Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:03:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Noyo Harbor Kayak Fishing Tournament (Pacific Coast Outdoors)  (Read 5341 times)

OG TexaSteve

• Salmon
  • Fish on
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
August 7, 2021
I saw this post today on IG shared by a local kayak fisherman I met fishing out of Noyo (Josue), this is the first time I've seen this, anyone else heard about it? Good prize money up for grabs!! Wish I could make it..

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Damn.... looks nice 👍
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
just tried calling the number, got a cell phone voice mail- couldn't find any additional information on the sponsor web pages - looks pretty cool though - good excuse to fish that area

Dogwood

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Would like to attend this tournament. Could not find then on the website. Any advice.

Michael_Alive

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
I left a comment, so we will see if he responds.

I was considering reaching out to see if there could be a partnership with any local shelters or food banks. Personally, I wouldn’t need 20lbs of rockfish filets in my freezer after the tourney (where am I gonna keep my ice cream, err …salmon and vegetables). I’ve seen something similar done with Philosophy D on YouTube in SF, but I was wondering what other fisherman think. Would you want to take home all your fish, or does a big fish fry or giveaway seem feasible given the short notice? Think out loud!

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
So, can you weigh in 1 ling, 1 cab, and 1 rockfish?
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Tim in Albion

• Salmon
  • Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Aren't these "biggest fish, biggest pile of game" contests kind of a relic of the 19th century? We should be returning the biggest rockfish and Lings, since we know those are the most prolific breeding females. Nobody should be encouraged to kill a bunch of big fish just to win a prize.
Swell Scupper 14 in Great White (!)

OG TexaSteve

• Salmon
  • Fish on
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I left a comment, so we will see if he responds.

I was considering reaching out to see if there could be a partnership with any local shelters or food banks. Personally, I wouldn’t need 20lbs of rockfish filets in my freezer after the tourney (where am I gonna keep my ice cream, err …salmon and vegetables). I’ve seen something similar done with Philosophy D on YouTube in SF, but I was wondering what other fisherman think. Would you want to take home all your fish, or does a big fish fry or giveaway seem feasible given the short notice? Think out loud!
This depends on the status of my freezer. At the moment, that much rockfish sounds great to me because I'm down to my last package of bronze rf. I like the idea of donations to a shelter and a big fry fest. With the short notice  of this event and the current pandemic situation, I doubt the numbers of registrants would be very large.
Although I have seen what happens to the fish population around the cove after the Albion Open. It's a good thing that tournaments like this aren't planned more than once or twice a year. I agree with Tim and respect his sentiment.
This flyer coming out on the 21st of July for a tournament scheduled for Aug. 7, and no other info posted anywhere is a bit odd.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Aren't these "biggest fish, biggest pile of game" contests kind of a relic of the 19th century? We should be returning the biggest rockfish and Lings, since we know those are the most prolific breeding females. Nobody should be encouraged to kill a bunch of big fish just to win a prize.

In tournament situations .I totally agree.  I personally think the fish species should be narrowed and even to photo and release if possible.

We as stewards of the sport should be able to come up with better ideas to lesson our footprint in these tournaments. Just my 2 cents. I mean its more about the comradery for me. I really miss the days of when it was more just fish and chills.

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Good point.  Also gives me a good excuse and an opening to tell a fishing lie about the one I threw back.

dan916

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I might give it a go. I’ll already be up there for a week and was already planning on going out fishing on the 7th so why not give it a try. Below is the link with all the information….

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pacific-coast-outdoors-ocean-kayak-fishing-tournament-tickets-164031744363?aff=efbneb
Integrity first, Service before self and excellence in all we do.

All gave some, some gave all. You will never be forgotten!

Tim in Albion

• Salmon
  • Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
This is kind of odd. "Pacific Coast Outdoors" doesn't appear to have any local connection - they are a tackle manufacturer/dealer and apparently a guide-booking service, based in Washington state. Do they organize fishing tournaments like this regularly? It seems odd they would be running one in a remote spot like Noyo.

I like Alex's suggestion. We should be promoting better ways of fishing more responsibly. People like competitions and there has to be a way to structure one that doesn't offer an incentive for unsportsmanlike behavior.
Swell Scupper 14 in Great White (!)

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
This is kind of odd. "Pacific Coast Outdoors" doesn't appear to have any local connection - they are a tackle manufacturer/dealer and apparently a guide-booking service, based in Washington state.

Best I can tell, this tourney is being held by a different "Pacific Coast Outdoors" (out of Fort Bragg).  Kind of confusing, you would think they would pick a name that isn't being used already...  It seems to me like this PCO just sells T-shirts and hats on social media. 

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Does anyone know the organizers and can anyone vouch for them?

There’s enough here that seems just slightly off.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:27:35 PM by crash »
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
 Call one of the sponsors. They have Old Town on the ad but not on the list. Lol. Totally legit. Maybe it’s total weight of three individual species. That’s how I ran Albion.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost