Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:09:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:55:25 PM]

[Today at 12:04:28 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: I kinda think putting a motor on a kayak removed too much “kayak-ness”  (Read 4115 times)

JoeDubC

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020

For me, kayaking on the ocean is all about what my body and the simple machines of platform and paddle can achieve.  I've been lots of miles from port and had to work hard for hours straight, against current and wind, to get back safely to port.  Experiences like that are invigorating, and pushing yourself in those situations isn't just life changing, it's living!

[/quote]
This.  (Although the struggle is so much more rewarding sans skunk.)
Personally I have no desire to get a motor, but it doesn't bother me when someone in a group is motorized. If it became a trend and the majority were motorized, then it might suck for me.
If my knees or legs go out, then I may have to rethink it.
I pedaled the Lynx about 8 miles at Hogan on Sunday, then pedaled my new Mt bike at Rockville for a few hours on Monday. My legs were feeling it and it felt good.
Hobie i9
'21 Hobie Outback Papaya

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
to each their own. I have no interest in motorizing, but don't hold it against those that do. I will say that I prefer they go electric instead of gas powered  though to avoid the noise pollution and the smell of the exhaust.

Cheers,
Brad

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I built a 13 foot old sail boat into a motorized skiff. I've put motors on kayaks before  :thumbdown I'll leave the kayak motor-less for now. I used to say id never pedal too, so never know :smt005 :smt006 And yes. it has a stereo :smt002
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I built a 13 foot old sail boat into a motorized skiff. I've put motors on kayaks before  :thumbdown I'll leave the kayak motor-less for now. I used to say id never pedal too, so never know :smt005 :smt006 And yes. it has a stereo :smt002
Is that a speaker?  :smt005
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I started out with a peddle drive but the weight was unbearable when just starting out, and not knowing the easy ways to load/unload. Sold it and purchased an Eddyline Caribbean that only weighed 50lbs. After some long days salmon trolling I decided to get a Torqeedo 403. After a few times out I started using it for everything.

From the beginning I started getting my line caught in the propeller, and with the motor mounted on the back you need to go back to the launch, have someone help, or jump in to clear the line. The last time I snagged the propeller was at HMB near the red can. I jumped in cleared it, and continued fishing. I never go further than I’m comfortable paddling. I dropped the throttle in the water dealing with a halibut, and the throttle died costing $350.00.

Due to the frustrations, I have been using it less, and only used it once last year. So if I could start my kayak adventure over, I would skip the motor, and get a Revo 13. Although I’m getting pretty proficient at paddling with the Eddyline so it may be a while before I make a change.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: Mark L
if I could start my kayak adventure over, I would skip the motor

I definitely thought of you when I wrote my reply, Mark.  Never felt you needed it at all, and that's the only type of person I'd want to have a motor.  Another multi-trip client on that list is Schwegg.  There are others.

I'm not slamming anyone who chooses a motor for the yak.  I am definitely wanting to get my advisory out there though, that using a motor if it will get you past your capabilities to return without it = bad news.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I think any kayaker can get in over their head if they don’t stay within their abilities. It’s not like there has been a shortage of kayaker’s getting into trouble before motors came on the scene. It’s possible to paddle to far and not be able to fight the wind or tide to get back. Is the rule, never motor farther from shore than you can paddle? Does that only apply to kayaks? Motorboats can breakdown too. Should they stay within paddle distance as well? Lots of things can go wrong on the ocean. I imagine a lot of people think it’s crazy for anyone to take any kayak on the ocean. We all have different abilities and different levels of risk tolerance. Motors are tools and can be used safely or not. Motors are not for everyone but I think one person’s misuse doesn’t condemn them for everyone else. Paddles, peddles or motors, whatever floats your boat.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I never understood the idea of mounting a motor on the stern just because of the difficulty of clearing a fouled prop. I put a motor mount on the pedal scupper so it is right in front of me. It’s the only way I’d do it.

I started out with a peddle drive but the weight was unbearable when just starting out, and not knowing the easy ways to load/unload. Sold it and purchased an Eddyline Caribbean that only weighed 50lbs. After some long days salmon trolling I decided to get a Torqeedo 403. After a few times out I started using it for everything.

From the beginning I started getting my line caught in the propeller, and with the motor mounted on the back you need to go back to the launch, have someone help, or jump in to clear the line. The last time I snagged the propeller was at HMB near the red can. I jumped in cleared it, and continued fishing. I never go further than I’m comfortable paddling. I dropped the throttle in the water dealing with a halibut, and the throttle died costing $350.00.

Due to the frustrations, I have been using it less, and only used it once last year. So if I could start my kayak adventure over, I would skip the motor, and get a Revo 13. Although I’m getting pretty proficient at paddling with the Eddyline so it may be a while before I make a change.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I think any kayaker can get in over their head if they don’t stay within their abilities. It’s not like there has been a shortage of kayaker’s getting into trouble before motors came on the scene. It’s possible to paddle to far and not be able to fight the wind or tide to get back. Is the rule, never motor farther from shore than you can paddle? Does that only apply to kayaks? Motorboats can breakdown too. Should they stay within paddle distance as well? Lots of things can go wrong on the ocean. I imagine a lot of people think it’s crazy for anyone to take any kayak on the ocean. We all have different abilities and different levels of risk tolerance. Motors are tools and can be used safely or not. Motors are not for everyone but I think one person’s misuse doesn’t condemn them for everyone else. Paddles, peddles or motors, whatever floats your boat.
Are you suggesting that it's reasonable to rely on a motor to go beyond your physical capabilities? If you use the motor to go three miles, but the motor dies and you can't paddle three miles back to shore, then someone's gonna have to go "rescue" you. It's like filling your car with 200 miles worth of gas when you know you're going on a 300 mile trip.

