Kayak Fishing Zone > Hookups and Fishing Reports (Viewable by Public)

Craigslist scams?

(1/2) > >>

dan916:
I looking for a hobie rev. kayak for my daughter and wife. I contacted this guy was setting up a time/place to check it out. He was trying to get me to give him a deposit or down payment on it before even actually seeing it. Once I mentioned that I won’t do that and that I want to look at it first, he stopped talking. Also he never contacted me by texting or calling my phone and only talked through the Craigslist email. Just be aware of possible Craigslist scammers!

Eddie:
Good catch...7" firefly included 1500?  scam life to da max...

dan916:
lol it sounded like a great deal and would love this setup. I’ve heard of a few other guys having this same type of scamming problem with other kayaks on Craigslist. Buyer be aware!!

AlsHobieOutback:
It's always been an issue, so Craigslist has these links to help guide people: https://www.craigslist.org/about/help/safety/scams/

Avoiding:

--- Quote ---Avoiding Scams

Deal locally, face-to-face —follow this one rule and avoid the vast majority of scam attempts.

DO NOT:

provide or accept payment before meeting in person
        requests to wire money are scams
        requests to pay with gift cards are scams
        requests to deposit a cashier's check are scams
        requests to use a escrow service can be a scam
    provide any financial information - e.g. bank account number, cashapp logins
    provide any personal information - social security number, licenses, job references

Beware of:

offers involving shipping or movers
    "guaranteed" transactions or payment processing services
    requests to call or email for more information
    requests for a "code" or "verification" - these are always a scam

A good craigslist interaction will:

Use CL mail relay to discuss a specific item, service, or job
    Arrange to meet in a safe, public place
    Improve humanity :)

--- End quote ---

Sin Coast:
I tried to buy that kayak too…
And it’s not that great of a deal…it’s just reasonable enough to be believeable. If it said 800 bucks then it would’ve been obvious scam.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version