Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:19:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:02:25 PM]

[Today at 12:59:07 PM]

[Today at 12:17:38 PM]

[Today at 11:33:18 AM]

[Today at 11:16:20 AM]

[Today at 09:54:38 AM]

[Today at 09:10:22 AM]

[Today at 08:22:51 AM]

[Today at 07:15:26 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:53:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 03:08:35 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 02:48:07 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:34:21 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 08:13:57 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 09:13:28 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:34:13 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 08:03:44 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 2019 Hobie Compass seat padeye stripped  (Read 3367 times)

humuhumu

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2019
I have a 2019 Hobie compass and while trolling on the bay for halibut, the right side seat padeye pulled out and I limped back to the ramp.  I screwed it back in and it looked okay. On my next outing, after 5 pedals, it pulled out again.  Has anyone experience this on their Compass kayak?  Does anyone have a fix for it?  I contacted Hobie and have not heard back from them yet.  Need to fix it so I can FISH!

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Don't call Hobie. Bring it to CCK if you are the original owner and have them help you file the claim it's much faster. Warranty is like up to two years from date of purchase. Good luck!
-Jason

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Those pad eyes are often under a lot of stress, especially on an AI, and I’ve never had one pull out. They should be rock solid. If the molded-in threads and the threads on the pad eyes look OK, the only thing I can think of is that it might have gotten cross-threaded.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

humuhumu

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I found the same info on line as well.  I am talking to CCK about getting it repaired and they contacted Hobie for a warranty repair..  CCK did not know about the tool either and I sent them the info and hope to hear back from them soon.

Thanks for your comments.

humuhumu

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Contacted CCK and they put a warranty repair in for it, but I have not heard from hobie for 3 weeks.  You would think if hobie knew this was a problem that every major hobie dealer would have the tapping tool to repair the problem and not pay $45 to get the tool and then return the tool.  I couldn't wait any longer so I made a repair suggested by Kurt (pigcoke).  I believe this is a design issue based on the direction of the forces being applied by the seat straps and a threaded plastic perpendicular padeye thread.  For a kayak that cost $2500, you would think hobie would have designed a better seat attachment as it is a safety issue: 1) you could lose your seat if you flipped or 2) out 5 - 10 miles and the padeye or clip breaks and try to use your pedal drive to return - no back support.  For an expensive product, I give Hobie's customer service a 2 out of 10. A 2 as the kayak has a 3 yr. warranty.

Time to get back on the water and FISH!

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
    Epoxy the thing back in...     JB Weld.     
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
Contacted CCK and they put a warranty repair in for it, but I have not heard from hobie for 3 weeks.  You would think if hobie knew this was a problem that every major hobie dealer would have the tapping tool to repair the problem and not pay $45 to get the tool and then return the tool.  I couldn't wait any longer so I made a repair suggested by Kurt (pigcoke).  I believe this is a design issue based on the direction of the forces being applied by the seat straps and a threaded plastic perpendicular padeye thread.  For a kayak that cost $2500, you would think hobie would have designed a better seat attachment as it is a safety issue: 1) you could lose your seat if you flipped or 2) out 5 - 10 miles and the padeye or clip breaks and try to use your pedal drive to return - no back support.  For an expensive product, I give Hobie's customer service a 2 out of 10. A 2 as the kayak has a 3 yr. warranty.

Time to get back on the water and FISH!

why do you need two attachment points?  and can you also give me some details about that cool handle you attached?  that looks like it solves a lot of compliants i have about the Compass.