Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:05:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 01:27:07 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Question for Skinny Water/River/Small Lake Kayak Fly Fisher-people  (Read 3678 times)

Fivefingers

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2021
I paddle all the way up to Hazel in my kayak then float back hitting different spots.  You can fish anything on the river, just depends on the water you are in.

As for the float tube, it is a lot more comfortable, and I don't need to go far to get fish, they are everywhere.  I carry 3 rods and a net on my float tube rack.  Plus my float tube weights a lot less and is a ton more portable.  Heck, I even won a kayak tournament in my float tube.

Sweet! That's awesome.

Just an update, in case you folks have any sort-of buy-in on this thread. I found a screaming deal on a Echo TR #6 spey rod, and then went to Fly Fishing Specialties and got a liquidated Lamson ULA for a screaming deal, there, as well. So I have a lesson lined up to learn how to spey cast! I like the idea of having a few different types of fishing in my arsenal, and especially if I get into kayak fishing, it will be great to have a few different styles of fishing I can employ.

As far as what I'm considering, my shift has focused to more paddle kayaking at the suggestion of some of you, and thinking more critically on the issue. I've been pretty seriously looking at the Jackson Mayfly. The only issue is - no one has it stocked, locally, to demo! I might have to travel out of the area to look at one. Oh well!

Tinker

You mentioned the Mayfly.  I was pretty interested in them before they were released. After that, I could see they're covered with blingy-stuff that would snag a line, a leader, or a fly.  They don't appear to be a realistic fly-fishing platform.

I went through several kayaks before settling-in on my Trident 13, as much for it's simple, uncluttered deck as for any other of its other attributes.

Like ScottV, to whom I'll always yield the floor, I fly fish 100% of the time but 99.99% of the time it's from the T13.  I don't own a float tube (and now I feel deprived), but that brought up a good point someone once made about why one doesn't need to stand up to fly fish from a kayak: casting a fly from a seated position is much like fly-fishing from a float tube - and float tube fishing remains an extremely popular way to fish flat and skinny waters.

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
You mentioned the Mayfly.  I was pretty interested in them before they were released. After that, I could see they're covered with blingy-stuff that would snag a line, a leader, or a fly.  They don't appear to be a realistic fly-fishing platform.

I went through several kayaks before settling-in on my Trident 13, as much for it's simple, uncluttered deck as for any other of its other attributes.

Like ScottV, to whom I'll always yield the floor, I fly fish 100% of the time but 99.99% of the time it's from the T13.  I don't own a float tube (and now I feel deprived), but that brought up a good point someone once made about why one doesn't need to stand up to fly fish from a kayak: casting a fly from a seated position is much like fly-fishing from a float tube - and float tube fishing remains an extremely popular way to fish flat and skinny waters.

I think the issue for many is they have a hard time casting sitting down and would prefer to stand up to cast.  It does take a different skill to cast sitting down, but once you master it, you can cast for nay position.  I was going to get a kayak so I could stand up, but then the weight of one to keep me from falling in made it not worth it.

Any time you want to try a float tube, let me know, I have a couple.  Headed to Heenan this Saturday now that the area is open and the roads there are open too!!
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

Fivefingers

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2021

I just look at that seat on the T13 and think, "Gosh, that looks awful and so confining." I'm not claustrophobic, but you really seem married to your kayak in it, with very little room to move about on it once you're in the water. I have absolutely zero experience or weight behind this thought. I've never even been in one, and I've only kayaked a handful of times.

I think the issue for many is they have a hard time casting sitting down and would prefer to stand up to cast.  It does take a different skill to cast sitting down, but once you master it, you can cast for nay position.  I was going to get a kayak so I could stand up, but then the weight of one to keep me from falling in made it not worth it.

Any time you want to try a float tube, let me know, I have a couple.  Headed to Heenan this Saturday now that the area is open and the roads there are open too!!

I have this image that I would like to stand up from time to time while on my kayak. I envision being at the tail end of some deep pool that isn't shallow enough to wade, and to comfortably get my cast to the 'perfect spot', standing up and precise placement would be ideal. So anchoring up, standing and making some precise casts would fit the bill in that imaginary scenario.

In almost all other cases, I can't see why sitting down wouldn't work - most of the time I'd be fishing I'm probably going to either be doing some form of indicator fishing, or just dead-drifting a streamer. And like many of you folks have said, kayaks seem so silent and unassuming, fish probably don't really care when you glide over them.

