Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:10:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie finally delivered!  (Read 4264 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I suggest you register your TI as soon as possible.  Its required by law. I used to own a AI and waited several months to register it. When I went in person to DMV to register it, the clerk asked for a bill of sale. She noted that the bill of sale was several months old and added a late fee. I cant remember how much it was.
I have a buddy on this site who waited several years to register his AI and was fined $500 on top of the registeration fee.

I bought my AI for $20 last week. That's my story and I'm sticking with it, at least when/if I register it at the DMV...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

ark

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Boats can be pieces of plastic. I mean you're paying 4k for expensive pieces of plastic. Besides, there are some ground rules for boat classification and rules have to be very specific to prevent loopholes. I mean when I used to shore fish, I remember that having a fishing license was not necessary on piers. But to classify a pier, the state had to indicate that it was an artificial or man made structure surrounded on 3 sides by water.

In any case, one of the rules indicate that if the boat has paddles or oars (regardless of size), it does not have to be registered. I don't know if the AI can be powered by paddles but if it does, it might not need to be registered.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/new-registration/register-your-boat-vessel/

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Boats can be pieces of plastic. I mean you're paying 4k for expensive pieces of plastic. Besides, there are some ground rules for boat classification and rules have to be very specific to prevent loopholes. I mean when I used to shore fish, I remember that having a fishing license was not necessary on piers. But to classify a pier, the state had to indicate that it was an artificial or man made structure surrounded on 3 sides by water.

In any case, one of the rules indicate that if the boat has paddles or oars (regardless of size), it does not have to be registered. I don't know if the AI can be powered by paddles but if it does, it might not need to be registered.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/new-registration/register-your-boat-vessel/

That's not a list exclusive of the first.  The idea is that if it is only powered by oars/paddles then it doesn't need to be registered.  The rule that gets the AI is that it's sail-driven and over 8' in length overall.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I thought the AI had to be registered if sailing was your main method of transportation. Like, if you paddle it 75% of the time, then it’s still just a kayak.
They make small folding sails that can be used on any kayak nowadays (possibly in the event of an emergency etc). If you have one of those stored inside the hull, would you need to register your kayak with the DMV?
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
I thought the AI had to be registered if sailing was your main method of transportation. Like, if you paddle it 75% of the time, then it’s still just a kayak.
They make small folding sails that can be used on any kayak nowadays (possibly in the event of an emergency etc). If you have one of those stored inside the hull, would you need to register your kayak with the DMV?

It's the opposite.  If it were solely human-powered, it would be exempt.  If it were solely sail-driven and 8' or less, it would be exempt.  The relevant law is in CVC §9873.

As far as buying sail kits for other kayaks, that would also trigger the requirement to register and get CF numbers.  This is similar to throwing a trolling motor on the 'yak -- I would need to register and display CF numbers at that point.

We still have it quite nice here in California... there are states that require all kayaks to be registered regardless of propulsion.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

lngdoan

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021

Fen

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
I went ahead and registered it a couple weeks ago, sorry for the late reply. Injuries at work are fun. Sadly the wind is a bit much for a beginner to head out yet :(

As to the discussion about the laws/rules/regulations on the AI/TI.... what the dude outside the DMV asked was if it was powered by sail more than 50% of the time, then it'd need to be registered. The lady inside had no clue why I was registering a 'sailing kayak' as she has never even heard of it apparently. I guess it was hit or miss either way but at least now Sheriff's can't be on me... I mean I got carded on my literal first outing not 20 min into my rid all because my main sheet line came undone and I had to redo the line through all the pulleys. :/ That was fun, the whole 'I haven't seen you here before'. I should bring my county badge with me since it has the county seal and maybe the sheriff's won't mess with me as much xD

NWH, did you get another AI? :o

Does anyone here ever go out just for a sail? I'm still missing funds for my fishing gear and jury duty is calling. Being a season employee I don't get paid for jury duty so it's going to be a hot minute or 86,400 minutes until I can afford a rod (paying for install of some gear on the boat first as I don't want to mess the warranty, nor do I have appropriate tools). If you do go for a sail (on saturdays) and operate off the sf bay or nearby let me know! Would love to bother you and learn. ^.^
'21 Hobie Tandem Island

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Sailing the AI is super-easy, as there is just one rope (tie the mast and furling ropes together). It takes a while to perfect your technique. Read this first and go out in a gentle 6 knot wind, and after 10 minutes on the water, you’ll be 75% of the way to perfection:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=39153.0
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 09:07:22 PM by NowhereMan »
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

anything