Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2024, 09:06:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:00:43 AM]

[Today at 09:00:32 AM]

[Today at 08:34:59 AM]

[Today at 07:28:21 AM]

by KPD
[Today at 07:11:13 AM]

[Today at 06:14:48 AM]

[October 25, 2024, 10:24:12 PM]

[October 25, 2024, 04:19:38 PM]

[October 25, 2024, 02:27:55 PM]

[October 25, 2024, 09:25:06 AM]

[October 24, 2024, 04:35:17 PM]

[October 24, 2024, 02:51:48 PM]

[October 24, 2024, 11:11:30 AM]

[October 24, 2024, 08:21:55 AM]

by Rick
[October 24, 2024, 08:16:44 AM]

by &
[October 24, 2024, 12:15:29 AM]

[October 23, 2024, 11:13:12 PM]

[October 23, 2024, 10:55:08 PM]

[October 23, 2024, 09:54:58 PM]

[October 23, 2024, 02:15:14 PM]

[October 23, 2024, 08:55:27 AM]

[October 23, 2024, 07:39:37 AM]

[October 23, 2024, 07:32:02 AM]

[October 22, 2024, 08:47:46 AM]

[October 21, 2024, 04:45:36 PM]

[October 21, 2024, 11:10:19 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Ferry Point Float Plan Feedback  (Read 926 times)

newbanquestu

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Wanting to launch out of Ferry Point, Richmond, for the first time this Saturday. I've only been there once before, to fish off the pier, so I was hoping folks who know the launch well could alert me if any of the following sounds concerning in terms of OTW safety, fish safety and car safety:

Hoping to arrive around 6:00am and be back by 11:00am. Was probably going to clear everything out of my car, take valuables with me in a dry bag and leave elbow rest and glove compartment open and visibly empty to deter break-ins (I do have a newer car).

Thinking I'd troll north in my Old Town Autopilot 120 on the last parts of the incoming tide, putz around in that area between the long wharf, channel and Pt. Richmond for a few hours, trolling and working swim baits, then ride the outgoing tide back to Ferry Point. Wouldn't mind exploring further north to the bridge/red rock but worried about those notorious currents.

Low tidal coefficient day, looking like mostly ~6mph winds, and I should be off the water before wind hits double digits.

Targeting halibut and would like to eat any keeper. Hoping I'll be far enough away from the Richmond Inner Harbor to not have to worry about its pollutants and can just refer to the general, bay eating guidance.

Thank you!

Tsuri

• Weekend Fisherman
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Sounds like a good plan assuming the weather cooperates. I'll add stay alert and be ready to move quick when crossing the channel those tankers and tugs in there scoot along at a good clip and form a sporty wake!
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

JoeDubC

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
I may go out there on Saturday as well since conditions look good. Or I might do ARW.  I will see how I feel after Berryessa tomorrow.
I also need to buy some bait, since mine is too old/manky at this point.

I've never gone that far up towards the bridge and red rocks.
Hobie i9 - sold
'21 Hobie Outback Papaya
Hobie Lynx

Tsuri

• Weekend Fisherman
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Shoot I might make it as well conditions dependent.

I also have never ventured past the long wharf from that launch.
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Plan sounds solid to me.  I like Ferry Point - one of my favorite spots for kayaking.  Fishing tends to be kinda slow for me there, but I am no halibut whisperer, so your results may vary.  I think the currents are easier to manage there than at Alameda.

Parking isn't bad there.  I park in the lot, and don't feel uncomfortable leaving my truck unattended for half a day or so. 

Bait is usually pretty easy to get along the pier.  I've caught smelt, shiners, and anchovies there. 

I've not ventured up to Red Rock yet, but it is definitely on my Bay Area bucket list.  I've heard there are some very productive spots there for stripers. 

Good luck!  I'm hoping to get on the water this weekend too - maybe might see you out there.
- Kevin

newbanquestu

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
I think the currents are easier to manage there than at Alameda.

Wow, interesting. I don't think I've encountered a comparison of the two spots before. Alameda to OAK airport is my usual SF Bay haunt, and it was getting sick of the currents there that motivated me to save up and spring for the autopilot after 15 years of just being paddle-powered.

But, it's looking a tad less windy out of Richmond this weekend, and I have an early hard stop, so I figured, why not finally try the launch that's closer to home and doesn't have boats competing in the launch queue? I've only ever caught rays in the area, the few times I've been out there on boats, but finding/getting comfortable with a good new launch spot is a reward in itself.

Thanks for all the replies and hope to see some company out there!

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Yeah, should be pretty nice weather this weekend.  I the trick to Richmond is just keep moving - trolling should serve you well.  Good luck out there!
- Kevin

JoeDubC

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I plan to be there around 6:30 tomorrow.
Hobie i9 - sold
'21 Hobie Outback Papaya
Hobie Lynx

JoeDubC

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Weather was great and there were more kayak fishers than I’ve ever seen there -12-15. But I couldn’t get a bite. Saw a few smallish fish caught.
Hobie i9 - sold
'21 Hobie Outback Papaya
Hobie Lynx

Tsuri

• Weekend Fisherman
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Launched a bit after Joe and Mable, about 20' from the beach in about 8' of water lowered my first herring to check the roll and got hit on the drop! Fish shot off horizontal!! I'm thinking bat ray but was a just short butt figured it was going to be a good day!!!! 

Ended up drifting a gifted jack smelt around for some of time until I got bored and switched bach to trolling the herring which resulted in several more short strikes throughout the day.

Conditions where much better than I anticipated and was able to stay on the water till around 1:30. So far this halibut season has been much less productive for me than last year hoping I can start putting some decent fish in the kayak soon.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 09:53:06 AM by Tsuri »
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

Califbill

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
I fished that area as a kid.   Grew up in El Cerrito.   Plugging along the rocks, when I had my
Valco, produced stripers.

Bekaykay

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I thought my boyfriend and I did pretty terrible with one 22 incher between the two of us.  Now I feel better.  We each got a solid hit on our first drop and lost them 3/4 of the way to the surface.  Several more solid bites and I landed the small one.  I even took a video of it on the measure board in case of the inevitable shrinkage.  I usually do really well out there and it's the closest to my house.  Slow year, huh
.  Several charters showed up around us at 9am and weren't landing many.  I checked their totals and they all went home with barely one halibut per person.  Too bad, conditions were ideal.  Nice to meet some of y'all in the parking lot.

Bekaykay

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
There was tons of baitfish in the water.  So much that it was like looking at the clouds and seeing shapes.  I saw a baitball that was the shape of a big cartoon fish, one that looked like a truck, and one that looked like....uhh...men's anatomy.

astralography

• Sand Dab
  • It's Only Fishing!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2021
This has been by far the worst year at Richmond I have ever experienced.  It's usually a very good spot, but this year it's been terrible.  I'm seeing the occasional Hali caught, but nothing like other years.

I landed 22 keepers here last year.... so it can be a great place.  Don't think I will be going back out here again this season. 

anything