And I'd have loved to go with you to Heenan, especially with the kingly offer of a float tube! Unfortunately I work weekends :smt009. I used to do the parking lot count for F&G there, years ago. Hooking into those big cutties is a thrill, and I only ever fished from shore with conventional tackle. It was hard to fly fish from shore because the fishy areas I went to had a lot of in-shore weeds.

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

And I'd have loved to go with you to Heenan, especially with the kingly offer of a float tube! Unfortunately I work weekends :smt009. I used to do the parking lot count for F&G there, years ago. Hooking into those big cutties is a thrill, and I only ever fished from shore with conventional tackle. It was hard to fly fish from shore because the fishy areas I went to had a lot of in-shore weeds.

Heenan is now open during the week.  So I plan to go up on a week or two on maybe a Wednesday.  Gonna watch the weather and pick a good day.  I'll pm you if I choose a day to see if your available.  I'll be there this Saturday for sure though.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

DancesWithHooks

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
You wont have any issues with fly fishing and kayaks other than running line management and paddles.

Sit on top kayaks make the human akin to a sail, so whatever prevalent breeze you're in will move you around just enough to make you watchful for being blown towards the fish (and the fly line puddling up as you float over it), or being blown away from the fish and inducing a bit of drag on the fly as a result.

River fishing adds the current motion to the mix which moves you and the fly into things or away from things and makes you have to adjust your casts or float to match conditions.

A paddle is also a pain as it's your sole means of locomotion, and you have to set it down to cast the fly and fish it effectively. I opted for a pedal kayak solely on this issue, as I only have to worry about wind drift, and residual pedal power and dont have to drop the paddle and pick up the rod, drop the rod and grab the paddle, drop the paddle and ... (you get the picture).

To move in response to wind, current, or impending obstacle requires the paddle - which means you have to set the rod down. You should make sure both your paddle and rod have a leash because the constant putting down/picking up is eventually going to spill one or the other over the side.

I use a large landing net as a running line management tool. Put the net perpindicular to the boat so the basket is hanging over the side and strip your excess line into it. This way the line is not underfoot or snarled up under the paddle, or other in-boat object - and will follow the drifting boat without paying out all over the river.

River fishing is more complex than pond or flat water fishing, so don't try to do too much too soon. Start with lakes or the delta and figure out how to move and cast, mend and manage line, then move to a river setting.

In summary, pedal kayaks eliminate the paddle and leave BOTH hands free to fish - that's huge for a fly fisherman.

Tinker

Okay, I admit that center console in a Trident can feel confining until you're used to it being there.  On the other hand, you don't move around all that much on/in a kayak...

I just look at that seat on the T13 and think, "Gosh, that looks awful and so confining." I'm not claustrophobic, but you really seem married to your kayak in it, with very little room to move about on it once you're in the water. I have absolutely zero experience or weight behind this thought. I've never even been in one, and I've only kayaked a handful of times.

And I got rid of a pedal kayak because the Mirage drive, the Mirage drive mounts, the hole in the deck, and the Mirage drive fins all liked to snarl or capture or steal my fly line.  Plus the "it ain't really two-handed fishing if one hand is constantly on the rudder" thing.

Everything you mentioned as a downside to paddles has never become an issue for me.  I can move about quite well with one hand and a paddle.  I rest the paddle across my lap so it's always right there when I need it.  I rarely need to set the fly rod down.  In current, I start above the target and let it drift past, mending line as needed.

It's not totally unlike fishing from a driftboat.

But the best part might be times, like yesterday, when I'm positioned in 8-inches of water to make a cast to the fish over there in deeper water and I don't need to pull a drive unit and raise a rudder.  Or maybe it's just being able to buy two paddle kayaks for the price of one with pedals...  Hard to decide.   :smt003

We all have our preferences and preferences are like opinions (and bungholes).  I've tried both types of kayak propulsion systems and settled on the one that works best for me when fly-fishing.  Others' mileage will vary.

A paddle is also a pain as it's your sole means of locomotion, and you have to set it down to cast the fly and fish it effectively. I opted for a pedal kayak solely on this issue, as I only have to worry about wind drift, and residual pedal power and dont have to drop the paddle and pick up the rod, drop the rod and grab the paddle, drop the paddle and ... (you get the picture).

To move in response to wind, current, or impending obstacle requires the paddle - which means you have to set the rod down. You should make sure both your paddle and rod have a leash because the constant putting down/picking up is eventually going to spill one or the other over the side.

anything