Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 10:43:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:38:02 PM]

[Today at 10:07:55 PM]

[Today at 09:35:54 PM]

[Today at 09:13:54 PM]

[Today at 09:08:56 PM]

[Today at 08:43:02 PM]

[Today at 07:24:10 PM]

[Today at 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Scotty lake troller pulley design problem  (Read 2745 times)

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
I was really disappointed this week when 5 minutes into what would have been a stellar salmon action, the pulley in my Scotty Lake troller came off. The pulley is that round plastic thing at the end of the arm. Without it, you can’t use the downrigger. It wasn’t even 6am and I was so bummed!

I got a new Lake Troller today and realized that this pulley has a design problem. You can look at the photo for reference. It goes like this : the pulley sits inside a housing, and is connected to the housing with a screw and a nut. The screw runs through the center of the pulley, and there’s a groove in the outside of the housing for the nut. This groove allows the nut to be recessed, which is nice, and it also holds it so that you can tighten the screw without having to hold the nut. The pulley doesn’t spin on the screw. It spins on a bushing (basically a round collar made of plastic) that spins on the screw.

Now, Scotty makes an upgraded pulley for the more heavier DR models, and I got one, and took it apart. It’s the same as above, except that it has a metal bushing (not plastic), and you can really fasten the screw on it, and the pulley would still spin freely. However, the Lake Troller pulley would not spin if you tighten the pulley center screw. It would jam. So by design the screw has to be loose. And I know why my screw hasn’t come loose until now - because I’ve been using 4lb weight, but on the day it came off I was using 8lb. The 8lb pressure on the pulley created torque on the bushing, which in turn created spin on the screw, and since the nut was held fixed by the housing, the screw simply turned until it popped.

So now what? I don’t think leaving the center screw loose just to allow the pulley to spin is a bad idea. I’m going to get a stainless steel bushing long enough that I can tighten the center screw without jamming the pulley. I may also use grease in there to reduce the torque problem. Secondly, I’m going to replace the center screw with a longer one, and then use a solution to prevent the nut from coming out. This could be a nylon insert lock nut, two nuts compressed together, or whatever you folks thing works best.

On a positive note, my father in law heard about my tragic salmon fishing day and got me a nice present. See below.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 04:59:24 PM by li-orca »
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
You might want to consider the Scotty Depthmaster. It's pretty easy to modify it for a kayak, with the only tricky part being that you'll probably want to shorten the arm.

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
You might want to consider the Scotty Depthmaster. It's pretty easy to modify it for a kayak, with the only tricky part being that you'll probably want to shorten the arm.
The Scotty Depthmaster is a pretty good downrigger, but if you shorten its arm, the pulley will drop, and the downrigger cable will run across the rim of the cable reel.  Finding a way to shorten the arm of a Depthmaster so the downrigger cable feeds into the center of the cable reel is pretty challenging.  See the picture below, which shows how I did it.  Some Depthmaster owners have added a second pulley or a guide which bends the cable so it doesn't run across the rim of the cable reel.

I prefer the Cannon Lake Troll downrigger.  I think it's easier to crank because the axle of its cable reel is horizontal, its clutch provides excellent control over the descent of the downrigger weight, and the clutch is easier to operate than the brake handle-cable reel handle operation of the Depthmaster.  And shortening the arm of a Lake Troll is a simple ten minute job. For a description of how I set up my Revolution with a Cannon Lake Troll, see https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=12575.msg138905#msg138905.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 07:28:58 AM by pmmpete »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Finding a way to shorten the arm of a Depthmaster so the downrigger cable feeds into the center of the cable reel is pretty challenging. 

I rarely disagree with pmmpete, but I don't think it's difficult to shorten the depthmaster arm. I used a piece of 3/4" starboard plastic that I heated and bent. You could instead use 1/2" or probably even 3/8" starboard, and if you don't want to heat/bend it, you could bolt together a couple of pieces at a right angle.

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Finding a way to shorten the arm of a Depthmaster so the downrigger cable feeds into the center of the cable reel is pretty challenging. 

I rarely disagree with pmmpete, but I don't think it's difficult to shorten the depthmaster arm. I used a piece of 3/4" starboard plastic that I heated and bent. You could instead use 1/2" or probably even 3/8" starboard, and if you don't want to heat/bend it, you could bolt together a couple of pieces at a right angle.
Very nice job, NowhereMan!

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Lior, sorry to hear about your downrigger. That sucks and it's days like those that can haunt you.
I think the Lake Troller is recommended at no more than 4lbs of lead. I've never had a problem with either of mine. You might consider just carrying a spare in your hatch.

If you do decide to upgrade to something more sturdy, keep us posted. I was looking into it, but gave up, as I really like the simplicity of mounting the Lake Troller on a standard Scotty mount.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
id put some locktite on the threads and call it a day. been using mine with 4 lbs no issue. Checking the screws on things regularly is a good habit to form.
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Loctite or nylon lock nuts
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I'm interested in adding a second DR to 2nd kayak. What's unique about this model and benefit?
-Jason

Twopatch

• Salmon
  • I like my tea,in the harbor
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
It's a "real" downrigger. It's got a clutch. Counter. It handles 8#ers no problem. Probably up to 12. It's a complete 1 hand operation .
We have the government, that our forefathers warned us about.

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
It's a "real" downrigger. It's got a clutch. Counter. It handles 8#ers no problem. Probably up to 12. It's a complete 1 hand operation .

Thanks I just order one. Next is how to set this up on my Revo.

Sorry Lior for hijacking of this thread.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 03:00:26 AM by fishbushing »
-Jason

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Thanks for the comments folks. I looked at the Depthmaster and it’s a nice DR a for sure. Good features. Sturdier. I don’t mind the extra weight, but I’d need to think how it would work with my setup as I have my rod holder and DR mounts next to each other (their Scotty mounts are in my Revo 16 left pocket).
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
+1 to loctite.  You can also swap out the plastic bushing with a metal one.  Add a coating of Belray waterproof grease to the bolt while you're in there.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Would this fit on the aka bar? I'm thinking I could mount a Depthmaster on my aka.

https://scotty.com/product/no-1027-rail-mount/
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

LuiG

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I think the Lake Troller is recommended at no more than 4lbs of lead.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  Why do you need an 8# ball?  You are already getting superior depth control over a 40oz ball. You also have all the extra weight leveraging the gunwale of your boat creating stress and balance issues. My Revo is tippy enough, I don’t need to be giving Mr Jones any advantage.
Hobie Revo 13

anything