Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:17:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fish Sauce: My First Batch  (Read 6863 times)

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Is this in a closed jar? If so, I would imagine getting the salt ratio correct is pretty crucial to prevent botulism.

Hey Rick, my brother did a lot of asking around about this, and botulism - to my understanding - can't occur above 10% to 12% salt - so if you're at 20% you're fine. And yes, it's a sealed jar.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Any particular salt you use, sea salt, morton?

Kosher, non-iodized.

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Have not read through all of this but skimmed the first few. Good reading for this project.

https://www.fda.gov/media/80310/download
IG: @sakana_seeker

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Just finished my first batch with herring.  20% salt, fermented 10 months, half at room temp and half at 82F.

Anchovy batch is looking almost ready and that has been 4 months at 82F.  The warmer temp really sped things up.

Very tasty stuff. 

zilla

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I’m gonna try this with mackinaw and Hawaiian rock salt. Rat Macks are plentiful. Thinking of just cubing up whole fish. Will report later.

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Just finished my first batch with herring.  20% salt, fermented 10 months, half at room temp and half at 82F.

Anchovy batch is looking almost ready and that has been 4 months at 82F.  The warmer temp really sped things up.

Very tasty stuff.

A successful first batch!

I have a question: how did you keep it so warm? Heating pad? I've been having trouble keeping it warm enough and I think it's slowing down my process. During the summer hot spells I was storing them in my car, but those days are over for a while.

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Is there an optimal temp?

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I put them in my bread proofer which I keep at 82.

Another way would be a heating pad.  I have one I got off amazon that wraps around a 1 gallon jar I use for kombucha.

Seedling heating pads also work and are inexpensive.

I've found with most fermentation something in the high 70s is good.  I just happen to keep the proofer at 82 for bread consistency.

Herefishy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
I have eaten my share of fish sauce here and there and fished for over 60 years. Never considered this. See this interesting commercial fish sauce YouTube. https://www.google.com/search?q=making+fish+sauce+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#kpvalbx=_ph3RX5PzBsqEsAXcjZbACw3

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I put them in my bread proofer which I keep at 82.

Another way would be a heating pad.  I have one I got off amazon that wraps around a 1 gallon jar I use for kombucha.

Seedling heating pads also work and are inexpensive.

I've found with most fermentation something in the high 70s is good.  I just happen to keep the proofer at 82 for bread consistency.

And how dissolved were your herring? I'm still seeing shiny heads in some of mine. I think everything in theory should dissolve to sludge. I'm leaning towards a heating pad to give it a boost.

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I have eaten my share of fish sauce here and there and fished for over 60 years. Never considered this. See this interesting commercial fish sauce YouTube. https://www.google.com/search?q=making+fish+sauce+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#kpvalbx=_ph3RX5PzBsqEsAXcjZbACw3

That Thai fish sauce uses a 50% salt ratio.  Andrew or anyone try different salt ratio and what different flavors that may yield? 

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

That Thai fish sauce uses a 50% salt ratio.  Andrew or anyone try different salt ratio and what different flavors that may yield?

They are basically saturating with salt.  The end product has 25% salt (stated in the video), which is slightly below the 26.2% needed to saturate water.  You can see the excess salt crystals in the vat as well as mention of product being filtered through salt as it is drained from the bottom.

-Allen

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

They are basically saturating with salt.  The end product has 25% salt (stated in the video), which is slightly below the 26.2% needed to saturate water.  You can see the excess salt crystals in the vat as well as mention of product being filtered through salt as it is drained from the bottom.

-Allen

Makes sense.  Vid also said the liquid is flitered by a layer of salt. 

How did your herring fish sauce turn out?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 12:50:25 PM by spinal tap »

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

-Allen

Makes sense.  Vid also said the liquid is flitered by a layer of salt. 

How did your herring fish sauce turn out?

It was a fun exercise, but it wasn't Red Boat.  For the amount of fish sauce I use, I'll just buy the good stuff.

-Allen

anything