Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Conventional reel recommendation?  (Read 2595 times)

Gollywomper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
After fishing with my Penn Squall 20 for a few hours I decided it is too big for my kayak needs. So looking for a reel to pair with my Tiger 7’ rod for jigging  and live baiting rockfish.
What do you all recommend?
Would like to stay with a conventional style level wind and not a low pro. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 06:46:08 PM by Gollywomper »
Old Town Bigwater 132
Old Town Bigwater 132 PDL

jremi

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
avet sxj g2. one of the greatest reels I have owned.

small and has enough line cap for anything around here. enough drag and you can thumb the spool if you need. my buddy stopped and turned a seal he hooked rockfishing with his.

very easy to take apart and put back together, it is a simple reel. has excellent maintenance videos on yt. On surf landings I have turned it into a coffee grinder on multiple occasions and after a breakdown and clean it is smooth again.
olive revo13 + red sweatshirt

Gollywomper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Nice reels for sure. Wanting to stay with a level wind.
Mostly rock fish occasionally halibut. Really liking the Shimano Cardiff 301. Will 10 lbs of drag be enough? Not looking to spend over $200.
Old Town Bigwater 132

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Go for a baitcaster 300 series... penn squall baitcasters are nice.  Or daiwa lexa...

2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Gollywomper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I really want to stay with a conventional round reel. The Lexa 300 or nice but I like the round. Maybe an Abu c4 6600. If I can find any info on salt use and rebuild-ability.
Old Town Bigwater 132

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
For jigging, I prefer baitcaster reels with a counterbalanced power handle. They're very ergonomic: to drop your lure, you hit the spool release with the thumb of your rod hand, and to raise your lure, you crank with your other hand. Baitcasters make it easy to keep your lure near to or in contact with the bottom. When jigging deep and/or for potentially big fish, get a 300 or 400 size reel with a fast retrieve rate. I prefer power handles because I find the typical two-paddle baitcaster reel handle inadequate for winching up big fish. When jigging deep another advantage of a baitcaster reel is that you can drop your lure fast because the spool isn't driving a level wind mechanism or a line counter.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 08:53:32 PM by pmmpete »

Chet

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
I really want to stay with a conventional round reel. The Lexa 300 or nice but I like the round. Maybe an Abu c4 6600. If I can find any info on salt use and rebuild-ability.
I have the C4 6601(left hand). 4 years going strong. One tough reel.
It got soaked every trip. All I need to do is rinse with freshwater after each trip, and open it up to lube once a year.
For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_2 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=87570.0

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_1 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84409.msg959037#msg959037

=======================================

2016 Dune Hobie AI
2011 Red Hobie AI
Trident 15
Tarpon 140
Prowler 13

My adventure
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75214.0

Gollywomper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Looking like this will be what I pair up with my Tiger rod. Hesitant to spend a lot on a fishing combo for the kayak just yet. Now I need to just find one. They are out of stock every where.
Old Town Bigwater 132

Jewli0n

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Shimano Triton--bulletproof, $90, and not too heavy. Conventional with levelwind, I think there is a star drag or lever drag option but I love the star drag.

https://www.tackledirect.com/trn100g.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 09:44:47 AM by Jewli0n »
@julianmariano

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I bought 3 Shimano TLD 15 reels about 12 years ago and they are still going strong. I replaced the drag washers with carbon fiber (or whatever it was that Alan Tani recommended). I take them apart once every year or so for a little cleaning. Easy to work on, and nice to be able to do maintenance on your own gear, too.

Great reels.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Nice reels for sure. Wanting to stay with a level wind.
Mostly rock fish occasionally halibut. Really liking the Shimano Cardiff 301. Will 10 lbs of drag be enough? Not looking to spend over $200.
The Cardiff 301 has been one of my favorites for all around ocean fishing.  It holds a lot of line, has a clicker, left handed (must for me) and isn't that expensive.  I've used them for several years, and well have three of them now, but two are looking a bit worse for wear  :smt044

On a whim I bought a Okuma Cold Water CW-354DLX https://okumafishingusa.com/products/cold-water-low-profile-line-counter and am really enjoying it.  Nice power handle, has a line counter, has clicker, left handed, it's really quit a nice reel.  Not sure how long it will last, but it's really easy to fish with, and the line counter is a nice option to have.  I might buy another one  :smt003
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Triton TLD are nice reels, hold up to abuse easy to rebuild. And won’t drop a tear if it’s goes into the drink.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 12:31:35 PM by SlackedTide »
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Gollywomper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I ended up ordering an Abu C4 6601. I have used cheaper Abus many times salmon fishing the Sacramento River. Have hauled in plenty of 15+ pound salmon in the river current. So I am thinking the 6600 should easily be up to the task. Hoping to find a Trevela to pair it with soon.
The Ugly Stik Tiger with the Penn 20 is just way too bulky for my style. After just a few minutes I realized that setup isn’t for me. Thanks for the replies. I hope this COVID shit is over soon. Getting really tired of everything being back ordered.
Old Town Bigwater 132

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
I scored a beautiful like new left hand Penn 114H Special 6/0 Senator with power handle at Denios Market a month ago for $45. Paired it with my Tiger rod and I love it. Hammered the rockies and Lings at the Farralons a few weeks ago. Much better reel than the Penn 320GTi that I was using.
Kevin
I fish, therefore I Cuss and Lie!

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
Good luck with your new reel! I bet you hook a beast on the first drop.
       Just to throw it out for the other tiger holders while the topic is up, I put a Penn Squall 300LP on my ML tiger a few weeks ago and it is a blast catching anything. Light in the hand and 25 lbs of drag for $150. Held up great in a fight with a 22.75" Queen Cabby last weekend.  Plus, tossing swimbaits is lots of fun.
     I'm kicking myself for not signing up for AOTY, as Tedski pointed out on the water, that cab would be sitting on top of the pile. Lesson learnt.
Slate Hobie Compass

2023 MBK 1st place