Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:12:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tingle toes  (Read 3003 times)

LuiG

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I was also going to suggest compression in the lower back sciatic nerves. I recent blew out my L5/S1 disk, my big and second toes are always numb.

I would think stretches and changing your position periodically would help to relieve the pressure. Netting a 20# salmon for example would be a truly ideal way to change your positioning.  I suggest you try that and see if improves your condition.
Hobie Revo 13

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
as in many things related to aging, yoga is always the answer

signed,
married to a yoga professional
 :smt002

for my back-sciatica-general circulation, I can recommend triangle pose, its done wonders for me this year. However, I'm a trad. paddler so my core is of course ripped af.
:smt005 :smt044 :smt044

seriously, yoga will save us all as we "acquire life experience". Just a couple poses to warm up before paddling has made a huge improvement for me.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Snarcbite

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
So i had the same problem and solved it by removing the straps on the pedals and using cushy shoes with a wide toe box ( i use crocks ).  For those interested detailed info below:

It is likely that the nerves of your toes are getting compressed by your metatarsal heads ( the bones in your ball of your feet).  When you have a narrow toe box and the restrictive strap it crunches the metatarsal heads together that causes them to shift so that likely, your 2nd metatarsal head that connects to your 2nd toe is getting more pressure as you pedal.   This is why its more than likely that your interdigital nerves along the 2nd toe gets affected more.   

Usually, when the numbness is because of the pyriformis or a herniated disc/ sciatica, you'll see symptoms on one foot and not both. 

Dr. Snarc

The Gopher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
My guess is nerve compression in your lower back is causing the sensation in your foot. I have a similar issue that's kind of always around but can be better or worse at times. It can range from a little tingling around my right heel to a pain and compression feeling on the outside of the foot. When it's really bad, it's like a string of pain right through my big toe, and if the toe bumps anything during those times it's mega pain. There's this whole variety of numbness, discomfort, and pain that I get to experience in my right foot that has almost nothing to do with the foot. 15 years walking around on a sketchy right hip has taken a toll on the right side of my spine and made the leg a little shorter than the other.

Try doing the yoga stuff and a search on youtube for exercises that target sciatica or pinched nerve in your back. Some of the stretches provide some immediate relief and can help over time if you do them regularly. Also, for me, if I keep my weight a bit lower the nerve compression seems to be a bit less. One stretch you can do on your kayak while fishing is just cross the affected leg over the other knee like you are crossing your legs then pull it toward your chest. This should feel like it's stretching the muscles in that ass cheek.  Compression of the nerves that run down your leg can happen right at the spine or by overly tight gluteus muscles pinning the nerve. Good luck.
Fish & let fish