Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:56:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Outback New Hull Rough Water Worthy?  (Read 3167 times)

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
The new (2019 onward) Outback hull is out for some times now. I would like to hear first hand feedback on how the hull is doing in our ocean, particularly, in rough condition. About a month ago, Tong and I were in some nasty weather. We virtually got out and decided to come back in due to the strong east wind. We were on the water for about an hour. White caps and fast drift at 2+ knots. Water coming over the bow. What really surprised me is that my 2017 outback is virtually dry inside, but Tong said he has about 4g of water. I would like to know if this is an individual case, or others have experience the same amount of water in their newer hull OB in such condition. I heard about the faulty front hatch rubber gasket problem on some of the earlier 2019 OB. Maybe the newer ones don't have this problem? Interested to hear your feedback. Although I am very happy with my 2017 OB, the new hull's bigger Lowrance ready is growing on me.
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
It seems to take water over the top very easily which leads to water coming in through that front hatch, mine was outfitted with the second gasket on the lid but it still takes in water. I never expect it to stay dry in there. So far ive only been caught in about 2 ft wind chop in a lagoon and had to put away my fishing gear and just focus on surfing the waves and playing the rudder it was pretty fun. I could have brought out my paddle if I was really worried. maybe at worst I've had 2 cups of water from a full day
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I have 2019 and a 2016 so I can compare the hulls. My 2016 will take on a couple of cups of water on a sloppy day with lots of water coming over the bow. Before adding the gasket to fix the defective original my 2019 would take on a lot more water, several cups even on moderate days. After adding the second gasket fix, my 2019 is dryer than my 2016. Even with a lot of water coming over the bow there is almost no water inside, less than my 2016. I could see how you might get variable results with the fix if the new gasket does not align with the existing gasket. Hopefully, this is not an issue with the redesigned gasket. Also because of the shape more water breaks over the bow of the 2019 than the 2016. I think the 2019 works great in our waters and I like it a lot more than the 2016.

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Caulk around hatch edges and every attachment point should help. The rear well bungee eyelets (right behind the seat) on my Compass had actual holes in them. Also the passthrough for the Lowrance FF install is a spot to put Silicone caulk. This stopped my leaks
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I had to fiddle with the front hatch gasket to get it sealed up right but now it stays dry. I keep a front hatch liner in there just in case. On the worst days I take maybe a cup or two of water.

Here’s some pictures of taking waves and I got a cup or two of water in.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=93454.msg1053732#msg1053732

Before I redid the hatch gasket it took in much more water.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Beansach

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
The hull itself performs well in rough water, but my 2019 outback takes on a fair bit of water through the front hatch.

Installing the second gasket helped marginally. Thin floppy gasket on thin floppy gasket imo is not an elegant fix.

Cutting a foam floor pad and sticking it in hatch lid helped somewhat more, but it still takes on more water than I would like.

This is not just punching through bigger surf when I expect it but basically any water moving over the top.

I have heard that replacing the gasket on the bottom lip with a taller/fatter gasket works really well, anyone had luck finding a gasket that  fits well?

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks a lot guys! Very valuable info! Anyone know if the 2020 hull fixed the gasket problem?
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

tonggao

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
Thanks James for asking, and thanks everyone for sharing your experience! Even though the waves were not huge that day, the wind induced highly frequent waves were pouring over the front hatch every few seconds when I headed back towards beach, and I stayed in the water a lot longer than James before decided to head back. The yak felt heavy on the way back, but I did not realize how much water it took in until I tried to tilt it on the beach to put on the wheels, basically I could not move it on the beach. I already sealed all the holes around the front hatch, so the water has to be coming in above the front hatch gasket. On a dry day, I do not get any water in the hull. I bought the yak when the new model first came out in 2018, and I am not sure if it is an early production problem.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 07:38:02 PM by tonggao »

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
There was a recall that doubled up the front hatch gasket. I don’t believe that they changed anything beyond just doubling up the gasket on the later 2019-2020 kayaks. Mine was an early one with the single gasket. If yours doesn’t have the double gasket check with Hobie for the recall.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I don’t own an Outback but if you’re having trouble with a leaky front hatch, you might want to Google to see some of the things that AI/TI owners have done. The front hatch on those boats tend to leak and sailing puts a ton of water over the top, which is a bad combination.

So, AI owners have gotten pretty creative with solutions. A lot of people use yoga mats, as has been mentioned here. Some use pipe insulation. Some swear by a “shower cap” type of approach. Me, I’ve put a loop of squishy 3/4” silicone tubing in the groove around the outside of the hatch—no matter how much things flex, a watertight seal is maintained.

Anyways, IDK if any of this might be helpful, but if I was getting more than a couple of cups of water (regardless of conditions), I’d be experimenting until I found something that would work. Gallons of water in the hull is a serious safety issue, IMHO.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

James, as long as the new outback has the updated gasket, i think you will be fine.  My 2019 scoops water all the time, lots of recurrences of water over the front hatch (like 3J$) since I sail and motor on it, not to mention surf launches and waves.   I get some water inside on a very super wet day, but never enough to be of concern (i.e. less than 2 cups).  Of course I also carry  pump and noodles inside.  Gonna put some floaties in it soon.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

DrDave

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Great thread as I was thinking of getting an Outback to update my old Revo. My Revos get little to no water in the hull (minus the shark bite on the one :smt012) and tend to ride high enough even during sloppy conditions. I have been reading a great deal on both the new outback or thinking just getting the newer Revo. Definitely differences and a tough choice.
Best, David
“This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

I think the new 2019+ Outback is a winner, so versatile, enough speed, and good stability.  The drawback is the hobie expensive, but I think the hull pay for itself.  Probably my best overall kayak so far.

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thank you all again! You guys convinced me that the new hull is worth the investment. I really like my 17 Outback, and if you guys are telling me the new one is even better, I am going to look for one.

I think the new 2019+ Outback is a winner, so versatile, enough speed, and good stability.  The drawback is the hobie expensive, but I think the hull pay for itself.  Probably my best overall kayak so far.

Thanks a lot Victor! I really don't blame Hobie expensive. I rather have them to keep it this way and make good products. Not to mention, their warranty program is really good as well.
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Another one for the 19 Outback!!! :smt003
Got mine 10/19 so I have the single gasket. As the pics show this is my easy fix for the water issue, just clamps down harder and never seem to see Water inside!
Being tall 6’4” I was getting alot of water over the bow too.
I kind of redesigned how the seat attaches and moved it back 8”.
That helped my kayak “fit” me better and cured the water over the bow!
A bit heavy but so nice OTW!!!

Scotty
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420