Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:26:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:20:14 AM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 09:51:22 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Wanted: old fishing gear for veterans  (Read 1757 times)

• View Profile transitionsfromwar.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
Hey everyone,

I run a mental health clinic in Sonoma County for veterans. I am in the process of starting a fishing group and am in need of rods, reels and tackle. We will be doing surf casting and fresh water fishing for bass and trout.

What I'd like from those willing is your old gear that is still serviceable or can be made serviceable with a little work. I'm not shy about greasing and oiling up old reels. Please reply with anything you can offer. My coworkers and I can come to you or you can bring it by our office. PM me for details and address.

Thank you all and I hope you have a meaningful Memorial Day. Please take a minute to think of the men and women who didn't make it home.

Semper Fi,

Mike Ergo aka the Free Range Ginger
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 04:26:05 AM by Free Range Ginger »
‘22 Hobie Mirage Compass- Papaya
Marine Corps Veteran

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
What's your timeline for getting this stuff?  Is there a deadline?  As a fellow veteran, I certainly want to chip in, but I won't be able to sort gear and get things ready for pickup/delivery for another week.  Does that work for you?
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
Mike that's awesome.

my old gear is I think beyond repair - but I'd gladly make a $ donation - can you accept that?
I'll also sort through my old stuff, see if any of it is serviceable - but I wouldn't want to donate junk.

Thanks,
Brian.

What's your timeline for getting this stuff?  Is there a deadline?  As a fellow veteran, I certainly want to chip in, but I won't be able to sort gear and get things ready for pickup/delivery for another week.  Does that work for you?

Hey Tedski,

Yes that's totally fine. I am aiming to make this work to get a group together starting in June. I have the people ready, just need some gear. Ideally I'd love to take the group crab snaring and surf fishing in early June and get two trips out of it before Dungeness season ends on June 30th. Thank you for being willing to donate!
Marine Corps Veteran

Mike that's awesome.

my old gear is I think beyond repair - but I'd gladly make a $ donation - can you accept that?
I'll also sort through my old stuff, see if any of it is serviceable - but I wouldn't want to donate junk.

Thanks,
Brian.

Hey Brian, I won't say no to that! Let me think on the best way to do that. I can always accept PayPal and Venmo. I just want to make sure you're comfortable with the method of donation since it would be to my personal account if we went that method. Another way we could do it is make it a donation to VA voluntary services earmarked for my agency, the North Bay Vet Center. That would take more time, but be the most transparent way of doing it. Thank you again!
Marine Corps Veteran

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I sent you a PM.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Thank you everyone who has donated so far. So far we have 4 ultra light rods (one with a reel), one surf/steelhead rod, and $100 to spend. You guys are awesome. I’m blown away by the response so far. To answer some FAQs here is some more information:

1-What all do I need? Everything you are willing to donate that will help my vets catch fish on the beach or at the lake.
2- Am I running a 501c3? No, this is part of the VA. We are federal. Long story short: if I can find fishing gear on a vendorized contractors website I can put in a request to buy it and maybe get it 6 months from now.
3-Do we need guides? Yes. I know a couple spots to bring people that don’t involve climbing a jetty, but my shore-based angling on saltwater is pretty limited.
Marine Corps Veteran

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
How do I get the gears to you?  I guess new gears are ok too right?  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Thank you everyone who has donated so far. So far we have 4 ultra light rods (one with a reel), one surf/steelhead rod, and $100 to spend. You guys are awesome. I’m blown away by the response so far. To answer some FAQs here is some more information:

1-What all do I need? Everything you are willing to donate that will help my vets catch fish on the beach or at the lake.
2- Am I running a 501c3? No, this is part of the VA. We are federal. Long story short: if I can find fishing gear on a vendorized contractors website I can put in a request to buy it and maybe get it 6 months from now.
3-Do we need guides? Yes. I know a couple spots to bring people that don’t involve climbing a jetty, but my shore-based angling on saltwater is pretty limited.

Does someone in your department have a Govt Credit Card, can you do a purchase through them?  You can also reach out to the guys from American Legion From Pacifica and HMB for advice.   Those guys routinely run stuff for guys to fish off the piers there.   
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Corey

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Sonoma County falls under SFVA Correct?  Have you tried hitting up your rec therapy folks for some support?   Also put the order in as soon as possible don't wait with GSA.  It will take a while for it to be processed. be as specific as possible.   Get all the technical data, if you want A given ROD and reel set up, be as specific as you need to be including line and tackle.  I know I worked for the VA for a number of years and know how fracked up purchasing is.    If you can get someone to buy on a credit card (line and hard tackle) and what you can get donated, then what come in later is your replacement stuff.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Yes, new gear is just fine.
Either I have someone come to you or we meet up or we try the NCKA express. Where are you located?
Marine Corps Veteran

Sonoma County falls under SFVA Correct?  Have you tried hitting up your rec therapy folks for some support?   Also put the order in as soon as possible don't wait with GSA.  It will take a while for it to be processed. be as specific as possible.   Get all the technical data, if you want A given ROD and reel set up, be as specific as you need to be including line and tackle.  I know I worked for the VA for a number of years and know how fracked up purchasing is.    If you can get someone to buy on a credit card (line and hard tackle) and what you can get donated, then what come in later is your replacement stuff.

Great advice. Happy to report we have a few dollars we can use towards this and I was SHOCKED to see tackle on GSA. We are in the process of ordering stuff. That being said, those rods and reels will stay at our Vet Center while we will be able to give your donated rods to veterans to keep in many cases. And it means so much to see the support we have already seen from many of you. My heartfelt thanks goes out to you all!
Marine Corps Veteran

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Yes, new gear is just fine.
Either I have someone come to you or we meet up or we try the NCKA express. Where are you located?

I live in Prunedale (Monterey county).

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

anything