Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:40:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 04:06:09 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: [FAIL] $0.56 Hobie V2 Mirage drive chain repair?  (Read 4020 times)

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
https://www.e-rigging.com/quarter-inch-x-two-and-three-quarter-inch-stainless-eye-eye-turnbuckle

Bingo! Thanks.

It turns out that shipping is $11.50 for a $4.50 part. Have to look around some more, but that looks like it should work...

All good !🤙
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
That’s half the price for a new chain set lol... the price of hardware is ridiculous

https://www.e-rigging.com/quarter-inch-x-two-and-three-quarters-inch-stainless-jaw-eye-turnbuckle

https://www.e-rigging.com/quarter-inch-x-two-and-three-quarter-inch-stainless-eye-eye-turnbuckle

Maybe 2 of these, and you’ll get 2 sets...

Added bonus is these are 316 stainless vs the 303 stainless amazon ones.  Definitely go 316 where you can.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I tried this out at the Santa Cruz harbor this morning, and it was a complete fail. The lines became slack, and it was impossible to pedal. The rope is essentially no-stretch, so I think what happened is that the the knots cinched tighter when they got wet, and that created more than enough slack to make it fail. Fortunately, I have a spare mirage drive, so I was still able to get on the water and had a nice day fishing.

I'm not giving up, even though it is, for now, a fail...

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 03:02:36 PM by NowhereMan »
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Win some and loose some, but still being able to fish = winner imho  :smt003
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Bring extra rope with you, so if it breaks out at sea, you can e.z. fix, make it back in.

bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I tried this out at the Santa Cruz harbor this morning, and it was a complete fail. The lines became slack, and it was impossible to pedal. The rope is essentially no-stretch, so I think what happened is that the the knots cinched tighter when they got wet, and that created more than enough slack to make it fail. Fortunately, I have a spare mirage drive, so I was still able to get on the water and had a nice day fishing.

That's a tough nut you are trying to crack. Maybe slip the rope into a flexible tube covering that the material it is made of has "surface" grab. You have to be really spot on with the tightness the way I see you going to maintain friction.I personally think Hobie could have designed the drive with chain all the way by putting teeth into drive surface instead of just flat.
Charles

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I personally think Hobie could have designed the drive with chain all the way by putting teeth into drive surface instead of just flat.

I agree. The chain itself looks to be pretty cheap
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Roller-Chain-Connecting/dp/B06XXVBJV5/
so maybe there is a way to directly attach the chain, without any cable. I might have an idea worth trying...

charles

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I wonder if one could insert the chain into tight fitting flexible tubing and run it over the surface the cables travel. Tubing would provide "grab" and protect the under drive surface from abrasion as does coated cable with proper tension. Might be able to use existing tension fittings if a way to attach chain to them can be found.
Charles

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I wonder if one could insert the chain into tight fitting flexible tubing and run it over the surface the cables travel. Tubing would provide "grab" and protect the under drive surface from abrasion as does coated cable with proper tension. Might be able to use existing tension fittings if a way to attach chain to them can be found.

The sprocket that the chain drives is 90 degrees to the "bend" in the cable, so it would not be possible for the chain to bend in the same way as the cable. But, it looks like it would be easy to attach the chain at a point where it would not need to bend in the "wrong" direction. The problem would be coming up with a system that allows fine adjustments in the tension. But, maybe that's not necessary if it's a chain-only system, as here would be no stretch. Of course, then it would all have to be aligned perfectly to start with, which could be difficult.

I upgraded to GT drives and I still have the old non-GT V2 drums, so maybe I'll so some experimenting with those...

• Dave The SynthGuy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I had a V2 drive chain break for the first time this last week while on Humboldt Bay.  Luckily it failed shortly after we put in and I was able to paddle to shore without too much fighting the tide/current. I put a lot of time on this drive so it was no surprise and it had developed a mysterious "click" that I couldn't trace.  I do inspect the drive after every use.

I live close to the bay and have two more drives so I drove home for a spare while my buddy watched my gear.  That evening I got a replacement chain from Pacific Outfitters in Eureka and by the next morning I had the repair done.  I took it to Big Lagoon for a test and all went well, no click, and I even caught/released a couple of 14" trout.  :smt003

That bungee fix is interesting.  For me, I think I will build a spare parts kit, and on certain trips (guided trips or trips more than 1 hour away) I will pack a spare drive.  :smt006

Detonate the reality bomb.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
… I put a lot of time on this drive ….

Me too. I’ve been pedaling a Hobie since 2013 and I pedal the vast majority of the time I’m on the water. And I’ve got turbo fins which puts more stress on everything. This is the first drive cable that I’ve broken, so I can’t complain.

I also carry my spare mirage drive in the front hatch of my AI/Revo 16. It’s a bit tricky to get it to fit in there.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 12:36:03 PM by NowhereMan »

charles

• Salmon
  • View Profile
2012 for my Hobie. lotta time on the drive and two busted cables over the years. Tight fit to get a drive in front hatch. If I took a spare I'd lash it in the fish hold behind the seat. One can get at it on the water there. No outriggers for the Adventure so squirming up to the front hatch and messing around is iffy for me.
Charles

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
To get the mirage drive to fit in the front hatch, I had to use detachable pedals, like these

https://www.amazon.com/MKS-Quick-Release-Removable-Pedals/dp/B00DDCDSP6

On the AI, I figure if it’s too sporty to access the front hatch, there is most likely enough wind that I can sail without pedals. And I’ve never found any other use for that space.

charles

• Salmon
  • View Profile
OK. Got it. I use clip in mtb bike pedals, also detachable but front hatch has transducer/battery/cables all living together spaciously. A new neighbor, a drive, might cause over crowding resentments.
Charles

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

Maybe a cable

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News