Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:20:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trolling to your dive spot  (Read 2898 times)

kodama

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I was wondering if any of you troll a line while cruising to your dive spot.? It seems to me that it might be worthwhile since you might get lucky.
If so how do you go about it? What species are you targeting?
Looking forward to learn from your experience.

edited: trawling - trolling
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 11:24:36 AM by kodama »

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Trawling vs Trolling:

"The basic difference between these two similar terms is that trawling involves a net and is typically done for commercial fishing purposes, while trolling involves a rod, reel, and a bait or lure," and is typically done by recreational fishermen."

Trolling on your way to your dive spot should definitely increase your chances of catching, but it also complicates things on a trip where you're focused on an entirely different activity.  I think that unless you have all of your dive stuff and kayaking gear streamlined where you're totally in tune with what you need and how you execute your dive, bringing hook and line gear is potentially going to cause problems like gear loss or even hazards like hooks, line and net being in the way of the other activity.

That said, I'd consider just trolling a swimbait or a basic lure like a WMA.

Pros though could be ease of retrieving snags and that you may just switch over and do all hook and line fishing for the day if the water's not clear.

Good luck.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Makes since... I’m going to start free diving again, and while I’m doing it, concentrate (only) on it-adding more fishing gear into the mix would just FUBAR me LoL

Thx... Happy Turkey Day Brudda  :smt006
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

kodama

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Trawling vs Trolling:

"The basic difference between these two similar terms is that trawling involves a net and is typically done for commercial fishing purposes, while trolling involves a rod, reel, and a bait or lure," and is typically done by recreational fishermen."

Trolling on your way to your dive spot should definitely increase your chances of catching, but it also complicates things on a trip where you're focused on an entirely different activity.  I think that unless you have all of your dive stuff and kayaking gear streamlined where you're totally in tune with what you need and how you execute your dive, bringing hook and line gear is potentially going to cause problems like gear loss or even hazards like hooks, line and net being in the way of the other activity.

That said, I'd consider just trolling a swimbait or a basic lure like a WMA.

Pros though could be ease of retrieving snags and that you may just switch over and do all hook and line fishing for the day if the water's not clear.

Good luck.   :smt001

Thank you for the clarification! My bad since I am not a native English speaker. Actually my original message and title said 'trolling' I edited it later since I was mistakingly thinking it referred to trolls and trolling as in those annoying people trying to evoke meaningless discussions. Edited once more.

thanks for the tackle tips. I am quite comfortable with all my equipment and don't think the extra rod will be much of a hassle to me but I can see it could be for less experienced divers.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 11:25:17 AM by kodama »

prokhk

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Most people troll for salmon/ halibut, and most times spearfishing is done in areas where finding those fish is unlikely. I guess it might still be possible if it's in season but does not seem like it's worth the hassle, especially considering how much gear is needed to properly land a salmon. Trolling for rockfish/lingcod could work, but IMO it's easier to just shoot them anyway where you can be selective about the ones you want to keep. I have occasionally brought a rod with me to drift for lings and rockfish if the vis is bad or if I want a break from diving, but don't ever troll. How long do you usually paddle to your dive spots?

kodama

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
What you say makes sense. I guess trolling is only worthwhile when you tend to go far and paddle for a while. Trolling for halibut might be an option when you are crossing patches of sand that I don't enjoy spearfishing.

My paddle times range from 10 minutes to over an hour depending what area I like to explore. I am new to the region and although I have plenty of experience spearfishing in different parts of the world the Californian coast is relatively new to me but I am eager to explore and adapt to my new environment.

Line fishing during a break on a long day out might be an option too, gives you something to do while drinking hot tea to warm up. I guess i just have to get out there and try it out, see how I like bringing the line with me if I keep the setup as minimalistic as possible.

So far I have only trolled for king salmon from a boat out of Tomales Bay, that was years ago, some amazing memories...

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Another issue with trolling is how much it may slow up your arrival at your diving area.  If it takes an hour for you to get to your diving area if you pedal or paddle at 3.5-4 miles an hour, it may take two hours to get there if you troll at half that speed.  I used to troll when going to areas where I was going to jig, but quit trolling because the best jigging for the species I was after is often in the hours right after sunrise, and trolling while going to my jigging area used up some of those hot hours.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
For me it was always one or the other.
TMS ( Too Much S#!T ) is never a good time for me.
The last thing I need is my fishing gear in the way of my diving gear and visa versa.
Also, like pmmpete brought up, why waste time getting to the dive spot?
If you look at the very bottom of all my posts you will see <=>. Less equals more.
The less clutter and crap on my kayak the more enjoyable the outing.
<=>

kodama

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
That is another good point. Considering all the above it seems like it is only worthwhile if the fishing trip specifically has the purpose of doing both spearfishing and line fishing and should be planned accordingly.
So unless I am planning to spend the whole day out it doesn’t seem worth the extra effort.

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
For most of my years on the water my yak had two guns and a stubby rod and most days I used both. Cobra Kayaks named a yak in my honor,  the Fish n Dive

Health issues took free diving away and I miss the hell out of it But if I had it in me I’d go back to plan A in a heartbeat

Makes for a very fine day

Yakal

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
I'm either fishing or spearing never both. The added weight, slower to destination, less mental prep to do something that is already kinda dangerous, all lead me to just do one or the other. I will say I've lost gear to the ocean while leaving the kayak unattended on the surface as well (this was a 40 min scuba dive).  Also came back a few time to find the yak flipped (sea lion is my guess).

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
I always loved both so that’s what I did, neither is a waste of time Most days I did both and took home a lot more food, really too much which I farmed out to a list of friends and coworkers

Take only the gear you need, and stow everything. The heaviest thing on my yak was a weight belt, the rest was a little tackle container with a few jigs and the two guns and stubby rod and a can of Coca-Cola

Most yaks I see go the opposite way like theyre trying to cover every imaginable contingency and everything set up for a yard sale

Fishing and diving the same day is a great way to go

Nothing complicated about it if you travel light
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 01:47:45 PM by bluekayak »