Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:38:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bo report 9-19 (correct date now)  (Read 1425 times)

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
I hadn't been out to Dux yet this year so Sunday was the day. The reports of absolutely no sand at the launch and landing are true. I've surfed there for 20 years and have never seen the beach scrubbed so clean. The tide was still going out when I got there and was low enough that it would have been launchable from Brighton, but there was no way the landing would be doable on the return with a 12:30 high tide. I walked down what's left of the beach and around the corner to Wharf road to check conditions.

A lagoon launch was the only possibility so I walked back through town to bring the car around. Started loading up the yak just as sunlight started to show on the Marin headlands - so quiet and peaceful. Only one person came by for an early morning dog walk. The lagoon was still dropping as I wheeled down to the groin. I could have rode the outflow, but I didn't know how the bars were set up and I didn't want that tidal push from behind when trying to time the waves. Pushed out from just inside the groin and followed the current down the beach and out. Looked like some fun, clean longboard waves for the early morning surf crew.

Headed the pinnacles and then around the south end of the reef. There was a steady W/NW breeze already and the ocean had an annoying cross chop to it. Picked up a decent brown RF by the pinnacles and had the downrigger pop a couple times on the other side of the reef but neither stuck. Maybe more RF? Maybe a salmon? Never got a good feel.

Lots of private and party boats out around the buoy, stick boats working the middle grounds and NW of the buoy. I could see a small fleet off the Towers or Double Point as it was super clear out thanks to the rain. Radio was quiet though. Circled north of the buoy and west of the reef a few times on decent bait for nada. Only action I saw was a small one netted.

Tired of fighting the wind and southbound current I decide to work the 70' water from the buoy towards Stinson/Rocky Point and enjoy a tailwind. About halfway the W/NW winds are building so I start angling north towards Stinson/Seadrift and finally straight north towards the lagoon. Ends up being a two hour, 1.5 mph slog with choppy, angling seas -- in other words a pretty solid workout.

Tide is high and the surf is up when I get back. I watch waves slam and zip left to right along the seawall at Brighton. Anyone who planned to land there would be in serious trouble. Surfers were getting in and out at Wharf Road to avoid that mayhem at Brighton. Lots of different breaks across the mouth of the lagoon that didn't look fun, but the beach at Seadrift was not bad. Landed there, threw my wheels under the kayak and wheeled down the beach to get inside the mouth of the lagoon and away from any breakers. Easy paddle across to the end of wharf road and the car.

I'm probably writing Bolinas off the list of launch sites until the sand repopulates...or a hot bite develops off of Dux.

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 03:45:04 PM by chopper »

IdleFishing

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Thanks for the report Brad. I like the play by play thought process for landing and launching at Bo. Great tips from a pro!

-Yao
Yao

Mango Hobie Adventure Island
Red Hobie Revolution 13
Yellow Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Loebs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
No injuries and no lost equipment sounds like a good day at Bolinas! I am not launching there anymore either.

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Thanks for the report. Good effort. Classic Bolinas 2021 salmon fishing
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Solid effort Brad.  Thats what we do.  You found a way... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Nice effort. The sand situation at Brighton is not unlike the situation at Linda Mar by the boat docks. All the sand was pulled away by the surf, leaving a field of exposed cobblestones and no way to wheel a kayak down to the boat docks. This year has been particularly sloppy at LM, and I'm guessing it's just wave erosion. Hopefully next year we'll have our favorite launches back.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Jewli0n

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
The last couple of times I've gone I've done the same launch/land strategy and it's worked ok--seems to be the only reasonable option! Nice go, I'm giving it another shot this weekend.
@julianmariano

FriedKalamari

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Nice effort. The sand situation at Brighton is not unlike the situation at Linda Mar by the boat docks. All the sand was pulled away by the surf, leaving a field of exposed cobblestones and no way to wheel a kayak down to the boat docks. This year has been particularly sloppy at LM, and I'm guessing it's just wave erosion. Hopefully next year we'll have our favorite launches back.

I'm having a hard time picturing this at Bo.  Very strange.