Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 10:55:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:05:37 PM]

[Today at 07:59:32 PM]

[Today at 06:30:10 PM]

[Today at 05:11:37 PM]

[Today at 02:59:57 PM]

[Today at 10:47:14 AM]

[Today at 10:41:39 AM]

[May 06, 2024, 07:41:04 PM]

by ark
[May 06, 2024, 07:35:15 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 05:30:34 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 04:22:01 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 12:12:45 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:01:16 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fatherly Advice  (Read 1472 times)

Yakker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2019
I know we are all dealing with the pandemic and it's consequences in our own way, and I wanted to provide a distraction by asking for some advice.  Hopefully it will provide people with fond memories, helpful discussion, sage advice and maybe some hilarious stories.

I am expecting my first child, a boy, on May 23rd.  I have thought a lot about my own interests and how I would like to give my kid a chance to sample the many activities that are a part of my life so that he can grow up well-rounded and hopefully continue with some of the things I enjoy.  My hope was, whether it be a son or daughter, that my kid would grow to enjoy at least one of my interests whether it be cooking, hunting, hiking, gardening, fishing, reading, running etc.  Given this forum, let's focus on fishing.

To all of the parents out there, and also the uncles, aunts, older siblings, friends etc.    I know it's years away for me, but what is your advice on how to introduce a kid to fishing?  What places or methods would be a good call?  What age would you start?  Any hilarious stories or fond memories?  I appreciate you sharing any wisdom you may have.

I hope everyone stays safe, and thanks in advance for your advice.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
The kids go ape shit for blue gills... waxworms w a bobber keeps them interested for an hr or so. They love kayaking too... I throw tennis balls  around on the lake and they race to retrieve. Teaches them how to maneuver their kayaks. Owning their own fishing pole also.  I just got them  a basic ice fishing pole . So it’s easy for them to handle not too big.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I am still figuring this one out, but I think my main advice would be to be sure the outing will be a success regardless of how the fishing is: enjoy being outside with them, talk about what you see, listen to them, bring snacks they like, and make sure they get to help with as many things as possible so they feel engaged and responsible.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Something that is fast and furious. Herring, yellow perch, bluegill, etc.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

zilla

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Bacon and crawdads will keep them entertained way longer then fishing when they are young and easily bored!

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Try a trout farm first around 5 yrs old.  I took many kids to trout farms and they had a wonderful time and experience.

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Give em' some paracord and make em' tie good knots for no apparent reason.  Karate Kid style.  Wax on, wax off...then when they tie up those rigs they'll never know what a curly unwound knot looks like because we were lazy or "knot deficient."   Happy 3rd birthday son.  Here's some birthday cake colored paracord for your gift.  Let em' play with worms and fresh herring so they don't balk at the creepy factor or smell...just brainstormin'...honestly I hope all goes perfectly well with your birth.  Be well... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I don't remember my first fishing outing.  My dad loved his trout fishing.  Took the whole family on a weekend campout on Antelope Creek out of Red Bluff just so HE could fish!  Mom was stuck in camp with a 4 year old, a 2 year old and me as a 3 month old.  That is most likely when I caught the fishing disease.  Started fly fishing at 10 on the Shasta River outside Yreka.  Hooked my entire life.  Started saltwater 12 years ago.  I started my son at 8 years of age. But I failed as a father.  I could not keep him interested enough so he found other distractions.

My one suggestion for your son, buy him a lifetime fishing license while he is young.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Give em' some paracord and make em' tie good knots for no apparent reason.  Karate Kid style.  Wax on, wax off...then when they tie up those rigs they'll never know what a curly unwound knot looks like because we were lazy or "knot deficient."   Happy 3rd birthday son.  Here's some birthday cake colored paracord for your gift.  Let em' play with worms and fresh herring so they don't balk at the creepy factor or smell...just brainstormin'...honestly I hope all goes perfectly well with your birth.  Be well... :smt006
This is key. Start em on the small stuff. Even a Barbie rod to cast in the yard. Then when they outgrow that it makes for a fun and challenging day of fishing for you with it. I've actually used on with a sabiki to jig Hali bait. My daughter plays with every catch I bring home. My son is 5 months old but I'm gonna chalk him up to being a natural🎣💪👍
2018 Hobie outback camo
Equinox angler 12 ft
Yes I am a plumber (Hardy's plumbing)
Nic G's catch tackle pro staff

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Congrats on fatherhood! Funny that you asked this question...today my 3 yr old son saw some of my jerk baits hanging in my man-cave area, and wanted them. So I removed the hooks, handed it to him and now he brings them everywhere. He also plays on top of my hobie out in the backyard.

If he sees your fishing toys around or sees you fishing, he's going to be interested. Then take him fishing when he's old enough.

2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Bacon and crawdads will keep them entertained way longer then fishing when they are young and easily bored!

YES!!!
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Do what you normally do and take them along.
I had a car seat in a float tube and would tow my son around when he was 18 months old while I fished from my float tube.
If they grow up doing it then it's just normal.
Start 'em early. You won't regret it.
<=>

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
My grandson started outfishing his dad when he was 2 years old. First fish was a small Largemouth bass on a buzz bait. He told his dad: Daddy I got a fish, my son didn’t beleave it until my grandson held it up. My son could only say Da##.
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
From personal experience, don't over do it, if there's a possibility that could happen. An absence makes the heart grow fonder sort of thing.

My sons were exposed to me fishing from infanthood. Both caught fish on their own before age 2. And for a good number of years after, were happy to go fishing. But that enthusiasm has waned over time.

While some kids would give up an appendage to have the opportunities they did, to them it's no big deal, not when the fishing hole is 5 minutes away by bicycle. They'd for the most part just like to goof around near the water, occasionally wetting a line.

That said, some of my most treasured memories are of my boys fishing. Probably a quarter of the pictures I have of the two of them involve some sort of fish.

Best wishes on the upcoming arrival of your progeny.

Scott

SaltyTherapy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
My dad used to take me striper/sturgeon bait fishing at freeport. Hated it. Used to go bass fishing at Camanche as a kid. Hated it. Went to Hawaii every summer to do some ulua fishing off the rocks with a cold beer and poke, is where I fell in love. Then I came back and started whacking 30-40 schoolie striper half-days with pile worms out by Antioch with friends. I always hated when people tried to get me into fishing, eventually for me it took a few good times with friends to get into it. It wasn't necessarily the action, just enjoying the outdoors. Now I've got the itch. But everyone has their own preferred style, and my advice is don't try to force them into one style.
Blue Revolution 13 2014
Papaya Compass 2020
Papaya Revolution 13 2022

Many fishermen spend their lives chasing fish, only to realize that it was themselves that they were chasing.

The "Salty" in my handle refers to my attitude, not the waters I fish

anything