Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:25:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie Turbo Fin Mast Snapped  (Read 2943 times)

cookiemonster

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
Last outing one of the masts snapped on the mirage drive, rendering the fin completely useless.

Has this happened to anyone before? I tried to search around the forums but didn't find much. Adam, does MBK have replacements on hand (I believe non-threaded)?

Replacing the mast seems pretty straight forward, it's getting the small snapped piece out of the drive that seems like it will be a pain in the butt. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of hammering a tap into it and trying to somehow twist it out (even though it is not threaded) Any input is greatly appreciated

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Maybe break down that piece ... fixture it in a vise, drill, tap a bolt in, extract it.

Or maybe drill, JB weld a bolt in and extract it out.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:22:46 PM by SlackedTide »
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
not exactly same, but similar.  I had the older model turbo fins where the fin mast was inserted into the drive and fastened via set screw.  kept coming loose, with no on the water remedy. 

wonder if hobie contemplates the failure mode u experiencd.  IME, their customer support was pretty decent, perhaps give em a call?

good luck n sorry to hear that you're sidelined w that

IdleFishing

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I’ve replaced mines a few times because of the same issues. Each time I was able to get the broken piece out by using a magnet, the kind to pick up bolts when you drop them in the engine bay of the your car. Otherwise drill and tap could work too.
Yao

Mango Hobie Adventure Island
Red Hobie Revolution 13
Yellow Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
At least it is an older model and you can work on it. On my fins, they were getting bent a lot so I just bought new rods and installed them. Heated the old ones up and straightened them out and let them cool so they wouldn't get brittle
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Can you remove the set screw and stick something like an eyeglass screwdriver through the hole and pry it out?
<=>

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
From what I can tell by browsing the Hobie forum, this does not seem to be a common problem. The only discussion I could find involved the older style that used the set screw.

I've bent my masts pretty severely a few times, and the straightening and re-straightening does not seem to created any problems, which makes me think they should be pretty robust.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Alternatively, you can buy a new part from Hobie.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

cookiemonster

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!

I’ve replaced mines a few times because of the same issues. Each time I was able to get the broken piece out by using a magnet, the kind to pick up bolts when you drop them in the engine bay of the your car. Otherwise drill and tap could work too.

Can you remove the set screw and stick something like an eyeglass screwdriver through the hole and pry it out?

I just did a combination of this (pushing the broken piece through the limit screw hole), and then using a magnet to coax it out enough for me to use pliers (thank gosh I went through a weird phase of being into neodymium magnets as a kid).

cookiemonster

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Alternatively, you can buy a new part from Hobie.

Funny enough, for some reason I immediately went to the extreme and just thought about buying a nice paddle kayak to simplify everything

cookiemonster

• Salmon
  • View Profile
On another note, does anyone else experience this screw unthreading itself while pedaling? On the water the mirage drive develops some play, and it ends up being that the screw has backed itself up so much that the drive wobbles side to side during pedaling. I use to have to finger tighten it to get back before I started packing an allen key with me.

I have since dripped some lube between the allen key head and plastic knob to mitigate any friction during pedaling, and that seems to work okay.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Yer Hobie must be pre 2008 if you have the twistlocks, so the fin mast snapping on a V1 drive isn't that shocking.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

cookiemonster

• Salmon
  • View Profile

jremi

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I see you broke your back mast, if you didn't hit anything or do anything to directly damage the back one I would strongly suggest you to replace the front as well. Broke my back one first this year then ~4/5 trips later broke the front one.
olive revo13 + red sweatshirt

cookiemonster

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Good call jremi, I was wondering if I should pick up a backup one while I'm at it. Yeah I was just cruising in open water and suddenly lost power, so who knows if the front one is a ticking time bomb as well