Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:33:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fish vacuum sealer suggestions  (Read 3155 times)

Ecap

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2021
Haven't seen a discussion on this, What is the best meat vacuum sealer, or which ones do you guys use. Been looking around and am not sure if it is worth it to go and buy an expensive one or just to get a cheaper one. What's your guys thoughts?

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Im using the foodsaver from Costco for years now. No complaint except you need to replace the rubber when it's not vacuuming. I buy my bags from Amazon.
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I'll say the first one I had which was all manual pales in comparison to the automatic one I have now from Costco.  It doesn't matter until you have a bunch of fish, like 3 WSB, to package up  :smt044  But then it helps a LOT.  Also like the pre-cut bags for that situation.  +1 on Costco
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

NuggyT

• Salmon
  • 2016 Hobie Revo 11’
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
+1 Costco, always assured you get your money worth on any purchase there.
Tight lines n’ good vibes

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I bought a cheap $50 Ziploc Vacuum Sealer with the thought that if I use it a lot, I'd kill it and then buy an expensive one.  3 years later, 3 water fowl seasons, a lot of fish and now buying meat in bulk, I've not been able to break this thing.  I purchase rolls of bags from Amazon. 

The downside is that it is a lot of plastic waste.  The up side is frozen meat lasts.  I'm currently defrosting a goose breast from 10 months ago for tomorrow's dinner.

Sand

One thing about waste... I get a roll of bag material from Amazon, it weighs 3-4 lbs?  All that after use is in a landfill.  And it will be around for thousands of years.  I got some butcher paper to try and see how it works. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 05:17:07 AM by sandwg »
TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...
Stealth Fusion / Hobie Revo 13 / NuCanoe Flint  (yeah my wife is a bit peeved)

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Paging pmmpete...
My first vacuum sealer is a Foodsaver, which is a suction type of vacuum sealer.  It does a decent job of sealing fish, meat, and produce, and it's still working fine after many years, although like Darius I had to replace the gaskets which press on the vacuum bag.  After several years and a lot of use, the heat from the element which seals the bag deteriorated the gaskets.  Replacing the gaskets is easy, if you can find the right gaskets.  I buy my bags for this sealer in rolls, which is more efficient than buying pre-cut bags, because you can cut off exactly as much of the roll as you need to vacuum seal an item,whether it be big or small.  There's no waste. The Foodsaver sealer is quite compact, so I can bring is with me on road trips.

My second vacuum sealer is a biggish Cabelas brand sealer, which I got for our cabin.  It's also a suction type of vacuum sealer.  While bigger than my Foodsaver sealer, it doesn't do any better of a job of getting air out of the vacuum bags. I also use rolls of bag material in the Cabelas sealer.

Because I do a lot of vacuum sealing, I bought a Vacmaster chamber style vacuum sealer.  Chamber style sealers tend to be big, heavy, and expensive, but they do an outstanding job of getting the air out of vacuum bags, a lot better than any suction style vacuum sealer which I've seen.  I love my Vacmaster.  Because it's real heavy, I store it on a wheeled cart, with all of my vacuum sealing supplies on the shelves below the sealer, so I can wheel it into our kitchen when I need to do some sealing.  See the first picture below.  The vacuum sealer is so heavy it made the top shelf of the plastic cart sag, so I cut a piece of plastic laminate covered kitchen counter material which was removed to install a sink, and used it to reinforce the top shelf of my cart.  I suggest that you not buy a chamber style vacuum sealer unless you have some disposable income, and have a place to install it permanently on a counter in your kitchen, or you have a plan for where to store it and how to get it in and out of your kitchen, like my cart. You could blow your back out humping around a chamber vacuum sealer.  Chamber vacuum sealers don't need to use the textured bags made for suction vacuum sealers; they use smooth bags.  I haven't found any rolls for a chamber vacuum sealer, and if you did, you'd need a way to seal one end of each piece which you cut off the roll.  I buy oversized bags, save the pieces I cut off the bags, seal one end of each cut off piece in my Foodsaver sealer, and use the stubs for smaller items, so I have very little waste.  The bags I use the most are 8" x 15", and I typically cut 4" to 6" off each bag and use those stubs. See the second picture below.  I'll use most of those stubs the next time I smoke a batch of fish.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 08:11:46 AM by pmmpete »

