Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 03:13:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 20, 2024, 10:59:06 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 09:28:04 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 09:14:25 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 08:09:22 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 06:29:06 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 05:46:39 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 05:19:02 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 04:11:20 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 09:05:07 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:38:11 PM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:21:04 AM]

by Clb
[May 19, 2024, 09:23:49 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 07:12:15 AM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:33:15 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:29:46 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 04:56:39 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 12:06:29 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:37:45 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 11:20:54 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Crabbing Advice  (Read 2687 times)

Fuzzywuzzy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2022
I'm starting to think about Dungeness season, assuming that isn't cancelled, too. Have any of you used the lie-flat hoop nets, and would you recommend them? They sure seem lighter and easier to manage than the promar ambush (volcano-shaped) traps.

If you recommend the lie-flat hoop nets, what size should I buy?

Thanks.

Corey

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
I've used a mix of ambush and the flat rings. Using the rings allows me to more comfortably carry more sets. I typically go out with 3 ambush and 4 rings. I couldn't carry 7 sets if I only used Ambush.

I've had just as much luck with the flat rings. The bottom of them is very deep as they ascend and the crabs don't generally get out.

Two things you have to be careful of, however.

1. When they hit bottom, lift them up a foot or so and gently let them back down. They can get a bit more off centered than the ambush traps and you want your bait in the middle of the ring.

2. Once you start lifting, don't stop. Pull them fast and steady or crabs can get out a bit easier than the Ambush, especially if the rope slips and the trap drops a bit. This applies to the Ambush as well, though not as much due to the somewhat narrower top surface.

Fuzzywuzzy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I've used a mix of ambush and the flat rings. Using the rings allows me to more comfortably carry more sets. I typically go out with 3 ambush and 4 rings. I couldn't carry 7 sets if I only used Ambush.

I've had just as much luck with the flat rings. The bottom of them is very deep as they ascend and the crabs don't generally get out.

Two things you have to be careful of, however.

1. When they hit bottom, lift them up a foot or so and gently let them back down. They can get a bit more off centered than the ambush traps and you want your bait in the middle of the ring.

2. Once you start lifting, don't stop. Pull them fast and steady or crabs can get out a bit easier than the Ambush, especially if the rope slips and the trap drops a bit. This applies to the Ambush as well, though not as much due to the somewhat narrower top surface.

Super, thanks. 24" rings sound about right? For reference, the smallest ambush traps have a 32" bottom ring.

Corey

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Mine are bigger. the flat rings I use are 36". They also make a 32" which is about right (same size as most of us use in the Ambush rings).  24" sounds too small.

https://promarahi.com/collections/crabbing-gear/products/promar-jumbo-deluxe-hoop-nets

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Rings work good, just end up pulling them a bit faster then hoops, since crab seem to gather in the hoops, but can walk right out of a ring.  It helps to use something to protect your bait, so they stay longer trying to get at it.  Super simple and easy.  i'm looking at some much smaller rings to test out this season.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
The 32 inch rings work well. I just follow Corey and he shows me where the crabs are  :smt003

I would buy your gear sooner than later. The price seems to always get jacked up as the season starts.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Rings or "hoops" as some call them are the best way to crab, in my opinion.  32" is the standard, and I believe they cannot be over 36".  24" does sound too small.

I take 6 to 9 out with me, and they lay flat nicely, with the buoys taking up more space than anything.

Pots, traps and ambush contraptions don't interest me.  I'm never just out to collect meat, and that's how those devices make me feel.  I enjoy a sporting time where I must perform in order to capture the crabs, as opposed to just waiting for crabs to become trapped so I can collect them.

Also, when you put rings out around traps, you'll get the crabs faster, because your bait is exposed. 

Quote from: Alain
It helps to use something to protect your bait, so they stay longer trying to get at it.

This is true, and it's good advice, but you can look at it in a different way:  put nice fresh chicken or a fresh fish carcass on there right out in the open, and you'll have crabs on there faster than any other devices in the area.

I start pulling my rings as soon as they're all deployed, and I've limited on jumbos in less than 30 minutes when the crabbing's good.

Enjoy!
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I'll add my preference for net rings to the pile. My buddy and I kept count last time, and rings outperformed ambush traps for both of us, they are easier to manage on the kayak and you can carry more, and they're easier to pull.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Mine are bigger. the flat rings I use are 36". They also make a 32" which is about right (same size as most of us use in the Ambush rings).  24" sounds too small.

https://promarahi.com/collections/crabbing-gear/products/promar-jumbo-deluxe-hoop-nets

I use the rings linked here. 32" for me is easily managed on a kayak. 

Last season, I alternated between chicken pieces and fish carcasses. Results seemed about the same to me, not sure if fish species matters. I used halibut and striper, since that's what I fished for immediately before crab season.

If you buy whole roaster chickens (cheapest chicken out there) and cut in half lengthwise, they fit nicely in the bait pocket of the Promar rings. I usually ziptie it too, just to prevent it from sliding out on me or something stealing it completely.

Rings are super easy to use, and also the easiest to get your crabs out of.

- Kevin

Fuzzywuzzy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks all for the advice, all. I think I'm going to give a couple sets of the rings a try this season. One further question, if I may - do I need to add weights and how much? I probably have some 12 ouncers somewhere...

Corey

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I ziptie a 2# ball in the bottom center of my pots. They don't move when deployed off the coast a bit. Different story in Tomales bay where you'd need more.

Fuzzywuzzy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I ziptie a 2# ball in the bottom center of my pots. They don't move when deployed off the coast a bit. Different story in Tomales bay where you'd need more.

Yowza, that is a lot of weight over multiple pots but it makes sense. Appreciate the reply.

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015

Yowza, that is a lot of weight over multiple pots but it makes sense. Appreciate the reply.

I have been using 4# dive weights because that was what I had lying around, and my pots don't walk, but I might have to see if I can get away with 2# based on Corey's experience.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I fish for crab in less than 70 fow, and the standard size promar ambush hoops I have need no extra weight when deployed to stay in place.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Fuzzywuzzy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I fish for crab in less than 70 fow, and the standard size promar ambush hoops I have need no extra weight when deployed to stay in place.

Thanks Al, that sounds right to me. Corey mentioned he also carries the lighter hoop nets or rings and those look like they could walk more easily.

anything