Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 12:18:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 15, 2024, 10:46:35 PM]

[May 15, 2024, 09:45:01 PM]

[May 15, 2024, 09:32:13 PM]

[May 15, 2024, 08:18:43 PM]

[May 15, 2024, 01:14:38 PM]

[May 15, 2024, 10:18:45 AM]

by Clb
[May 15, 2024, 08:47:12 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 08:16:45 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 08:06:54 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 07:51:28 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 06:29:49 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 04:58:26 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 10:06:14 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 03:38:07 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 10:16:35 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Winter food projects  (Read 4690 times)

The Gopher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Thanks BD1 for the dried sourdough starter.   I was able to revise it after a few days (see attached picture).  Tried to make my first sourdough bread after watching many YouTube videos but my doug doesn't double in size even after 2 days at room temperature.   Any tips/suggestions are appreciated.

A few days?  You may need a few weeks for that starter to stabilize.  Just keep feeding on a regular schedule.  It will work it self out.
-Allen

Thanks Allen for the info.  Just fed my starter.   It must be very hungry by now  :smt003

Also try to avoid a common beginner mistake of skipping feedings to make your starter/breads “more sour.” Results will be better if you remove some each day and refresh with fresh flour. Feeding 2 or more times a day can really ramp up the speed at which your starter and breads rise.
Fish & let fish

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks BD1 for the dried sourdough starter.   I was able to revise it after a few days (see attached picture).  Tried to make my first sourdough bread after watching many YouTube videos but my doug doesn't double in size even after 2 days at room temperature.   Any tips/suggestions are appreciated.

A few days?  You may need a few weeks for that starter to stabilize.  Just keep feeding on a regular schedule.  It will work it self out.
-Allen

Thanks Allen for the info.  Just fed my starter.   It must be very hungry by now  :smt003

Also try to avoid a common beginner mistake of skipping feedings to make your starter/breads “more sour.” Results will be better if you remove some each day and refresh with fresh flour. Feeding 2 or more times a day can really ramp up the speed at which your starter and breads rise.

Thanks for the info.  Can we use the "discard"  to bake something else?
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007

-Allen

Crumpets!  I really really liked Crumpets when doing the sour dough starter.  Random googled link: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-crumpets-recipe
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Wow!  That Crumpets recipe looks delicious 😋   Thanks for the link Al.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
 I smoked Salmon fillets from Costco last night with my super simple recipe: no brine, just sprinkle lemon pepper the smoked,  glazed honey on top and it's sooo delicious!

The Gopher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
"Discard" is another word for "starter." There are lots of things to do with it, including starting another starter, unless you let things go a few days without feeding, in which case you'll want to freshen up a bit with feedings before using it for anything.

You can take about a half cup of discard, an egg, some brown sugar (vanilla if you're fancy)  and whatever additional water/flour makes the consistency right to do a pancake or waffle batter. This can be done in larger quantities, of course. When the pan (or waffle iron) is hot and ready, you rapidly mix in some baking soda (which can be pre-dissolved in a few drops of water) to get the whole mass to bubble a bit for fluffy goodness in the end results.

Also put discard in a bowl, mix in a bit of oil and your favorite seasonings/herbs/spices, and smear over parchment paper or whatever nonstick oven-safe thing you have to make crackers. If you feed it a little first, you can smear and let it sit until there are bubbles for lighter crackers that are less like linoleum tile. Salt the top if you want to keep your blood pressure up!

So many things to do with discard, so i just shared some really simple ones.
Fish & let fish

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
https://www.theclevercarrot.com/2022/04/best-sourdough-focaccia-bread-recipe/ Make this while your at it Sonny  :smt003

Oh my gosh, that looks fabulous! I might have to try this!

dang that looks good, I'll make some pesto and hummus and be right over!

BigDistance1

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
I only use the 'discard'. We use it to make sourdough waffles almost every weekend. I left the recipe in the envelope for you (I think). If you don't have a waffle iron they make great sourdough pancakes too.

Edit: should have finished reading the replies, yes Gopher has the right idea.

-Allen

« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 07:57:17 AM by BigDistance1 »

moto.mike

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2023
Thanks for your tips and suggestions guys.  I used 1/2 cup of the starter, 1.5 cups of bottle water,  and 3 cups of Artisan bread flour.   My room temperature is around 65 degrees. Just baked this morning and waiting for it to cool down before eating it.  Will see how it tastes  :smt002

i totally got onto the covid lockdown sourdough train....anyway...
that 65 degrees is too cold.
9 times out of 10 people underproof their bread rather than overproof. at 65 degrees, you're looking at a very long proof.
i'd suggest sticking it in the oven with the oven light on. you want at least like 75 degrees ideally.
typically my first proof is like 4-6 hrs, sometimes more if it was a bit on the cooler side. Then overnight in the fridge.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 07:14:48 PM by moto.mike »

moto.mike

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2023

-Allen

my go-to discard recipe was biscuits or popovers:
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/buttery-sourdough-biscuits-recipe
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-popovers-recipe

recently came across a garlic bread/roll recipe. https://www.thisjess.com/sourdough-discard-garlic-pull-apart-bread/
on my list to try.

Califbill

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
I feed my starter each week or two.   Try for weekly.   Keep mine in the refrigerator after I let it feed for awhile when I add more flour and water.  Don’t add too much water.   Go by weight, not volume. You may not be adding enough starter, along with to cool to rise.  Most of my recipes call for a cup of starter.   I do the King Arthur crumpets a lot.   You can use canning jar lid as the form, but Amazon has stainless 6 park rings fairly cheap. I use this recipe a lot.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/rustic-olive-sourdough-bread-recipe
You can also put the bowl you are rising in, in a warm water bath. I also cook most of my breads in closed pan in the oven, with a little water. Added for steam.   Mine is a cruisinart stainless stock pot with stainless lid.   Sometimes you can add a little instant yeast also.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Thanks for all the tips, suggestions,  and recipes guys.  Can't wait for my starter to "mature" so I can bake the delicious sourdough bread.

anything