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Im using the foodsaver from Costco for years now. No complaint except you need to replace the rubber when it's not vacuuming. I buy my bags from Amazon.
Same here fish, deer, elk, and when we butcher a big slab of beef at home.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Does anyone else have a problem with their foodsaver melting the seal too much and allowing air to penetrate the bag? It seems to me that mine gets too hot after sealing a couple bags. I can actually see the bag slightly inflate after I release the lock mechanism. Sometimes I grab a fillet from the freezer and there is a noticeable pocket of air.  :smt013
I've got the costco model and buy my bags there or amazon as well.
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Not sure this helps but if I intuit a poor seal from liquid or simply not a good vacuum but it looks good at the time, I will pull the bag down another inch and seal it again, not vacuum obviously, but just seal...double seal so to speak...or I will even seal the initial seal twice right on the line...not sure this helps either but I’ve been pushing the bag with fish ready to go towards the unit and as it’s vacuuming, slightly pull back to attempt to find air pockets, kinda helping the unit do it’s work.  Not sure how successful but it seems like it helps... :smt006
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 07:23:54 AM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Does anyone else have a problem with their foodsaver melting the seal too much and allowing air to penetrate the bag? It seems to me that mine gets too hot after sealing a couple bags. I can actually see the bag slightly inflate after I release the lock mechanism. Sometimes I grab a fillet from the freezer and there is a noticeable pocket of air.  :smt013
Try buying some bags with thicker plastic and see if that prevents the problem.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Thicker bags are quite impressive.  Gonna look for rolls a touch thicker than generic food saver rolls.  Any leads? :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Thicker bags are quite impressive.  Gonna look for rolls a touch thicker than generic food saver rolls.  Any leads? :smt006

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQ8IXIK/ are the ones I use.  I often give up on the vacuum cstage and press seal to start sealing despite liquid being present in the textured channels.  I have yet to need to double seal the way I did with the FoodSaver brand.  They're also less than half the price of FoodSaver brand bags.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019

Mine has the opposite issue. Sometimes I have to seal 3+ times to get it to really close up..   After about a year the vacuum pump fails, then I take it to Costco and get a replacement.  on my 3rd. buying a chamber sealer next but will have to start steaking fish out as a fillet cant be done in a small chamber..

for nearly 200 bucks i really was hoping it would work decently but theyre pretty finicky and die fast.

I probably go through 6 to 8 rolls of bag a year
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Paging pmmpete...
My first vacuum sealer is a Foodsaver, which is a suction type of vacuum sealer.  It does a decent job of sealing fish, meat, and produce, and it's still working fine after many years, although like Darius I had to replace the gaskets which press on the vacuum bag.  After several years and a lot of use, the heat from the element which seals the bag deteriorated the gaskets.  Replacing the gaskets is easy, if you can find the right gaskets.  I buy my bags for this sealer in rolls, which is more efficient than buying pre-cut bags, because you can cut off exactly as much of the roll as you need to vacuum seal an item,whether it be big or small.  There's no waste. The Foodsaver sealer is quite compact, so I can bring is with me on road trips.

My second vacuum sealer is a biggish Cabelas brand sealer, which I got for our cabin.  It's also a suction type of vacuum sealer.  While bigger than my Foodsaver sealer, it doesn't do any better of a job of getting air out of the vacuum bags. I also use rolls of bag material in the Cabelas sealer.

Because I do a lot of vacuum sealing, I bought a Vacmaster chamber style vacuum sealer.  Chamber style sealers tend to be big, heavy, and expensive, but they do an outstanding job of getting the air out of vacuum bags, a lot better than any suction style vacuum sealer which I've seen.  I love my Vacmaster.  Because it's real heavy, I store it on a wheeled cart, with all of my vacuum sealing supplies on the shelves below the sealer, so I can wheel it into our kitchen when I need to do some sealing.  See the first picture below.  The vacuum sealer is so heavy it made the top shelf of the plastic cart sag, so I cut a piece of plastic laminate covered kitchen counter material which was removed to install a sink, and used it to reinforce the top shelf of my cart.  I suggest that you not buy a chamber style vacuum sealer unless you have some disposable income, and have a place to install it permanently on a counter in your kitchen, or you have a plan for where to store it and how to get it in and out of your kitchen, like my cart. You could blow your back out humping around a chamber vacuum sealer.  Chamber vacuum sealers don't need to use the textured bags made for suction vacuum sealers; they use smooth bags.  I haven't found any rolls for a chamber vacuum sealer, and if you did, you'd need a way to seal one end of each piece which you cut off the roll.  I buy oversized bags, save the pieces I cut off the bags, seal one end of each cut off piece in my Foodsaver sealer, and use the stubs for smaller items, so I have very little waste.  The bags I use the most are 8" x 15", and I typically cut 4" to 6" off each bag and use those stubs. See the second picture below.  I'll use most of those stubs the next time I smoke a batch of fish.

I bought my Vacmaster a few years ago.   I still absolutely love the thing.   The only thing I didn’t enjoy was carrying it up the stairs to my kitchen.  Other than that, zero regrets on the purchase. 
"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!" - Tom Magliozzi

anything