Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 03:03:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:09:20 PM]

[Today at 01:30:36 PM]

[Today at 12:55:58 PM]

[Today at 11:50:56 AM]

[Today at 11:20:29 AM]

[Today at 10:21:59 AM]

[Today at 10:03:44 AM]

[Today at 09:10:35 AM]

[Today at 08:10:12 AM]

[Today at 08:03:37 AM]

[Today at 06:34:21 AM]

[Today at 02:42:39 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:50:54 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:32:14 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 06:25:48 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 05:21:33 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 09:54:38 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:22:51 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:15:26 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: C14 Rudder  (Read 4083 times)

Rui

• Rui
  • Salmon
  • Rui
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Did anyone try to bounce ball or trolling dipxy on your eddyline? I have to paddle one side very hard in order to move straight.

I looked at the stern, it is narrow and there is a scupper hole on it. Any ideas how to mount a rudder in that area?

I am also researching the option of  gluing/attach a skeg on the bottom using this: https://www.amazon.com/Kayak-Tracking-Mounting-Points-Watershed/dp/B00X26NAB0/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=rudder+kayak&qid=1565800079&s=gateway&sr=8-17

But it may create some difficulty in the surf zone.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
i was pretty sure i saw a c14 with a rudder before...contact headwaters, they're a dealer and should know if it possible.  rudders are kinda hit and miss by brand.

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
My C14 has a rudder...

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016

I am also researching the option of  gluing/attach a skeg on the bottom using this: https://www.amazon.com/Kayak-Tracking-Mounting-Points-Watershed/dp/B00X26NAB0/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=rudder+kayak&qid=1565800079&s=gateway&sr=8-17

But it may create some difficulty in the surf zone.

Thanks for the idea Rui.   :smt006  I saw one of these recently, and the guy had drilled a hole in the back of the skeg and attached a rope that he ran out of the back of the kayak.  He did not use the housing screws on the skeg so he could simply pull the skeg out of the housing before beach landing, having it dangle behind him by the rope.  Not a bad system if set up correctly.  Launching may be challenging though unless you install it while wading in the surf zone, which sounds like a PITA to me. 

Rui

• Rui
  • Salmon
  • Rui
  • View Profile
My C14 has a rudder...

Yep my C14 too , however it was factory installed .

Mark L may have done his own installation, he's an Engineer by profession so I imagine it was something he could manage no problem LOL

Send him a PM

That's what he did with me , he wanted pics of the layout.

Mark is a good guy , I'm sure he'll be glad to give info on his install

And of course you can contact Eddyline directly to see if a kit is available .

Spiffy

Thanks for the info.  Do you still have the picture? I am open to DIY it  :smt006

Let me PM Mark to see if he has any suggestions.

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Hey Rui,

I had the same issue with trolling and thought about getting a peddle drive but the weight of them is an issue for me. I could not keep up with my friends that have them. I decided to install a Torqeedo kayak motor on my C14 so I could still have the light weight but be able to troll with ease.

In order to be able to steer I needed to install the foot controls and cable system that are available from eddyline directly. It was doable but a challenge because you are working in  barely accessible blind areas.  The stock rudder may be a insurmountable challenge because it requires a receiving pin that is most likely bonded in before the top and bottom of the kayak are glued together. You would probably need to to install an aftermarket top mount rudder. Headwaters is one of best at doing kayak modifications so you should ask them if could install a rudder system(if you are not up for the task).

I am not an engineer (I review engineered plans for a city) but if I was, I would tell you that if you add a rudder, the turning force (drag) will need to equal the drag of your trolling gear. So you will need to paddle hard on both sides instead of just one side. You could achieve the same effect by creating an equal drag of some sort on the opposite of your troll side. Another option would be to switch troll sides from time to time.

If you decide to go forward I am happy  to give you more detailed information on installing the foot controls and cable system. I will post a few pictures from my phone.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

Rui

• Rui
  • Salmon
  • Rui
  • View Profile
Thanks for the details!  I will consult headwater and eddyline before putting the rudder on. I also read the eddyline's article, looks like they recommend skeg over a steer rudder for the exactly drag reason you had.

Without the rudder, I found the best way to troll is to either point the rod tip to the head or the tail of the kayak to minimize the side drag. When using a downrigger, I just bring my Hobie outback :smt005

Speaking of peddle drive vs paddle, I feel outback is more tiring than the eddyline during a long day of trolling; plus the surf launch is much easier when fishing salmons here.

Hey Rui,

I had the same issue with trolling and thought about getting a peddle drive but the weight of them is an issue for me. I could not keep up with my friends that have them. I decided to install a Torqeedo kayak motor on my C14 so I could still have the light weight but be able to troll with ease.

In order to be able to steer I needed to install the foot controls and cable system that are available from eddyline directly. It was doable but a challenge because you are working in  barely accessible blind areas.  The stock rudder may be a insurmountable challenge because it requires a receiving pin that is most likely bonded in before the top and bottom of the kayak are glued together. You would probably need to to install an aftermarket top mount rudder. Headwaters is one of best at doing kayak modifications so you should ask them if could install a rudder system(if you are not up for the task).

I am not an engineer (I review engineered plans for a city) but if I was, I would tell you that if you add a rudder, the turning force (drag) will need to equal the drag of your trolling gear. So you will need to paddle hard on both sides instead of just one side. You could achieve the same effect by creating an equal drag of some sort on the opposite of your troll side. Another option would be to switch troll sides from time to time.

If you decide to go forward I am happy  to give you more detailed information on installing the foot controls and cable system. I will post a few pictures from my phone.

anything