Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:33:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 30, 2024, 09:10:03 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:02:38 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 06:36:16 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 03:32:29 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 02:15:19 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 10:36:12 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:08:11 AM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 06:05:56 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 01:56:07 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bonafide Questions  (Read 1723 times)

ekanjpn

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
Hey!

Recently got my first yak, a Bonafide P127.  After a couple quick trips I noticed some resistance when steering and called customer service.   It turned out they have a known issue with the sleeves at the handle coming out. 

They were super helpful and shipped me the replacements.  That’s where my concerns came up.  The change seemed pretty simple so I went to wrenching to learn more about the boat.  I noticed a few things that seemed off and wanted some more experienced thoughts before I really start complaining to them.

1.  The cables for steering are running free air inside the hull.   They actually cross the rudder release (not sure the term) that lowers the “switchblade” rudder down.   This seems to be a bad idea since they are rubbing each other and the underside of the deck.  Is this normal or should these be in some kind of conduit?

2.  The drain plug is threaded and drilled into the kayak parallel to the deck and not actually perpendicular to the angled hull.  When installed it looks like it is cross threaded but after inspection of the threading it just doesn’t seem angled right.  CS said it’s supposed to sit flush on the hull but if it’s not leaking it should be fine.   Since I am new I haven’t exactly taken it out to where water is crashing into the hill and submerging the plug, kind of don’t want to find out that way either lol.   

3.  One of the holes for the steering cable “sleeves” are slightly too large so I had to wrap them about two times with electrical tape to get it to bite and hold.   

All that being said.   Does anyone know if their p127 is built the same way?   In general is this the quality control that is acceptable for a boat this price or am having unrealistic expectations with the industry or materials? 

Their customer care has been friendly and responsive but after spending over a year pulling the trigger and spending this much I wasnt expecting to have concerns like this until I started DIYing stuff lol. 

Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Hey!

Recently got my first yak, a Bonafide P127.  After a couple quick trips I noticed some resistance when steering and called customer service.   It turned out they have a known issue with the sleeves at the handle coming out. 

They were super helpful and shipped me the replacements.  That’s where my concerns came up.  The change seemed pretty simple so I went to wrenching to learn more about the boat.  I noticed a few things that seemed off and wanted some more experienced thoughts before I really start complaining to them.

1.  The cables for steering are running free air inside the hull.   They actually cross the rudder release (not sure the term) that lowers the “switchblade” rudder down.   This seems to be a bad idea since they are rubbing each other and the underside of the deck.  Is this normal or should these be in some kind of conduit?

2.  The drain plug is threaded and drilled into the kayak parallel to the deck and not actually perpendicular to the angled hull.  When installed it looks like it is cross threaded but after inspection of the threading it just doesn’t seem angled right.  CS said it’s supposed to sit flush on the hull but if it’s not leaking it should be fine.   Since I am new I haven’t exactly taken it out to where water is crashing into the hill and submerging the plug, kind of don’t want to find out that way either lol.   

3.  One of the holes for the steering cable “sleeves” are slightly too large so I had to wrap them about two times with electrical tape to get it to bite and hold.   

All that being said.   Does anyone know if their p127 is built the same way?   In general is this the quality control that is acceptable for a boat this price or am having unrealistic expectations with the industry or materials? 

Their customer care has been friendly and responsive but after spending over a year pulling the trigger and spending this much I wasnt expecting to have concerns like this until I started DIYing stuff lol. 

Thanks in advance!!!

I don't know anything about that brand, but here is my opinion (based mostly on what I see with Hobie kayaks).

1) They should be inside a plastic tube anywhere that they can rub on anything. You do not want cables to break while you are on the water.
2) and 3) Sounds like a lack of quality control.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

JMcKroid

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018

[/quote]

I don't know anything about that brand, but here is my opinion (based mostly on what I see with Hobie kayaks).

1) They should be inside a plastic tube anywhere that they can rub on anything. You do not want cables to break while you are on the water.
2) and 3) Sounds like a lack of quality control.
[/quote]

I fish on Hobies but won a Bonafide Kayak a few years back in a kayak fishing tournament.  I think it was an SS127?   The kayak cost significantly less than a comprable Hobie, and the level of quality reflected that.  I sold it brand new and never used,   I concur with the above comments. 

ekanjpn

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
Thanks!  Reached to them again with a handful of concerns.   Will see if it’s just poor engineering and design or a lack of execution on their build team.  I guess the system itself is simple enough I could retrofit it to my liking as a worst case just not too happy about it lol.