Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:15:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Scotty lake troller pulley design problem  (Read 2727 times)

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
New idea. If you unscrew the spool off of the Laketroller, you have the base. If you sheared off the bolt that protrudes upwards and cut off the arm, you would have a flat mount that drops into a Scotty mount. Would it be possible to securely attach the Depthmaster to this?

And would the Scotty mount be able to handle 6 or 8lbs?
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Twopatch

• Salmon
  • I like my tea,in the harbor
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
LouG, Just like 4# is an improvement over a 40 oz, a 6# really helps when the fish are hugging the bottom.  Being able to dial in on what depth you are actually in. Is an asset. After about 60ft. The angle gets too steep. And a heavier weight is needed.  I use 8# in lakes. The 8# does make the kayak less stable. I have an outback, so I imagine
 the revo would be worse. It's all about trade offs.
We have the government, that our forefathers warned us about.

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
LouG, Just like 4# is an improvement over a 40 oz, a 6# really helps when the fish are hugging the bottom.  Being able to dial in on what depth you are actually in. Is an asset. After about 60ft. The angle gets too steep. And a heavier weight is needed.  I use 8# in lakes. The 8# does make the kayak less stable. I have an outback, so I imagine
I use a Cannon Lake Troll downrigger with an 8 pound weight on my Revolution.  It doesn't make the Revolution less stable, but I have mounted the downrigger so the cable is only an inch or so from the side of the kayak. See https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=12575.msg138905#msg138905.  The 8 pound weight gets blown back behind my kayak less than the 4 pound weight I used to use with my Scotty Laketroller, and keeps the weight visible on my fish finder deeper, at higher speeds, and with higher drag lures.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 11:47:45 AM by pmmpete »

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
New idea. If you unscrew the spool off of the Laketroller, you have the base. If you sheared off the bolt that protrudes upwards and cut off the arm, you would have a flat mount that drops into a Scotty mount. Would it be possible to securely attach the Depthmaster to this?

And would the Scotty mount be able to handle 6 or 8lbs?
A downrigger the size of a Depthmaster puts a lot of stress on its base when you crank up an 8 pound weight.  If you modified the Depthmaster so you can mount it on a Scotty side-deck mount, all that stress goes on the hull through the four bolts which hold the side-deck mount.  The base which comes with the Depthmaster does a better job of spreading the stress from cranking the downrigger than a side-deck mount.

LuiG

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I use a Cannon Lake Troll downrigger with an 8 pound weight on my Revolution.  It doesn't make the Revolution less stable, but I have mounted the downrigger so the cable is only an inch or so from the side of the kayak. See https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=12575.msg138905#msg138905.  The 8 pound weight gets blown back behind my kayak less than the 4 pound weight I used to use with my Scotty Laketroller, and keeps the weight visible on my fish finder deeper, at higher speeds, and with higher drag lures.

If it works for you, that’s great. My 4# ball has never left the scope of my FF, and I have never felt the need for a heavier weight.  I was surprised at the notion of going so big. What can I say ... I am tippy in my Revo. Maybe it’s my big head or my fat mouth.  I guess I do need heavier balls!! :smt003
Hobie Revo 13

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
I was in engineering mode this weekend, trying to solve the coming-off-loose-pulley problem on the Scotty Laketroller.
Solution number one was a shot in the dark but looks the best so far. Got a high end $16 Harken pulley that’s just small enough that it sits high enough so that the line doesn’t rub on the spool. Connected it with a solid ring and I’m in business. I was concerned that the U shape of the pulley isn’t deep enough and the line may jam between the cheeks and the pulley but not so. It’s a tight, beautifully built pully. And it has roller bearings.

The $3 solution came from Home Cheapo in the form of a nylon bushing and a binding aluminum post to replace the Scotty original stainless steel screw and plastic bushing. Works great, but I had to drill the nylon as the inside diameter was too small. Spins very smooth too.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 07:44:22 PM by li-orca »
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16