Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:02:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 27, 2024, 10:16:45 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 08:24:53 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 03:01:59 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 01:55:25 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: I kinda think putting a motor on a kayak removed too much “kayak-ness”  (Read 4118 times)

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
You want a small boat with a motor? Just buy a used Jet Ski!  :smt005 :smt044 :smt044

-Kiel
1st Place ARW Handline Tournament 2024
ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
You want a small boat with a motor? Just buy a used Jet Ski!  :smt005 :smt044 :smt044
-Kiel

Can you paddling a jetski long distance?  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
-Kiel

Can you paddling a jetski long distance?  :smt003

Maybe not!  :smt006

-Kiel
1st Place ARW Handline Tournament 2024
ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
As most do, I started off paddling on an inexpensive kayak. When I was ready to upgrade, I tried the peddle types. Tried both push/pull and bicycle styles. Unfortunately, due to years of motocross racing, my knees just couldn't take it after a few hours. This left me with three options. 1. Just keep paddling 2. Buy a boat 3. Use a trolling motor. I chose the later for several reasons. No space to keep a boat and with a trolling motor, I can use it or chose to paddle. This has allowed me to expand my time on the water and really upped my fishing experience.  I agree with the necessity of knowing your limitation. If you don't know your limitations then you really shouldn't be in big or moving water.
I fish, therefore I Cuss and Lie!

Crabby Jake

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2020
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is for around 1500 you can get a GPS enabled trolling motor that will spotlock you in place while fishing in currents, no anchor needed.
The kayak moving around too much was my biggest struggle when I started kayak fishing (and I come from a pretty strong paddling background).
In my case, removing some of the kayakness has been helpful in having more fun while fishing.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
That's good that you know your physical limits when it comes to paddling. I'm worried about the people who don't. With the increasing popularity in motorized kayaks, new guys who jump right into a motorized kayak with no experience on a pedal or paddle kayak aren't going to be familiar with their physical limits. The motor could lull them into a false sense of security and capability. When the time comes where they've motored several miles offshore and the motor dies, I hope they can safely pedal or paddle back to shore, assuming they have a pedal drive or a paddle. If not, hopefully there's someone around to come save them, whether it's the CG or a boat.

I'll continue recommending to the new guys with motors, to be aware of their physical capabilities and be comfortable paddling--or pedaling--whatever kind of kayak they take offshore before they fire up that motor.
I agree that anyone new to kayaking needs to be aware of their physical limitations. Every time a clueless kayaker paddles downwind or downstream they are at risk of getting in over their physical abilities. A clueless kayaker with a motor is mainly at risk if the motor fails. It’s not like the motor fails every third trip or anything. So with the cluelessness being equal, I think the kayaker with the motor is actually safer.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Mike1967

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2024
I read someplace that California wants you to register the yak if you put a motor on it. Is there any truth to that?  I’ve never tried a motor on any of mine, but it sure looks like it makes it easy to hold on a fishing spot with one.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I read someplace that California wants you to register the yak if you put a motor on it. Is there any truth to that?  I’ve never tried a motor on any of mine, but it sure looks like it makes it easy to hold on a fishing spot with one.

You read it right.   If you put a motor on kayak, you have to register the kayak.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Mike1967

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I just saw that on another thread confirming it too.  They’ll do anything to get another dollar out of our pockets. I’m surprised you can have candles on a birthday cake without a fire permit in this state. Lol

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I started with an old necky dolphin, then that OK before the prowler,  then prowler, eventually to an adventure, then AI, then a motor on the AI v2.  I sometimes used the motor on the AI (for really long days with shifty wind), then a 17 foot cc, now a 20 foot cc

AI is a boat...a Hella fun one, but a boat
Kayak with a motor, a boat. Sorry

Don't kid yourself that you are kayaking anymore once that motor goes on

The adventure of it all is still there in a motor kayak, being close to the water, feeling small and exposed. That part is why I have stuck with CCs and smallish boats.

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
interesting.

I fish from a kayak.  fishing is the primary event, and the reason I go out.  honestly, if a had a bigger truck, storage space, someone else's way bigger salary, I would buy a bass boat.  hahah..

well, kinda.  I love the access a kayak gives me to fishing.

having said that, I havent brought the motor the last 3x I went fishing.  I still did it with kicking my feet.  just working that battery into my truck sometimes seems like a bridge too far.  ha!!  I'll figure out my routine some day, one day, eventually.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I started with an old necky dolphin, then that OK before the prowler,  then prowler, eventually to an adventure, then AI, then a motor on the AI v2.  I sometimes used the motor on the AI (for really long days with shifty wind), then a 17 foot cc, now a 20 foot cc

AI is a boat...a Hella fun one, but a boat
Kayak with a motor, a boat. Sorry

Don't kid yourself that you are kayaking anymore once that motor goes on

The adventure of it all is still there in a motor kayak, being close to the water, feeling small and exposed. That part is why I have stuck with CCs and smallish boats.

If a kayak with a motor is a boat, what is a boat without a motor?
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Dont over think it.

It's a boat without a motor  :smt003 :smt044
-Jason

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
Dont over think it.

It's a boat without a motor  :smt003 :smt044

hahah...a rowboat doesnt need a DMV visit I imagine.  neither does one of the giant swans you can pedal around the lake with your girlfriend.  :D

with a motor...your are registering a friggen SWAN.  that would derail the DMV!!!

Mike1967

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Dont over think it.

:smt001It's a boat without a motor  :smt003 :smt044

hahah...a rowboat doesnt need a DMV visit I imagine.  neither does one of the giant swans you can pedal around the lake with your girlfriend.  :D

with a motor...your are registering a friggen SWAN.  that would derail the DMV!!!

Now I’m imagining the looks on the faces of the DMV staff when you register the Swan with the 50 horse Evinrude on it.  :smt001