Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:22:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Stealth rods fit or not?  (Read 6838 times)

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
For reference purposes if anyone is interested.

Fisha 500 fits a 7-6 rod, but not a 7-9 Dobyns swimbait rod or a 8-0 Phoenix Abyss rod. The 7-9 is close and could maybe be forced in there, but I’d rather not attempt it.

Also the rod holders will not fit the oversized butt cap that is fitted on the Abyss.

If anyone has other experiences with what fits let’s post them up for information.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Aespo90

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile My Instagram
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
Thanks for sharing.  I have a 500 up there and I should have it in short time.  I was told that it would take a 7’8” rod.  I did a ton of research trying to find out what it would hold and that’s the best answer I could get from multiple guys who have one as well as the dealer.

If I’m not mistaken the rod holder is 1.45” diameter and the butt cap on the abyss is 1.52” something like that. 

Not being able to fit an 8’ rod in the hatch is going to be a bummer but it is what it is.  On the days when I need the hatch I’ll keep em short.

Thanks again.  Will try the rod holders with all of my rods (about 30 or so) when I get mine and report back to give some info to the community as to what fits and what doesn’t.  As it stands I imagine most of the inshore rods with a full Eva butt will fit in the holders. That included most swimbait rods, but not sure about the guide select with the big foam knob on the butt.  Spinners should be good to go as they typically have a gimbal.  More concrete info coming soon.
Fishing IG: @blackflag_fishing
3D Printing IG: @stealth3dprinting
2014 Ocean Kayak T13 SOLD
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Beautiful, sorry that the longer rods are an issue. Depending on grips, butt and cap, I might investigate/consider shortening them a smidge, despite the sac religious leaning if it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 06:19:34 PM by Fisherman X »
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
My 525 will fit my 7'8" Phenix Abyss 786HD. I had to modify the butt to make it fit in the holder. My 8'2" Lami does not fit in the hatch. I don't know if my 8' Abyss would fit. Haven't tried. I can fit three rods comfortably in the hatch. I haven't tried more but feel it would be tight. My Abyss is the only rod so far that doesn't fit in the holders
A jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other end.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
My 525 will fit my 7'8" Phenix Abyss 786HD. I had to modify the butt to make it fit in the holder. My 8'2" Lami does not fit in the hatch. I don't know if my 8' Abyss would fit. Haven't tried. I can fit three rods comfortably in the hatch. I haven't tried more but feel it would be tight. My Abyss is the only rod so far that doesn't fit in the holders
So far my sabiki rod fits in the hatch and just in the mount.  I have to cut and put an aluminum dowel in my net post asap. On another note, have you mastered countersink and pilot drilling gel coat?  I'm gathering the know how and the courage to measure 8 times and drill once... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
So far my sabiki rod fits in the hatch and just in the mount.  I have to cut and put an aluminum dowel in my net post asap. On another note, have you mastered countersink and pilot drilling gel coat?  I'm gathering the know how and the courage to measure 8 times and drill once... :smt006
I have not. Haven't had the need to drill holes and too scared. Squidder or Flyaker might have some tips. Haven't done any mods to mine yet. I did extend the deck bungie on the stern and added a bungie and knob for the hatch. I recommend the knob and bungie for hatch. Easy to do. Was thinking about putting some Heli tape in a couple places but I've already scratched my yak up and don't really care as much anymore. Im thinking some kind of tape for grip on the starboard side (opposite the handle) might be nice. The glass is pretty slippery when your hands are wet. I almost dropped it once lifting to my shoulder. If your Sabiki rod is like the Ahi one, I know what you are saying, the butt is pretty fat. You could just store it in the hatch and not the holder. Also careful with the net. I had it in the holder on a launch, wasn't paying attention and it slipped out while I was messing around with my livewell (forgot to insert the plugs) :smt009 I think I might just bungie the new one down now on launches
A jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other end.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Well does this mean you’ll have to get a set of new rods 😍?

Eddie,  countersinking fiberglass gel coat ?!? That fiberglass has got to be thicker then a snickers... 
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
For science!

My Fusion 480 fits a 7' with lots of play (in the pic), a 7'6" with some tussle to get in and out.  You might try a 7'9" (I don't have one). 

Sand

TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...
Stealth Fusion / Hobie Revo 13 / NuCanoe Flint  (yeah my wife is a bit peeved)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Well does this mean you’ll have to get a set of new rods 😍?

Eddie,  countersinking fiberglass gel coat ?!? That fiberglass has got to be thicker then a snickers...
I saw an example of a self tapping screw hole under the rudder lid and have an idea of the gelcoat thickness.  The fiber glass is thin... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013

What would you need to countersink into the gel coat?
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

A counter sink bit that is not conical.  There are flat ones that stop the depth by design so one cannot over dig, the main techniques I ponder are small pilot first in exact location, then gel coat sink, then official hole for screw,  or gel coat sink first then hole for screw. :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015

A counter sink bit that is not conical.  There are flat ones that stop the depth by design so one cannot over dig, the main techniques I ponder are small pilot first in exact location, then gel coat sink, then official hole for screw,  or gel coat sink first then hole for screw. :smt006

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJFK6N6/ are what I used to buy for the USCG boats.  I still use them in woodworking applications.  They're not cheap, but they work well (buy once, cry once).  On gel coat, I always had issues with drill bits walking, so I would use a scratch awl in a twisting motion (not hitting it like you would with wood) to create a starting point that gave the bit some bite.  In delicate areas, I'd start with a 1/16 drill bit first to create a pilot hole and relieve stresses on the gel coat before going with the bigger pilot/countersink bit that might cause spider cracking.  Letting the gel coat sit in the sun or heating it with a hair dryer just a little bit would also help (you're looking for just above room temp, not soft).
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJFK6N6/ are what I used to buy for the USCG boats.  I still use them in woodworking applications.  They're not cheap, but they work well (buy once, cry once).  On gel coat, I always had issues with drill bits walking, so I would use a scratch awl in a twisting motion (not hitting it like you would with wood) to create a starting point that gave the bit some bite.  In delicate areas, I'd start with a 1/16 drill bit first to create a pilot hole and relieve stresses on the gel coat before going with the bigger pilot/countersink bit that might cause spider cracking.  Letting the gel coat sit in the sun or heating it with a hair dryer just a little bit would also help (you're looking for just above room temp, not soft).
Yay!  Can’t get enough of your skill know how for this sport!  Thanks... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Yay!  Can’t get enough of your skill know how for this sport!  Thanks... :smt006
Uh oh, I ordered that bit, much good or much pain is on the menu... :smt005

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Test on a trash piece of metal or thick plastic... to set ur depth. For the rivet head or screw you’re trying to get flush... 🙂
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.