and CrazyFisher know their DF2.5 fairly well.  Would be great if either can chime in  :smt006
As far as me, I am new to outboard, but I can follow service manuals and/or youtube :)   But I am afraid about failures at sea the most and usually that starts with something on land ......

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

albiec22

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Youtube is a good resource, but it's not going to replace hands-on learning. One thing the Pandemic has taught me is that I take a lot of things for granted, including how dependent I am.

A few things I learned:
- Never ever have your outboard lying flat. I know that Suzuki claims that you can lay it on it's side, but they hide a disclaimer that this is with the gas drained. I know this, because in my first year of ownership, I frequently laid it on the side, as directed by manual. I had water somehow get into the carb. No bueno.

- Always use fresh gas that's been treated with fresh marine-grade fuel stabilizer. I made the mistake of storing a can of unused gas (without stabilizer) for 3 months and tried to use it. No bueno.

- Make sure you use new o-rings when doing oil change or gear oil change. This is obvious.

- Buy the Suzuki maintenance kit, it's about $70 and well worth it.

- If you know how to clean a carburetor or replace the impeller or a dinged prop, you should be good to go. I never learned how to do this, but I want to. I'm going to try to offer an extra $100 to the mechanic if he'll let me shadow him as he works on my outboard.

Like I said, I'm still learning, would love to hear other tips.

Chet

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
I have had fair share of problem with this outboard. I got to be honest though that I used it hard and put many hours on it. I lost the manufacturer warranty right around 1 month mark. Don’t ask me why. Lol.

Recently I just got to take it apart literally.
Good thing lower unit gears are in excellent condition.

Last week my motor cut off and I had to pedal for another 3 miles. After chasing it for a while I think the fuel pump is the problem.
Other than that it’s a reliable motor.

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_2 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=87570.0

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_1 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84409.msg959037#msg959037

=======================================

2016 Dune Hobie AI
2011 Red Hobie AI
Trident 15
Tarpon 140
Prowler 13

My adventure
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75214.0

FISHALLDAY

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I have had fair share of problem with this outboard. I got to be honest though that I used it hard and put many hours on it. I lost the manufacturer warranty right around 1 month mark. Don’t ask me why. Lol.

Recently I just got to take it apart literally.
Good thing lower unit gears are in excellent condition.

Last week my motor cut off and I had to pedal for another 3 miles. After chasing it for a while I think the fuel pump is the problem.
Other than that it’s a reliable motor.

You also forgot to mention your motor has been dropped into the ocean  :smt044

I have same motor and it's still going strong after 6-7 years. I bought it from my brother (who kept it in great condition) and have put it through hell. I've dropped it numerous times and have even driven over it with my hatchback, lol.

For those looking to clean the carburetor, check out the following video -

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

Thank you for everybody's input.  Anybody with experience about trouble at sea?  By the way, Key West Fishing in YouTube has tons of video on the DF2.5, which I think is very helpful.

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond to this one.

The Suzuki is bulletproof and dunk proof lol

At the beginning, the new motor tend to behave poorly. Some get lucky while others aren't lucky. I remember out on the water it would stop all of a sudden. Then it would take a bit to re-start it. After this I discover that there is a A/F adjustment screw. It is hidden and needs to be drilled out to access it. This is important as I notice it would run rich from the factory which caused the spark plug to get fouled. Leaning out the mixture helped a lot.

Other than that I carry extra spark plugs and even a small bottle of brake cleaner to spray in the intake side for emergency. If the motor doesn't start and you want to troubeshoot fuel issue, spray brake cleaner in the intake tube, if it starts then you know its something related to fuel delivery.

Normal maintenance. If you aren't going to use the motor for awhile, drain the fuel out of the bowl of the suzuki. There is a screw at the bottom that releases fuel from the bowl of the carb. This way the jets doesn't get clogged up.

Can't stress this enough...if you don't know how to work on the motor, only go as far as you are willing to paddle or peddle back just in case something happens. Also bring a bilge pump in case you have water in the hull.

Not sure what happen with Jake kayak but as you can see his kayak was filled with water. Drain plug left out? Crack? not sure but his kayak was about to go under if it wasn't for the boaters.

My kayak was full of water when I made the run from HMB to Pedro Point. When going full throttle, water does come in through the steering tube and rear hatch. I have a bilge pump that pumps out water. I also randomly check inside during the day just in case. 

Even if you are up on maintenance, shit happens...just be prepare.  :)

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

Thanks for that!  'saw that vid.  And absolutely yes on the how far you should go.  But that's why I read forecast and the AI has sail :)  BTW, how did u fix that problem OTW?  Just keep trying?

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

albiec22

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Hi everyone,

Turns out that the Suzuki DF4A and DF6A have a design flaw. The exhaust gaskets do not tightly seal which allows water into the exhaust valve stem. This causes rust and causes the valve to sometimes get stuck in the open position, which causes no compression. Not sure if this is true on the DF2.5A.

This is what I've learned after 2 months of tearing down the motor and finally taking it to a reputable dealer. Highly recommend Mr. Le of Voyager Marine in Alviso.

Now I'm shopping for a used Tohatsu and use the Suzuki as a back-up. Sigh.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

Thanks for that recommendation of Mr. Le of Voyager Marine.  Good luck and hope you find your next motor.  I think Chet at one point was selling a Tohatsu?

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------