Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:45:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:56:41 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Huh? Where's the water?  (Read 1452 times)

fishyplumber

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2021
Hello. I am Mike. I just realized that fishing in the ocean is very, very nice, with many big fishes that smile and bite. I also learned recently that fishing can be more fun when you grow beyond the cheapest combo that Wally World sells. I define myself in many ways: NURSE, plumber, electrician, cook, baker, wood and metal worker....

I want to own a kayak someday. I was thinking about a Hobie Revo. The only obstacle to that purchase is that i am beginning a whole house remodel and I need to focus on that instead of having fun. So for now, it will be boring Mike, just work at work and work on house.

Another thing about me is that I vomit a lot when the swells grow. I went on a charter out of HMB, out approx 12 miles to a reef, vomited 25+. The swells were 8-10 foot, and was getting thrown all about the boat. All I was thinking was 1. Am I going to die out here and 2. Maybe I should only fish from shore from now on.

Last month I fished Capitola on a rental boat and caught my first ling. I didn't vomit once. Maybe the scop patch, meclizine night before and morning and zofran on the wharf worked.

See you out there when the last nail is driven and coat of paint applied.

My aspiration is to start building rods after I construct my workshop(part of the remodel). Any guidance would be much appreciated.

fishyplumber

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Another thing about me: I was born and raised in the Bay Area, lived all over the US, Houston, Southern Mississippi, Seattle area, Reno, Grass Valley. I live in Richmond now.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Howdy Mike!  :smt006  Your name is pretty fishy  :smt044  Welcome to NCKA!  Sea sickness is something that I had an issue with at first, and like you I had "chummed" the water on most boat rides.  The good news is the more you go the less of a problem it becomes.  I used to take dramamine which worked, but would tend to try and kill me on the way home when the rush of fishing wore off.  Ginger candy also worked well for me.  But eventually, you can overcome it and not need to worry.  Often on a boat my problem would happen when I went inside and looked out a window.  Good news, no windows on a kayak!  :smt003  You can also rent kayaks at the Wharf in SC, or in Moss landing, Monterey, Half Moon Bay, etc. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

fishyplumber

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thank you I will try that...rent the kayak, not take Dramamine. Ok, maybe I will try the Dramamine, but I heard about Kwells which is a scopolamine pill from Australia that can be purchased from FleaBay that works too. I am going on another charter next month, wish me luck on that one.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I like Mike he’s 😎 .
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I should also say there are more than generous people on this site that might be willing to take you out as well.  Make a post in Hookups and see what happens! 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Thank you I will try that...rent the kayak, not take Dramamine. Ok, maybe I will try the Dramamine, but I heard about Kwells which is a scopolamine pill from Australia that can be purchased from FleaBay that works too. I am going on another charter next month, wish me luck on that one.

I don't deal with seasickness much, but the Scopalamine patches were the goto for the seasick crowd when I was aboard ship.  I don't think Scopalamine causes the same drowsiness as Dramamine, either, but could very well be wrong on that one.  Since you already learned Scopalamine works well, I'd stick with that.  Just remember the frequent triggers of seasickness and minimize them aboard the kayak: looking down tying knots or staring at electronics, staring at the waves right next to you, etc.  Any time I'm in sporty seas and start to feel the quease coming on... I stare at the horizon and chew a ginger candy and things get better immediately.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

fishyplumber

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thank you. As soon as I am completely outfitted with yak and safety gear, I will do that.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Welcome, Boring (for now) Mike.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I might be unloading a kayak... keep an eye out.
2014 Hobie Revo 13

Pernell

• I Am PERN
  • Salmon
  • PERN "DIRTY HOOKER"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
So do you turn green when you become "not so boring" Mike? Lol welcome aboard brother!
USN EAWS
USS KITTY HAWK (CV63)
VP-40 "Laging Handa"
HC-5 (Formerly HSC-25)
-Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120
-Ocean Kayak Trident 13 (Sold)
-Hobie Revo 13 (Sold)
-'21Hobie Outback
-'23 Hobie PA-12

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
-Jason

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
My aspiration is to start building rods after I construct my workshop(part of the remodel). Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Several of us build rods, you can post up here when you're ready to get started........or just shoot me a message if you have any specific questions.  Of course, before I answer any questions I will demand that you take all ugly sticks you own and ceremoniously beat them with a sledgehammer until they're dust  :smt003 

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome to NCKA Mike  :smt006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Several of us build rods, you can post up here when you're ready to get started........or just shoot me a message if you have any specific questions.  Of course, before I answer any questions I will demand that you take all ugly sticks you own and ceremoniously beat them with a sledgehammer until they're dust  :smt003
I 2nd that
2014 Hobie Revo 13

anything