Yeah, lots of things can go wrong on the ocean. Kayaking on the ocean carries risks that we try our best to mitigate, via PFDs, immersion gear, VHF radio, etc. But this one--relying on a motor to take you beyond your physical capabilites--seems like a real easy one to control. It's one less rescue effort that can be saved for someone else, and reduces the risk of others getting into trouble from trying to rescue you from a situation you knowingly and willingly put yourself into.
aMayesing Bros.

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Is that a speaker?  :smt005
Ya, I put a sub in too. Has blue tooth and a solar panel to keep it going all day long. Electric trolling motor, 2 batteries. Madness in a fiberglass shell
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
a surprising benefit of a motor is you can do some things while puttering to a new spot. 

i tied a knot will under power.  ahha..that has never happened.

i'm curious how much i use it. 

if i can draw a parallel to my mountain biking life.  ALL my friends bought E-Bikes.  i dont want one, but it is NOT fun riding with them anymore.  i go solo now.  which is fine.  on a kayak, at least i can fish with motor people without my motor.  it does suck watching them eat and drink while i am mouth-breathing trying to keep up with them at 4mph with my mirage drive.  hahah.. so there is that.

great conversation people.  if anyone gets a motor, i am available for LESSONS LEARNED.

You can eat, drink, or tie a knot while pedaling a Hobie.  I have done hundreds of times.  Sure you have to reach down and adjust the rudder sometimes to keep you in the direction you want to go, but it isn’t hard to do.
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

Sierra Outdoors

• Sardine
  • View Profile Fishing Gear Guide's Fish Plant Newsletter
  • Date Registered: Jan 2024
everything I attached to my kayak comes off with ease.  I can drop the motor into the deep blue with a flip of a lever.  the battery will fall off with gravity and the quick releases come apart.

I can right my kayak easily without the motor.  I always leash my pedal drive, and I ALWAY have a paddle.

I'll lose money, and that would be a bummer..but I would have a story.  :D

Curious about the lever you're talking about. Assuming this is one of those quick release brackets?
Spend most of my time between the Sierras, Half Moon Bay, and San Pedro. Also run the largest and most accurate freshwater fish plant info for all of California 🎣

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
a surprising benefit of a motor is you can do some things while puttering to a new spot. 

i tied a knot will under power.  ahha..that has never happened.

i'm curious how much i use it. 

You can eat, drink, or tie a knot while pedaling a Hobie.  I have done hundreds of times.  Sure you have to reach down and adjust the rudder sometimes to keep you in the direction you want to go, but it isn’t hard to do.

LETS GO!!! video yourself tying a FG knot while kicking Hobie Pedals.  start with an Alberto knot to warm up.

lets do this.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Are you suggesting that it's reasonable to rely on a motor to go beyond your physical capabilities? If you use the motor to go three miles, but the motor dies and you can't paddle three miles back to shore, then someone's gonna have to go "rescue" you. It's like filling your car with 200 miles worth of gas when you know you're going on a 300 mile trip.

Yeah, lots of things can go wrong on the ocean. Kayaking on the ocean carries risks that we try our best to mitigate, via PFDs, immersion gear, VHF radio, etc. But this one--relying on a motor to take you beyond your physical capabilites--seems like a real easy one to control. It's one less rescue effort that can be saved for someone else, and reduces the risk of others getting into trouble from trying to rescue you from a situation you knowingly and willingly put yourself into.

I’m saying that motors on kayaks are a tool no different that any others. It can be used wisely or not. Let’s say I paddle 3 miles out with the wind. I work my crab pots all day paddling between them and pulling heavy pots. Later in the day the wind is stronger but I want to stay to the end of the tide. I finish and now I’m exhausted and have to paddle back into to a 10-15 mph wind. It seems to me it is easy to do that. It’s not because I’m using a paddle that I can’t make it back to the launch. The fault is with the person. It’s easy to get in over your physical abilities with or without a motor. It’s easy to kayak in the ocean in jeans and a T-shirt, fall in, and need to be rescued. Would you blame the mode of propulsion for those rescues? If someone peddles out till their peddles break down and can’t paddle back, would you blame using peddles? I can paddle a kayak father than a 20 foot Boston Whaler. How far from shore is it ok to take a motor boat? If I go kayaking and don’t know or ignore my physical limitations, that is on me. If I only paddle my kayak, every day I go out I’m susceptible to being too weak to return to port. If I use my motor, I’m susceptible to being too weak to return only if my motor breaks down. If my motor breaks down, I have less fatigue because I haven’t been wearing myself out all day.

I think we can both agree that going beyond your physical limits isn’t a good idea. I just don’t think that using a motor automatically means you’re going beyond your abilities. I think I can still paddle 3 miles, but I wouldn’t enjoy it. I kayak to have fun so I use a motor. If I ever need to be rescued because my motor breaks down it will be because I used poor judgment, not because I used a motor.

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
That's good that you know your physical limits when it comes to paddling. I'm worried about the people who don't. With the increasing popularity in motorized kayaks, new guys who jump right into a motorized kayak with no experience on a pedal or paddle kayak aren't going to be familiar with their physical limits. The motor could lull them into a false sense of security and capability. When the time comes where they've motored several miles offshore and the motor dies, I hope they can safely pedal or paddle back to shore, assuming they have a pedal drive or a paddle. If not, hopefully there's someone around to come save them, whether it's the CG or a boat.

I'll continue recommending to the new guys with motors, to be aware of their physical capabilities and be comfortable paddling--or pedaling--whatever kind of kayak they take offshore before they fire up that motor.
aMayesing Bros.