Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:12:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:10:03 PM]

[Today at 09:02:38 PM]

[Today at 06:36:16 PM]

[Today at 03:32:29 PM]

[Today at 02:15:19 PM]

[Today at 10:36:12 AM]

[Today at 09:08:11 AM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 06:05:56 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 01:56:07 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Garmin Striker 4 FF issue  (Read 2797 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
As you can see in the attached picture, my practically new Garmin Striker 4 Vivid FF got moisture behind the screen. It sill works, but looks like this is a serious problem. Has anybody else had a similar problem?

Anyways, I went online, and it was incredibly painless to make a warrantee claim. I should have a replacement soon, at which point I'll send in the old one, so no need to go without a FF in the interim. I hope the new one does not develop the same problem...

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Does the garmin have a SD card slot, like the Lowrance units?  I had issues with moisture until I stared filling that card slot with dialectic grease and then taping over it.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Oh weird. 

My Striker 4 has been pretty solid - had it for about a year.  Works well, never any leakage in the screen.  But, I have the basic Striker 4 with no SD card slot.  Curious if other versions have a card slot.  Hopefully the one you have just has a faulty seal or something and the new one is good to go. 
- Kevin

LingKiller

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Just curious if the moisture issue was resolved and the overall performance of this FF.  My Lowrance Hook 4 gave out at the end of last year so I am looking for a replacement and this FF seems to be pretty highly rated.  Any input will be appreciated.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Just curious if the moisture issue was resolved and the overall performance of this FF.  My Lowrance Hook 4 gave out at the end of last year so I am looking for a replacement and this FF seems to be pretty highly rated.  Any input will be appreciated.

I contacted Garmin, and they asked for a picture. When I emailed them the picture above, they sent me a replacement. I've had no problem with the new one.

Tpowell707

• Salmon
  • View Profile Deadliest Kast Fishing
  • Date Registered: May 2021

Been rocking mine for a couple of years now with no issues, love it! I tried out the Vivid model but not really much of an upgrade from the plus so sent it back. Just make sure to clean your connections and use a dielectric grease. Made this mistake and had to replace the power cable after about a year of just rinsing at the end of the day.
Deadliest Kast Fishing Deckhand

Vibe Shearwater 125- Team Blue

2nd Place-2022 Albion Open

"One doesn’t discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." André Gide.

smowho

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
I have the exact same issue, haven't taken the time to find a solution but it comes and goes. 

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Same with mine, do you think the water getting in at the edge of the screen? We could probably throw some lexel around the edges but I'm not sure where it is getting in.

Fret getting a replacement unit and losing all of my tracks :(
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Yeah, i'm really tired of losing the data when they die.  Do the more expensive units have better ways to store the data or transmit it without using an SD card?  If they do I'd possibly consider paying more to have a feature like that.

JMcKroid

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Yeah, i'm really tired of losing the data when they die.  Do the more expensive units have better ways to store the data or transmit it without using an SD card?  If they do I'd possibly consider paying more to have a feature like that.

The more expensive units that I have owned all required an SD card to transfer the data.  One has to manually transfer the data to the card or it stays on the internal memory of the unit.  The internal memory has never been big enough to hold all of my spots, so as I am adding new ones the old ones get erased and are lost for good if I forgot to manually transfer the data to the SD card.

Keeping the cable contacts clean with generous dielectric grease is key to maintaining a good working unit.  As the companies cut corners, many stopped supplying covers for the cables while not in use.  Vacuum caps can be found on Amazon and work well to keep the ends covered and protected.

West Marines Warranty is worth it IMHO,  Is added to MFG'.  If something goes wrong, no more phone calls, shipping, and waiting.  Just return the unit to West Marine, and walk out of the store with another NIB.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Kinda surprising how primitive these are, given the price. I’d expect Bluetooth, if not Wi-Fi for data transfer…

JMcKroid

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Kinda surprising how primitive these are, given the price. I’d expect Bluetooth, if not Wi-Fi for data transfer…
Some of mine have Bluetooth, but I never bothered to figure out if it can be used for that, it's just easier to pull the sd card for the transfer of waypoints.

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Waiting for the day!

buzjerry

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2022
I've had mine for 2 years and haven't seen this issue. Will be keeping my eye on it.