Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 10:05:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:54:20 AM]

by Clb
[Today at 08:47:12 AM]

[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

[Today at 08:06:54 AM]

[Today at 07:51:28 AM]

[Today at 06:29:49 AM]

[Today at 04:58:26 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 10:06:14 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 09:58:08 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 03:38:07 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 03:35:58 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 10:16:35 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 09:18:31 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 05:08:57 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 02:26:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Legal ling bait  (Read 3397 times)

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I've read, tried real hard, the fishing regs and can't find out if it is legal to use live rock cod as bait for lings. I heard it somewhere that you can't use gamefish and that's what I'm sticking to until I hear different. Anybody know the answer to this?
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
It's legal so long as you count the bait as part of your catch, and it meets the legal size/take requirements.

For example, you can use a greenling as ling bait so long as it's a legal fish of 12" or more and you don't have more than 2 of em within your allowed 10 fish "rockfish" limit.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Here we go again...

EricB seems to have beaten me to the answer, but I spent to much time on typing this not to post it and reiterate what he said.

Juan, you are correct for freshwater, but the only regulation regarding live bait in the Ocean is the following...
27.10. Live Bait Restrictions. Tilapia may not be used or possessed for use as bait in ocean
waters.
Basically in the ocean, if it's legal to fish for and possess, it's legal to use as live bait.  If salmon season was open and you caught a legal salmon, technically you could tie a hook on that fish and use it as bait.  The "bait" counts still towards your salmon limit for the day.  Okay that's an extreme example, but they actually do this in Alaska for salmon sharks.

Another thing to consider is the accidental hitch-hiker.  It is legal to catch a ling using just a spear or a gaff so if he happens to be on the rockfish you are catching at the time you gaff him, so be it.

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
While fishing Monastery beach last year, an unknown fishmerman named Sackyak brought up a ling with a canary half swallowed by the ling.  The tail was out of the mouth and the top half of the fish down the gullet.

so fish courts, is this an illegal canary possession?  Always wondered...
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I've been fishing for over 40 yrs, and I don't know what makes Wardens do the things they do sometimes, maybe it's it comes from some of the people they have to deal with. 

For the most part when I get checked by a warden I feel like I'm being treated like a criminal (guilty until proven innocent), but occasionally I run into a warden that does their job well and still keeps it on a friendly personal level, even sometimes offering tips and info that I've found interesting and valuable.

As for the canary, get it back into the water as fast as you can, even if it's dead, even if you have to gut the ling (legal ling that is) to get it, just get it away from you in any legal manner possible.

dale

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006

...but occasionally I run into a warden that does their job well and still keeps it on a friendly personal level, even sometimes offering tips and info that I've found interesting and valuable.

I have been fairly lucky in that respect probably 10 to 1 nice wardens to the tough guy.  One guy in particular out of Monterey on the inflatable skiffs is really cool.  As to the digested canary, you're probably right better safe than sorry!
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
So why can't you use Tilapia as live bait? 

For some reason, I thought this fish found near Australia or the S. Pac., so it is not clear how you would have been able to keep it alive...

Slammer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
Thanks for the info fellas.

S.

AbMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
.......For the most part when I get checked by a warden I feel like I'm being treated like a criminal (guilty until proven innocent), .....

Me too.  :smt012

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
So why can't you use Tilapia as live bait? 

For some reason, I thought this fish found near Australia or the S. Pac., so it is not clear how you would have been able to keep it alive...

That's part of the problem, F&G doesn't want them escaping and becoming established along our coast.   As for sources of live tilapia in California.. they're already found in the Salton Sea and your neighborhood asian grocery store.

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Basically in the ocean, if it's legal to fish for and possess, it's legal to use as live bait.  If salmon season was open and you caught a legal salmon, technically you could tie a hook on that fish and use it as bait.  The "bait" counts still towards your salmon limit for the day.  Okay that's an extreme example, but they actually do this in Alaska for salmon sharks.

Just a clarification.  You can't use sport caught salmon for bait in AK.  In AK, you can buy commercially caught salmon sold as bait and use it as bait.

-Allen

peteb

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
So I assume that it is OK to use perch for ling bait, as long as I count them in my perch limit?

Another thing: what do people recommend for releasing canaries so they survive?  I get depressed throwing so many back that just float until the gulls get at them.   I heard of people who puncture the swim bladder (prob not a good solution).  Another guy (boat fisherman) clips them onto his downrigger clip and lowers them down.  At the bottom they either get off on their own, or presumably get hammered by huge lings.  Any idea?  We might as well not be "protecting" the canary cod, since they can't take being brought to the surface and the mortality rate seems to be about 100%.

Pete

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Sheldon Descender...availble locally at all OPS stores

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yep, get a Shelton fish descender. Get the heavy duty size: http://www.sheltonproducts.com/

I bought two and keep one rigged and ready any time I get a floater. This should be required by law, IMO.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...