Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:31:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:01:43 AM]

[Today at 07:37:53 AM]

[Today at 06:39:27 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: PWC Jetski angling  (Read 5506 times)

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Im interested to learn more about fishing from a PWC.  Seems like Seadoo hav the Angler series w entry model fully kitted out for anything that i might try in a yak.

Downsides is its a regulated vessel that needs a tow, cant portage, need boat launch.
Bennies r the massive range extension and survivability from shark attack

U toob vids show plenty of fun action

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

I am watching this as well lol
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Several of the NWKA folks have added a jet ski to their fleet.  I’m tempted.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Not sure if Kiel owns s fishing jet ski set up or borrowed one but believe he has fished on one before. Hopefully he will chime in.
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Not sure if Kiel owns s fishing jet ski set up or borrowed one but believe he has fished on one before. Hopefully he will chime in.

I still have my jet ski.

-Kiel
1st Place ARW Handline Tournament 2024
ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

Tpowell707

• Salmon
  • View Profile Deadliest Kast Fishing
  • Date Registered: May 2021
The Seadoo Angler looks pretty sweet, BUT I had to help a guy out in Bodega Bay he had sucked up sea grass and was getting rolled in the surf. Helped cleared the intake and sent him back on his way. Would be huge concern to suck up grass on open water and have to dive under to free the debris!
Deadliest Kast Fishing Deckhand

Vibe Shearwater 125- Team Blue

2nd Place-2022 Albion Open

"One doesn’t discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." André Gide.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
As I have said so often:

Get a Skiff!

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
The Seadoo Angler looks pretty sweet, BUT I had to help a guy out in Bodega Bay he had sucked up sea grass and was getting rolled in the surf. Helped cleared the intake and sent him back on his way. Would be huge concern to suck up grass on open water and have to dive under to free the debris!

OMG, that sux.  considering we fish in weedy and kelpy areas w potentially lots of debris, that'd be much worse than busting a hobie mirage fin  :smt044

I still have my jet ski.

-Kiel

If you have much mileage on it, how about a review pros/cons of using it as a fishing platform? :smt006

As I have said so often:

Get a Skiff!

On a PWC the neighbors won't be begging you to take em fishing  :smt044

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
This thread is kind of good timing.  I just put down a deposit on a 2022 Sea Doo Fish Pro.   Sadly, I have to wait until March to pick it up.   So, I’m just spending the next 7 months reading up as much as I can and dreaming about all the extended range. 

Regarding sucking up grass, Sea Doo has the iDf system that allows you to spin the impeller backward and spit out most of the stuff you sucked into your intake. 

Right now, I’m dreaming of slaying salmon next year without being limited to just paddling out to the area around the green buoy at HMB.   

The ultimate dream is to go down to SoCal, launch from Long Beach, and head out to Catalina with my rods and free diving gear. 
"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!" - Tom Magliozzi

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Im interested to learn more about fishing from a PWC.  Seems like Seadoo hav the Angler series w entry model fully kitted out for anything that i might try in a yak.

Downsides is its a regulated vessel that needs a tow, cant portage, need boat launch.

Another downside that I just found out about today is that there are a bunch of PWC restrictions in the SF Bay from the late 90’s when a lot of jet skis were two strokes.   I’m not 100% sure, but it appears that a lot of the water in Marin County forbids jet skis, and you’re not allowed to ride within 1,200 yards from shore around San Francisco, Alcatraz, and Angel Island.   It’s an old law, so I’m not sure about the enforcement these days.  And, I’m not sure if they treat chill jet ski fishermen drifting for halibut or stripers the same as they would normal jet ski guys who are just running their motors full throttle and annoying everyone. 

"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!" - Tom Magliozzi

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017

Another downside that I just found out about today is that there are a bunch of PWC restrictions in the SF Bay from the late 90’s when a lot of jet skis were two strokes.   I’m not 100% sure, but it appears that a lot of the water in Marin County forbids jet skis, and you’re not allowed to ride within 1,200 yards from shore around San Francisco, Alcatraz, and Angel Island.   It’s an old law, so I’m not sure about the enforcement these days.  And, I’m not sure if they treat chill jet ski fishermen drifting for halibut or stripers the same as they would normal jet ski guys who are just running their motors full throttle and annoying everyone.

I have watched quite a few videos about the Seadoo, and others. They look like a lot of fun. Here is the full list of California locations that have restrictions in place, click on the PDF:

https://dbw.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=29175

Might be worth looking at the specifics of each of the laws to see if they are just banning 2-strokes.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 06:19:24 AM by Mark L »
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015

Similar issues out of HMB and Monterey Bay, too:

That applies to the entire Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary which runs from 7 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge all the way down to Cambria and out to 30 NM off shore. 

There's a decent FAQ here: https://montereybay.noaa.gov/resourcepro/resmanissues/mpwc/faq.html#mpwc_faq06
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I guess a big advantage of a PWC is that if you get rolled by a breaker you can just get back on. All the closures make it a nonstarter for me though. If you had $10k - $20k to spend on a vessel that has to be launched from a ramp, it seems like a no-frills center console with positive buoyancy and big scuppers would be a better fishing platform.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile

That applies to the entire Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary which runs from 7 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge all the way down to Cambria and out to 30 NM off shore. 

There's a decent FAQ here: https://montereybay.noaa.gov/resourcepro/resmanissues/mpwc/faq.html#mpwc_faq06

OK.  That is such the bummer.  I need to do some more research.   That totally kills it if I’m not allowed to go outside the operating zones.   

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015

OK.  That is such the bummer.  I need to do some more research.   That totally kills it if I’m not allowed to go outside the operating zones.

I wanted to keep my last post to pure facts... but I'll opine here.  I have never even heard of this being enforced outside another boater reporting one of the more splashy/speedy type of PWC operators.  In my years as LEO on the water, I never once heard of targeted operations towards PWC use.  The purpose of the PWC ban is to protect habitat in the sanctuary.  I seriously doubt you'll have a problem with enforcement.  That said, it only takes one officer who has a hair on their ass for PWC fisherpeople to ruin your year.  The first fine is reduced, but then they start to ramp up for "repeat offenders."  Just wanted to clear up the spirit versus letter parts from my experiences so it didn't seem alarmist.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

anything