Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:02:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Official GWS Thread  (Read 196157 times)

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
it's wishful thinking
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

El Cap

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I was blasted out of my Cobra Tourer (which is 15' and very heavy) by a GW about 2 years ago off Pescadero - you can search for my post on this forum.  From the bite marks it was estimated to be 10-12', and it hit hard enough to launch me in the water and flip the kayak over.  I climbed on the overturned kayak and remained there like that for quite a while, until my buddy paddled over, and until my heart rate calmed down.  Then I had to get back in the water and flip the boat over - which I did in record time!  I got the nerve to go back out fishing 3 months later in the same area, and was buzzed by an even larger GW - swam alongside of me w/ dorsal fin out of water, spun around bow and i poked him in the back with my rod tip.  I don't kayak fish on the coast here anymore, I fish off boats.

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I was blasted out of my Cobra Tourer (which is 15' and very heavy) by a GW about 2 years ago off Pescadero - you can search for my post on this forum.  From the bite marks it was estimated to be 10-12', and it hit hard enough to launch me in the water and flip the kayak over.  I climbed on the overturned kayak and remained there like that for quite a while, until my buddy paddled over, and until my heart rate calmed down.  Then I had to get back in the water and flip the boat over - which I did in record time!  I got the nerve to go back out fishing 3 months later in the same area, and was buzzed by an even larger GW - swam alongside of me w/ dorsal fin out of water, spun around bow and i poked him in the back with my rod tip.  I don't kayak fish on the coast here anymore, I fish off boats.
Damn!! Seen them up close and personal. That area where you at hold the biggest and baddest GWS. I still fish it  :smt044
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Welcome to the "BLASTED" club!......good to read that no blood was shed and that you escaped physically unharmed. I continued to fish the area the following year, but it was not fun there anymore, mentally.
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Last Wednesday at the Farallons - from Coastside, photos by Seadevil. Taxman vs furbag. Estimated at 15’
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Another kayaker attacked by GWS in Cambria this morning. Waiting to hear the details.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
A lil something I found on another forum about the Cambria attack

https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/white-shark-attack-today.1052153/
2018 Hobie outback camo
Equinox angler 12 ft
Yes I am a plumber (Hardy's plumbing)
Nic G's catch tackle pro staff

Deepwater

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2019

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
According to the photos, the guy was wearing a GoPro
Pics? Video?
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

Yosemite Rob

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Was there another one off Carmel yesterday (10/26)? A local came down to SWS launch around noon and claimed there was an attack around 9-10am off Carmel Beach, but I didn't see anything anywhere to confirm. It was the guy with the smart car looking BMW electirc subcompact that I see pretty regularly at the launch so seemed credible. He didn't say where he heard it from.
formerly Da roblo, Diroblo, white devil, etc..

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
After a lot of time in/on/under the water I finally saw my first GWS on Friday.

Was diving down by Monterey over a sandy area looking for early season flat fish (didn't see any), and as soon as I dropped into the murky green water I saw something...

Honestly wasn't sure what it was so kicked towards it, and it came more into focus and saw what looked like a big back half of a shark body and tail moving away from me...

Still wasn't entirely sure what it was so kicked towards it again, and the tail swung again moving the (by now pretty obvious) shark away...

At that point my brain decided since it was swimming away I should probably let it go and not mess with it.  :smt005

Wasn't able to see the dorsal fin or pec fins or head...assuming it was bigger than me cuz think otherwise would have seen whole body even in the limited viz..

Came up and told the guy I was diving with what I had seen and the direction it was moving (south) and so we decided to head the opposite direction.

Dove for a few more hours and didn't see the shark again.

I know they are there (obviously) and am sure I have been close to them in the past, but was pretty cool to finally see one.

GoPro was rolling but unfortunately the footage sucks and even with my attempts at color correction is barely worth looking at.  :smt009

Here it is if you wanna try and decipher the shape out in the murk...the tail is pretty obvious but besides that it sucks.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdEFyGHpBZo/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Will be quite happy if never see one again, but if I do I hope the water is clearer so can get a better look at it.

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 03:27:40 PM by BigJim »

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
So Jim, your saying yous scared a GWS while diving?  :smt044  Did you try and give it a hug or shake it's fin?   :smt008  I'm betting that the GWS's have their own forum and thread on "Official BigJim Sightings"  :smt005
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 03:38:35 PM by AlsHobieOutback »
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Holy Mother of fishes! Thats a big shark jim! The fact you are following the tail just made like what?! I will be swimming the opposite way for sure!
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
eeek**(((shudders)))** and then swims away goes the taxman

anything