Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:55:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 03:09:46 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: [FAIL] $0.56 Hobie V2 Mirage drive chain repair?  (Read 4019 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I broke the cable on one of my Mirage drive chains as I was coming into the Santa Cruz harbor today. Conditions were sporty, and it could have been serious if not for there being sufficient wind to sail unassisted.

A while back, I replaced a broken idler cable with bungee cord, and that's been working remarkably well. The bungee cord pops off the idler pulley about once every 20 miles of pedaling, but you can still pedals without it, and it's trivial to put it back on in real-time.

So, I'm wondering of there is a cheap fix for a broken chain. My plan is to keep the chain part, and replace the cable with sailing (i.e., no stretch) rope. I plan to tie the rope thru the first link in the chain, and then secure it at the same place that the cable threads into. Unfortunately, the rope in the picture is just slightly too large in diameter, so I'll have to make a run to West Marine.

I'm wondering whether anybody sees any obvious flaw in this plan. One obvious drawback is that it'll be a pain to get it tied to the correct length, and then it won't be adjustable. But, that's one-time work, and I think it's do-able.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 02:57:09 PM by NowhereMan »
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

jremi

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
no immediate issue I see but if it fails otw the drive is basically useless and you're gonna have to find another way back. You have a sail so it could be OK but a non sail kayak is a bit SOL. though the drive does "work" with only 1 fin it's much less than comfortable.

Hope it works out though because I broke both drive cables last year, the idler this year, and now both of my masts this year. Figure at one point or another I'm bound for round 2 with the drive cables so a 1$ fix sounds a lot more appealing than a 70$ fix. your bungee cord idler fix is ~30 miles in and still working on my drive so I have faith.  Just need2 find a mast quick fix bc drilling it out is a huge pita.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 06:41:30 PM by jremi »
olive revo13 + red sweatshirt

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
broken mirage cables plagued me last year during trolling season and know all too well about this.  had a similar thought like you to fix it with non stretch rope. But never got a chance to try it out since I found a spare. love to see how this fix works out for you NWM. Only thing I was concerned about was if there was going to be too much friction on the rope near the cable causing it to break

one thing that I do more now is give the cables extra TLC by spraying it with silicon lube or wd40…and checking the tension. so far it’s helped a ton with prolong life
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:34:08 AM by HazardousCliff »
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
nice, hope it works and lasts long.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
broken mirage cables plagued me last year during trolling season and know all too well about this.  had a similar thought like you to fix it with non stretch rope. But never got a chance to try it out since I found a spare. love to see how this fix works out for you NVM. Only thing I was concerned about was if there was going to be too much friction on the rope near the cable causing it to break

one thing that I do more now is give the cables extra TLC by spraying it with silicon lube or wd40…and checking the tension. so far it’s helped a ton with prolong life
DangerousCliff and NoVareMan, said in Russian accent...  :smt006

“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
The weak point of the Hobie drive design is the connection of cable to chain. I have broke cables before also but chose to buy, from Hobie, replacement parts as the simplest way forward. If ocean fishing I carry a spare chain/cable part with wrench to replace on the water. Obviously this repair cannot take place between breaker sets or similar hazards. I just consider the replacement expense as part of owing a Hobie and replace if ANY cable fraying is spotted at the connection or coloration has changed from SS silver to oxidized brown.
Charles

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I'm impressed by your replacement bungee idler cable, that seems like such a simple fix.  Going to carry some extra bungee in my drybag from now on.  On the drive chain replacement I feel like the tensioning of the cable is pretty important, and not sure how you would accomplish it with a cord, but i'm all ears and look forward to seeing what you come up with.  If you happen to need a V2 drive in the meantime, I have a one I can loan you if it helps.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Definitely just buy the hobie replacement.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
broken mirage cables plagued me last year during trolling season and know all too well about this.  had a similar thought like you to fix it with non stretch rope. But never got a chance to try it out since I found a spare. love to see how this fix works out for you NVM. Only thing I was concerned about was if there was going to be too much friction on the rope near the cable causing it to break

DangerousCliff and NoVareMan, said in Russian accent...  :smt006

:smt005 need to stop posting right before bed
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I think it'll work pretty well, but only if you replace 1 of the 2 cables, but not both. With the setup in the pictures, I was able to do the fine adjustment using the nuts on the surviving Hobie cable. If I tried to replace both, getting the cable tension right would be difficult, at best.

Anyways, I'll try it out in the next week or so and report back. The only possible issue I can see is that it might be more prone to slip off the guides, but with the right tension, I don't think that'll be an issue.

Btw, that's a bowline knot of the chain, and figure 8 on the other end...

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Oh nice, hadn't thought of that!  Look forward to seeing your results!
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Thinking about this some more...

It seems to me that a small eye bolt at the top would make it adjustable. Since the other cable needs to be replaced before it breaks, I think I'll give it a try. If it works, I suspect the rope will prove to be a lot more bulletproof than the Hobie cable.

Of course, then it'll be a lot more that $0.56, but a lot less than the $56 that Hobie charges per chain.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
This looks like it's exactly what I need, but these things are ridiculously expensive. I need to figure out a way to accomplish the same thing with a 1/4" stanlesss bolt...

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Eyebolt-Lifting-Length-Threads/dp/B009SVY1XO/

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 01:38:24 PM by SlackedTide »
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
https://www.e-rigging.com/quarter-inch-x-two-and-three-quarter-inch-stainless-eye-eye-turnbuckle

Bingo! Thanks.

It turns out that shipping is $11.50 for a $4.50 part. Have to look around some more, but that looks like it should work...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 01:47:26 PM by NowhereMan »

anything