Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:00:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:57:41 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Conventional reel recommendation?  (Read 2605 times)

Gollywomper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Nice fish. I caught a 26” ling on a spinning outfit first day out on the salt. Was an absolute blast. I’m hooked now. 4hr drive to get over but I can’t wait to go. Lol. My wife loves the ocean and beach exploring so I done have to ask twice.

I’m not sure if it was the penn squall 20, or the Tiger combo that I didn’t like. I will try my Tiger again with the smaller reel and see how it feels.
The Abu 6601 has 15lbs of drag which should be more than enough. Can’t wait to get back over again!!!!
Old Town Bigwater 132
Old Town Bigwater 132 PDL

soleman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
avet sxj g2. one of the greatest reels I have owned.

small and has enough line cap for anything around here. enough drag and you can thumb the spool if you need. my buddy stopped and turned a seal he hooked rockfishing with his.

very easy to take apart and put back together, it is a simple reel. has excellent maintenance videos on yt. On surf landings I have turned it into a coffee grinder on multiple occasions and after a breakdown and clean it is smooth again.

+1 for the sxj. Paired with a Shimano Trevala has been my go to for rockfish/ling fishing for a number of years now. The narrow spool is easy to thumb, no need for a level wind. Had a Cardiff 301, great real but sold it, and still have a Daiwa Lexa 300 LH which I love but prefer the sxj for RF. If you don't service your own reels, ( I suck at it, wind up breaking more than I fix) I send mine back to Avet every couple of years, for $30+ cleaned, greased and new washers good to go. Still have an old Abu 5501, great reel too, caught my biggest halibut ever on that thing. Good luck and tight lines!

Loebs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
avet sxj g2. one of the greatest reels I have owned.

small and has enough line cap for anything around here. enough drag and you can thumb the spool if you need. my buddy stopped and turned a seal he hooked rockfishing with his.

very easy to take apart and put back together, it is a simple reel. has excellent maintenance videos on yt. On surf landings I have turned it into a coffee grinder on multiple occasions and after a breakdown and clean it is smooth again.

+1 for the sxj. Paired with a Shimano Trevala has been my go to for rockfish/ling fishing for a number of years now. The narrow spool is easy to thumb, no need for a level wind. Had a Cardiff 301, great real but sold it, and still have a Daiwa Lexa 300 LH which I love but prefer the sxj for RF. If you don't service your own reels, ( I suck at it, wind up breaking more than I fix) I send mine back to Avet every couple of years, for $30+ cleaned, greased and new washers good to go. Still have an old Abu 5501, great reel too, caught my biggest halibut ever on that thing. Good luck and tight lines!

I love the SXJ too. I have a lexa and Calcutta and prefer the avet. Just sent mine into avet after it ate some sand on a landing.

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I’m using Lexa for everything, but I heard good things on Avet and didn’t buy one yet because like you - I like the level wind. I think most good reels would be .. well, good.
Two tips :
- cover your reel with a neoprene reel cover (Shimano has excellent ones for less than $10 on Amazon). It will save you hours on cleaning
- get a reel that you can maintain, and make sure you put oil on the right parts, grease on the rights parts, nothing where none of them should be, and the quantities are right.
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
I'm kicking myself for not signing up for AOTY, as Tedski pointed out on the water, that cab would be sitting on top of the pile. Lesson learnt.

It's too late for that fish... but it ain't too late for the next one.  Did ya sign up yet?
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

SandyToes

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I've been pretty happy with the piscifun chaos xs.  Got it as a cheap backup reel, and it moved up to one of my main reels when my abu reel had the tension knob fall off in the water (whoops)...  It's holding strong after a year of moderate use, and it's only like $55 list, plus piscifun usually has some discount codes going.  And they are not backordered to my knowledge. 

I read somewhere that piscifuns are manufactured in the same Chinese factory that makes abus anyway...

I would second the low pro 300 size baitcaster rec with a high gear ration and a power handle though, I love that setup especially for jigging.  The big thumb bar makes it easy to drop, reel up, drop, reel up repeatedly, and the fast retrieve makes it nice for fishing deep.

Gollywomper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
The lower end Abu are made in China. The better stuff is made in Sweden. The c4 6601 is a Sweden made reel. Going to give it a go. May try one of the Avet style reels at some point if I can find any without the large power handle knob. Ya just about any reels will do the job but the salt is tuff on stuff and want something that is serviceable.
Old Town Bigwater 132
Old Town Bigwater 132 PDL

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Final call for Shimano Tranx 300...sorry, low profile... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
I've been running a TLD10 for the past couple years and like it. I wish it had a higher gear ratio, but that's about my only complaint. I also have a couple of the TLD15's but they're a little big and heavy. I mainly use those for sturgeon. I think the level-wind version of these is called the Charter Special, but I've never felt the need to hunt one of those down just for the level wind.

Cheers,
Brad

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I've been pretty happy with the piscifun chaos xs.  Got it as a cheap backup reel, and it moved up to one of my main reels when my abu reel had the tension knob fall off in the water (whoops)...  It's holding strong after a year of moderate use, and it's only like $55 list, plus piscifun usually has some discount codes going.  And they are not backordered to my knowledge. 

I read somewhere that piscifuns are manufactured in the same Chinese factory that makes abus anyway...

I would second the low pro 300 size baitcaster rec with a high gear ration and a power handle though, I love that setup especially for jigging.  The big thumb bar makes it easy to drop, reel up, drop, reel up repeatedly, and the fast retrieve makes it nice for fishing deep.

+1 for Piscifun reels. I purchased a Piscifun Alijoz Size 300 Low Profile Baitcasting Reel a few months ago and I love it. Seems to be solidly made and at $84 (99 less a 15 discount), I won't feel too bad if it finds it's way to Davey Jones Locker.