Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:38:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:28:43 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Makin Bacon 🥓  (Read 2057 times)

Recon

• Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -HDT
  • Salmon
  • Scouts lead the way!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
I picked up a few pounds of quality pork belly because I wanted to make my own bacon. I dry cured it in the refrigerator in a mixture of salt, spices, herbs, and maple syrup. I flipped the package daily to disperse the cure mixture and extracted fluids. After eight days I rinsed the pork and placed it on a rack in my refrigerator to form a pellicle for 24 hours. I used the cold smoker attachment on my Master Built electric smoker and didn’t even turn the main unit on. I smoked it for four hours in a mixture of alder, apple, and cherry chips. I wrapped the bacon and put it in the refrigerator to chill overnight. This morning I sliced it thick and fried it up with large duck eggs I happen to have. It was all delicious! Some takeaways; I probably went overboard on my spice mixture and will keep it more simple in the future. Also, it might’ve been a little too much smoke so maybe next time I will cut it down to 3 hours, or 3:30 smoke time.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 02:23:53 PM by Recon »

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Gooooood Stuff!  Thanks for sharing.   :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Pacifico

• Oye! Que Vida!
  • Sea Lion
  • 12 seconds! That's all I need!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
The bacon looks good.   I've been making it for a while now.  We don't eat very much store bought bacon anymore.

If it's got too much smoke for you now, let  it sit for a few days. The smoke will mellow out.

I have only hot smoked, but I see that a lot of people cold smoke for about 24 hours...some of them go 6 hours in smoke and then put it in the fridge to rest and repeat 4 times.  Of course everyone has their own way of making "the best" bacon so following someones method may or may not work for everyone.

I'm going to try making Canadian bacon in the next couple of weeks if I can run across both time and energy at the same time.

A couple of days ago Art and I were talking about putting together some sausages.
Rub-cifico

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
A couple of days ago Art and I were talking about putting together some sausages.

Ummmm .... ok.   :smt044

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
If it's got too much smoke for you now, let  it sit for a few days. The smoke will mellow out.

^This

-Allen

RHYAK

• Offshore fishing the Blue
  • Sea Lion
  • Picture, Catch and Release
  • View Profile Central Coast Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Nice just sliced some up myself two nights ago. Always taste better when you brine yourself and smoke it.

Recon

• Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -HDT
  • Salmon
  • Scouts lead the way!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
The bacon looks good.   I've been making it for a while now.  We don't eat very much store bought bacon anymore.

I have only hot smoked, but I see that a lot of people cold smoke for about 24 hours...some of them go 6 hours in smoke and then put it in the fridge to rest and repeat 4 times.  Of course everyone has their own way of making "the best" bacon so following someones method may or may not work for everyone.

I'm going to try making Canadian bacon in the next couple of weeks if I can run across both time and energy at the same time.

24 hours of smoke is a lot of smoke. I love lox and it is not too smoky so maybe I overdid it with my chips or some thing?