Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:40:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Noyo Harbor Kayak Fishing Tournament (Pacific Coast Outdoors)  (Read 5339 times)

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Call one of the sponsors. They have Old Town on the ad but not on the list. Lol. Totally legit. Maybe it’s total weight of three individual species. That’s how I ran Albion.

It definitely is billed as total weight of three species.  It’s not an uncommon format for an ocean tournament.  ORC ran a 4 species kill tournament earlier this month. You ran Albion like that.  There’s nothing wrong with the kill tournament.  Spear fishing tournaments aren’t catch and release, but nobody complains about those around here. 

This tournament is last minute, in NCKA’s territory where this forum is far and away the largest pool of potential participants, but nobody seems to know these folks.  They have an Instagram page and a store with a few clothing items, but there is an apparently much larger and unaffiliated outfit with the same name in Washington State.  There is a prize pool announced of $1750, which appears to be regardless of the number of entries.  Weigh ins are at a shop in town and not on the beach.

It may well be legit, but like I said there’s just enough that’s slightly off about this that I’d want someone I know to vouch for the organizers before I head down for this one.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Call one of the sponsors. They have Old Town on the ad but not on the list. Lol. Totally legit. Maybe it’s total weight of three individual species. That’s how I ran Albion.

It definitely is billed as total weight of three species.  It’s not an uncommon format for an ocean tournament.  ORC ran a 4 species kill tournament earlier this month. You ran Albion like that.  There’s nothing wrong with the kill tournament.  Spear fishing tournaments aren’t catch and release, but nobody complains about those around here. 

Exactly Doug. It felt sketch to me as well.

This tournament is last minute, in NCKA’s territory where this forum is far and away the largest pool of potential participants, but nobody seems to know these folks.  They have an Instagram page and a store with a few clothing items, but there is an apparently much larger and unaffiliated outfit with the same name in Washington State.  There is a prize pool announced of $1750, which appears to be regardless of the number of entries.  Weigh ins are at a shop in town and not on the beach.

It may well be legit, but like I said there’s just enough that’s slightly off about this that I’d want someone I know to vouch for the organizers before I head down for this one.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

dan916

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I’ll be up there a few days before it starts and will get more info. I’m not going to even get started with the catch and release vs kill to eat because I don’t want to hurt any of your feeling and it’s a waste of time.
Integrity first, Service before self and excellence in all we do.

All gave some, some gave all. You will never be forgotten!

OG TexaSteve

• Salmon
  • Fish on
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I can vouch for Epic Graphics and Noyo Kayak rentals as I've seen them on the north harbour for a at least 10 years. They are legit businesses. I've never been inside but they do exist and are definitely local. They are right next door to a Ca fish and wildlife office

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
yah, seems sketch, though maybe someone just trying to make some good happen.

The phone number does work (cell phone), though I got voice mail - I'll call again later today and leave a message if no one picks up.

@dan916 - agree - fish are delicious! :)

Tim in Albion

• Salmon
  • Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I can vouch for Epic Graphics and Noyo Kayak rentals as I've seen them on the north harbour for a at least 10 years. They are legit businesses. I've never been inside but they do exist and are definitely local. They are right next door to a Ca fish and wildlife office

Yes, the companies listed as sponsors are legit, but it's the company running the tournament that is mysterious. I had not heard of "Pacific Coast Outdoors" and cannot find anything about a business with that name in Fort Bragg. Even if I wanted to enter such a tournament, I'd be more than a little leery of giving them $50 without knowing more about them.

The larger issue is still the ethics of offering large cash prizes for keeping the largest fish. Someone with $1000 on their mind might make different decisions than someone just out to enjoy a day of fishing.

I believe we as sportsmen who feel some sense of stewardship for the resources we enjoy so much, should advocate for better practices.
Swell Scupper 14 in Great White (!)

Tim in Albion

• Salmon
  • Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018

I'm missing something. What "good" happens when people are offered significant amounts of cash to catch and keep the largest fish?

I thought we went fishing because we enjoyed the whole experience. Who needs a financial incentive to get out on the water and drop a line?
Swell Scupper 14 in Great White (!)

Dogwood

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
called the phone number given on the announcement for the tournament. Still have not received any return calls. Trying to decide whether or not to go.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I totally agree with Tim. I thought we here on NCKA were stewards of the fishing community ? No one is advocating that people our not allowed their limit of fish on a personal level.

But there has to be a better way to hold a tournament with less of a footprint.

I correct myself as i shouldn't speak for NCKA as a whole.

Honestly believe it is a worthy discussion for some of the sites we hold dear. Albion, shelter cove and places we cherish.

Alex
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 11:49:10 AM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I'm a fan of CPR tourneys for the reason echoed, I don't always release, but it's nice to have that option when you want too.  But it's not as easy as just weighing fish in the end and seeing who came out on top.  It definitely adds some difficulty to the hosts of a tournament to validate pictures, needing to hand out something unique to put in the pictures so you know they are not cheating, and can be a pain in the sunlight to view, etc.  Many tournaments have this format, your choice to go or not. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Eventbrite ... https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pacific-coast-outdoors-ocean-kayak-fishing-tournament-tickets-164031744363

About this event
PCO is proud to present our 1st Annual Ocean Kayak Fishing Tournament.

Launch times begin at 8am. Weigh- In begins at 2 pm.

Launching and weigh-ins will be done at 32350 N. Harbor Drive Fort Bragg, CA.

For additional information contact Dwight at 707-357-3650.

Thank you to our sponsors :

Epic Graphics

Kayak Noyo

Noyo Fish Company

Family Tree Service, Inc.

Fort Bragg Diesel

Raudio Embroidery

State Farm Jason Cimolino

Pacific Coast Outdoors is just some guy's blog on facebook and instagram.  His name is Dwight Raudio.

-Allen

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

I'm missing something. What "good" happens when people are offered significant amounts of cash to catch and keep the largest fish?

I thought we went fishing because we enjoyed the whole experience. Who needs a financial incentive to get out on the water and drop a line?

That's fine if tournaments aren't your jam, but a lot of us do enjoy the tournament atmosphere.  I'd say that the good that comes out of ocean fishing tournaments are lifelong friendships and a place/reason/excuse to gather around good food, good friends and great times.

Of course there are multiple formats for fishing tournaments, but kill tournaments are still very popular and there is no shame in holding or participating in them.  They aren't illegal, hell they aren't even regulated and don't require a permit in salt water.

This idea that NCKA is some sort of beacon of catch and release ethical fishing is pretty obnoxious.  It's the ocean.  We catch fish, keep fish, and eat fish.  We like to hang out with our friends who do the same thing.  We follow all the rules and regulations and call out people who don't.  But we don't impose on others some sanctimonious crap about the resource and try to guilt trip folks into some unwritten set of approved conduct.  If you don't like the tournament format, don't go.  Or do.  I don't care.  There have been many dozens of tournaments announced here over the years and attended by many of the folks on this site.  Some of them are kill tournaments.  Some of them are spear fishing tournaments.  We kill fish, we eat fish, and we hang out and talk about killing and eating fish over a campfire and a cold beer.  It's a lot of fun.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Dogwood

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
If you think tournaments are chaotic at Albion, just imagine how chaotic it will be on the dead end Harbor Drive at weigh in time (2 pm) with all the other weekend traffic from vacationers and fire & heat refugees. 

dan916

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
It will be a fun time watching all the craziness! I’ll be in no hurry and if I get off the water early I can just go back to my house and clean up then walk the 8 min back down there lol. Make it nice having a home close to the harbor!
Integrity first, Service before self and excellence in all we do.

All gave some, some gave all. You will never be forgotten!

anything