Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Recipe Report 6/14  (Read 1751 times)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Halibut Scrap and Prawn Pasta

Filleted my 6th hali of the year.  31" and 10lbs. Sausalito, 6/11.  My buddy Zander pulled up on his Livingston and showed me his ikejime style. Saved me some windy work.  When I Ike a fish it can be distracting regarding positioning and drift depending on the weather and it was a blowin'.

I was tired when it came time to fillet it but I'm glad I did when I did it because I had time and considered wasting time driving to a bait shop and talking' story and spending money.  If your fish is iced you can retain it for many days but I preferred not to procrastinate based on my 15 minute lifestyle. 

As I was cleaning it there were so many strips and nuggets of clean meat that went in a separate bag for ceviche and possibly hali poke.

Today we fished and skunked less a couple "stinkrays". between Sakana and I and we ended up talkin' ceviche options, poke options and maybe eatin' a stinkray.  I have and they are quite delectable if prepared well.  "Poor mans brisket"  in Virginia I've heard served in the finest restaurants of yesteryear...If you want to try stingray, pm me and we'll go all pinoy style.  Well, more Maui and Curry or just cookem'...

My wife mentioned when I got home all tired and fairly skunked and grumpy, you're cookin
dinner right?  Uhhhh...right...ceviche for everyone!  I'm on it...

Time got short and I had all these keelah scraps and cheeks and nuggets so I thawed them and rinsed em in salt water and dried it and let it drain in a colander.

I used to work in an Italian restaurant as your favorite waiter and a French one as well.  I flashed on a seafood pasta idea because it was time.;  I added prawns because I had 1/2lb of scraps and not enough to feed us five protein wise.

Procedure as follows

Olive Oil
Add Garlic to aroma not too brown
Add Julienne fresh basil with touch of chopped capers
Added chicken stock with prawn tails for fishy essence
Reduced until satisfied, high heat to simmer then taste.
Add whip cream and butter for more reduction non dietary goodness.  Taste...if happy dump in scraps and diced prawn.
Cook until happy with consistency. 
Add to precooked pasta of choice.  We had some Costco organic kinda penne thin folded
noodle product.
Add grated hard cheese and lemon juice.
Feed to kids and tell em' how good it is and fresh and tasty and they seemed to gobble it down with not too much "what is that?"  or, faux yummy gratitude.  I think they liked it.  Wife did so I'm happy.

Proportions are intuitive yet specific if you have questions...

Bon Appetit to me... :smt005 :smt006
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 07:50:36 PM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Read this twice :smt002

The Wife is happy ! Great ending!

Which Italian restaurant ?
Baci Cafe, Mill Valley, Love the Pizzuti's, rough marriage but in the restaurant, if you survive that, you are gold.  Raddichio with Teleme, Carbonara, Pizza, I've got a keelah fresh tomato recipe that I layer my lasagna with including grilled eggplant and chard, Carpaccio with dijon capers OO and red onion, Pollo Mattone, marinate and grill under a brick,,,dang...so good...

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
One of my Uncles , Antonio.. used to sell seafood around Marin Co. back in the day-don’t know if he did there ..Sorry I’m chuckling to myself cuz Eggplant and Chard brings back memories..heck I grilled some Melanzana for myself tonight LOL
I'm certainly a chard addict.  Let's eat in due time, we could tear up one of these potlucks of yesteryear... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

anything