Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:17:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:14:42 PM]

[Today at 10:48:03 PM]

[Today at 10:38:11 PM]

[Today at 09:22:16 PM]

[Today at 10:21:04 AM]

by Clb
[Today at 09:23:49 AM]

[Today at 07:12:15 AM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:33:15 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:29:46 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 04:56:39 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 12:06:29 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:37:45 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 11:20:54 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:41:33 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 07:13:03 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 10:29:52 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 09:32:27 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 09:08:12 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 07:00:12 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 06:57:59 AM]

[May 16, 2024, 08:43:30 PM]

[May 16, 2024, 06:11:52 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Self rescue practice in Alameda?  (Read 1951 times)

johnz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
So, any other flexible schedule folks interested in doing some self rescue practice at Encinal ramp in Alameda Thursday (2.10)  and Friday afternoons?  Going to be about 77 degrees both days, great conditions. I'll plan to be there both days from about 1:30-3:30. PM me if you'd like to come and join me.  I've got a new (to me) Revo 16 that I want to get familiar with.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

John
Hobie Revolution 16

johnz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Day one.  Took a long swim right before heading to do kayak self rescue, wanted to simulate being tired already from a long day in the water.  Went essentially with a bare boat except my drive, paddle and one fishing rod holder (to make it harder for me to get back in).  I wore my usual fishing outfit;  booties, farmer John wetsuit, wicking long sleeve shirt and spray jacket topped with my stohlquist fing PFD.  I did 20 flips, resting in the boat after each one to get my heart rate back down.  Lessons:

First flip, my drive fell right out and would have sunk without the leash.  I thought it was locked in, but it was not!

Playing around with the stability on my Revo 16, I found i could lean over quite a bit farther than I thought and still get back up.

Flipping the boat back upright was pretty easy. I found reaching under the boat and grabbing the far handle while pushing up the near handle easiest for me. Reaching over the top of the boat to the far handle seemed awkward.  Using the drive as a handle to get to the far side seemed awkward.

Getting back in the boat was harder than I remember doing this last time, but last time was like 5 years ago!  Getting my torso up onto the boat was ok. Swinging my legs around and then rotating back into my seat felt awkward.  Helped to rest a second after getting the torso up and concentrate on doing things slow and keeping center of gravity as low as possible when rotating the legs around.

Boat took on very little water from all this, maybe a cup or two.  No gear failures other than my bilge pump coming unstrapped from my hobie chair on my last roll, need better straps.

By my last couple rolls, I was getting pretty tired and hamstrings were getting crampy. I can see doing this on a windy chopping day could be challenging.  I'm 5'10" at 190# and work out regularly.  I don't think I'd personally feel too comfortable needing to do this at more weight or less conditioning.

I was also pretty cold despite the 77 degree temps and zero wind.  Was not expecting that, and I've got a very high tolerance for cold as a regular open water swimmer in the bay.  Even the two times I've flipped on beach launch for salmon, I still fished all day in the fog no problem. Hmmm.

I will repeat again tomorrow afternoon adding on my cooler (strapped down) with some load in it, and also my beach wheels, which fortunately I've figured out how to store in the forward hatch (huge in the revo 16).  I'll report back on that too.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 04:25:26 PM by johnz »
John
Hobie Revolution 16

Alan Matsuno

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
When I was Practicing Self Rescue, the park ranger “asked” me to stop..I think someone called 911 , Ranger Responded.

This happened two times, Santa Clara County.

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I can see that happening and always thought to have another boat or friend watching while you practice self rescue.
Good on you to practice on a new boat.
-Jason

johnz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Day two update.  Was pretty banged up from yesterday's practice but got out there anyway...77 degrees, what's my excuse?!

Loaded up the boat with my cooler (tied down, see photos), about 3 gallons of bottled water spread in different locations, my batter (for weight), and my beach wheels (stored inside hatch, see photos).  Center of gravity of everything intentionally kept low. After 30 years of sailboat racing and fishing offshore I've learned the hard way to keep things tucked away inside and to have a "clear deck".

I only did 5 flips today and reentrys. If anything, the boat seemed easier to flip upright than it did yesterday, but that's probably more related to me just figuring things out.  IMO, getting the boat back upright is easy...it's the getting back in the boat part that's hard!  Sitting in the water I did lots of righting the boat and then flipping it again from the water and repeating to make that muscle memory.

I tried to leverage what I learned yesterday about getting back in the boat. One step to get torso up (easier) and then pause and second step to get legs up, rotate and slide into the seat.  Still did not seem intuitive, but mentally I'm much more comfortable having practiced all this on the new boat.

Kayak surf class scheduled for next month!

John
Hobie Revolution 16

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I have capsized twice and have found it's much easier for me to re-enter from the rear tankwell. It's the lowest point in my Revo and doesn't flip on me each time I try to board. Then I stay low and slowly walk back up to my seat.
I can see it being difficult with the cooler in the back. I thought about carrying a paddle float in the future (when I'm less capable) as an alternative helping me board the way sit inside kayaker does it. Had a really difficult time getting back in a sit inside kayak.
-Jason

Otis

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2021
... If anything, the boat seemed easier to flip upright than it did yesterday, ...

Maybe it's the cooler. I am thinking if your cooler was empty it will be positive buoyant. Being trapped under the flipped kayak it will work to lift the kayak, and then to roll the kayak once off center. If the cooler was full of heavy stuff I think it would make the kayak harder to upright, maybe act like a keel trying to keep the kayak upside down.  :smt102

LingBling

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
Thanks for the summary. Good information we all need to head/practice for when it, inevitably, iWill be our turn…

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Nice work getting out there to practice. Everyone should do their self rescue drills.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

johnz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
... If anything, the boat seemed easier to flip upright than it did yesterday, ...

Maybe it's the cooler. I am thinking if your cooler was empty it will be positive buoyant. Being trapped under the flipped kayak it will work to lift the kayak, and then to roll the kayak once off center. If the cooler was full of heavy stuff I think it would make the kayak harder to upright, maybe act like a keel trying to keep the kayak upside down.  :smt102
I think you're right. I loaded it up with over a gallon of water, but that's still a lot of floatation. With the Bungie latch, it did not take on very much water.

John
Hobie Revolution 16

Ling A Ding

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
That's how I ended up with the 180 drive. I forgot the strape the old drive down.  Lesson learned the hard way. Let me know when you going out again next month.  I'd like to tag along and try the same.  It's been too many years.
Wilderness System Radar 135

johnz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
That's how I ended up with the 180 drive. I forgot the strape the old drive down.  Lesson learned the hard way. Let me know when you going out again next month.  I'd like to tag along and try the same.  It's been too many years.
Sounds good Herb!  Should be halibut around by then too.

John
Hobie Revolution 16

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Just opinions here

Most of the practicing people talk about here seems to be with an empty yak in calm water, so it’s good you’re practicing with your yak loaded the way it normally is. Maybe good to look at your setup and think what you can live without

I always thought I traveled light until coming in from fishing Muir I met a local who had one rod and one lure and no other gear He came in with dinner before I had my stuff loaded to leave

Things are also a lot different when you’re in rough water dealing with unpleasant realities that come with a capsize

Which is also why what you load onto your yak is important

Ive been considering getting a TI which is probably as roomy and stable as a yak gets, and if that happens I still will wont carry half what most people do

anything