Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 03:19:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 10, 2024, 10:34:49 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 09:53:28 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 09:50:31 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 08:04:41 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 07:53:03 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 06:11:15 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 04:13:44 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 03:35:39 PM]

by capo
[May 10, 2024, 12:49:47 PM]

[May 09, 2024, 01:04:03 PM]

[May 09, 2024, 10:15:40 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:12:28 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 07:35:53 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 06:46:52 AM]

[May 08, 2024, 04:58:49 PM]

[May 08, 2024, 12:29:15 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Need recommendation- Crabbing and Rock fishing spot north of Mendocino?  (Read 1003 times)

bigbulllee

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
I promised my son to go crabbing before the season closes, but doesn't seem I can make it by Friday 6/30. So instead I plan to go north of Mendocino during July 4th holiday for extended crabbing season. I have never ventured to north of Bodega and would like to know where is good spot(s) south of Eureka for crabbing and rock fishing?
I will bring a light paddle kayak only to drop some nets around shore and my son will fish from shore with crab snares and rock fishing rig (could be in separate days and locations for sand and rock).

Your local knowledge is greatly appreciated!
Chris

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Go to Humboldt Bay, Trinidad, or Crescent City.

There is no spot south of Eureka that will be open for rockfish and crab on the 4th of July that would be appropriate for your purposes. 
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

bigbulllee

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

There is no spot south of Eureka that will be open for rockfish and crab on the 4th of July that would be appropriate for your purposes.

From the CPFW map below it seems Rock Fish can be taken from all depth in Humboldt County? (north of Shelter Cove) But I don't know where are sands for crab or rocks for fish, more detail will be helpful. thanks.
https://wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Ocean/Regulations/Fishing-Map/Northern

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

From the CPFW map below it seems Rock Fish can be taken from all depth in Humboldt County? (north of Shelter Cove) But I don't know where are sands for crab or rocks for fish, more detail will be helpful. thanks.
https://wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Ocean/Regulations/Fishing-Map/Northern

Trinidad is probably your best option then.  Crabing is right out front of prisoner rock and rockfish are near rocks, theres a protected launch and its all really close.

If you need to stay on shore, CC is probably better, you can crab off B street pier and fish rockfish at the groin or on the jetties. 

The line for the northern management zone is the 40 10 line which is in the middle of nowhere and impossible to get to without really really trying.  Need a power boat or a overnight hike or skillz like Mr. X.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

bigbulllee

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Crash, 
Our hotel is at Eureka, I will try to convince my wife to drive a little further to Trinidad or Crescent City. Look forward to visit these places.
Thanks for the info!
Chris

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Crash, 
Our hotel is at Eureka, I will try to convince my wife to drive a little further to Trinidad or Crescent City. Look forward to visit these places.
Thanks for the info!
Chris

Crabbing from shore in Eureka is an exercise in avoiding tweekers.  You can catch rockfish in the bay at the jetties and there are crab in the bay but the crabbing in the bay is poor for the most part except in winter.  Other than the jetties there is no rocky structure for 20 miles in either direction.  The main fishery in the bay right now is california halibut.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

bigbulllee

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Good info, thanks again. :smt007

anything