Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:14:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: H-Rail rear on outback  (Read 3818 times)

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
So on my new body (2019) outback I致e been making changes as I go to make it more of what I want in a kayak. Here痴 my latest thought.....

The bungees in the rear are terrible in every way. I took out the one covering the cargo area. I took out the ones to keep your tackle boxes in place and the ones to hold them down.

Now I plan on replacing the rear bungee area with H Rail to match the front. Has anyone done this? I found the parts online and it looks very straight forward.

Any thoughts?
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Herb Superb

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
I actually just did mine last night. I changed it for the purpose of an extra handle when moving the kayak around. The one on ACK was backordered so I got mine from amazon instead. So far I like it. Looks easier to reach for Plano containers than getting them from inside the crate. When you install them, you don稚 need to remove the whole unit. You can just remove the main bolt and two screws next to it and lift each side slightly. Hope that helps.

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Awesome! I was thinking it might work as an extra handle too. Did you take any pics of the finished product?
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Herb Superb

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
Here you go John
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 01:19:56 AM by Herb Superb »

Fishgr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I値l be doing the same upgrade in a few weeks when I get the parts (hella back ordered). Also hoping someone figures out how to mount wheels tonthe rear H-rails someday!
Hobie Outback 2021
OK T13

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Strongly recommended, installation is easy peasy.  Hobie recommends re-outfitting the tackle box bungee, but I didnt, just too lazy. I also took out the rear cargo holder bungee, no use for me.  Space is better off for crab traps and such.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Fishgr

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Strongly recommended, installation is easy peasy.  Hobie recommends re-outfitting the tackle box bungee, but I didnt, just too lazy. I also took out the rear cargo holder bungee, no use for me.  Space is better off for crab traps and such.

I知 still getting used to the weight of this big boat, especially on boat ramps, with wheels. Going to try figuring out the hobie cart bungee trick, using the tank well bungees. If that is less than desirable, I値l prolly remove those as well. Getting this thing off the water has been a larger struggle than I foresaw!
Hobie Outback 2021
OK T13

BsHawk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
I値l be doing the same upgrade in a few weeks when I get the parts (hella back ordered). Also hoping someone figures out how to mount wheels tonthe rear H-rails someday!

Is this what you are referring to?  I just happened to see this yesterday.

2020 Hobie Outback Camo

Fishgr

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Yup. But I havent seen this specific video. I値l continue trying to learn how to do the hobie cart scupper bungee trick,...but man, I usually have issues on a steep or unimproved boat ramp, getting the fully loaded boat on the cart. I usually resort to offloading a buncha junk, tippin it, scuppering the cart and reloading, then haul up hill to truck. Would be nice to use that rear h rail, or even possibly the upgraded tankwell hrails, used for some wheel solution. I値l get in my groove soon enough, but just havent found a reliable method yet.
Hobie Outback 2021
OK T13

BsHawk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020

Yup. But I havent seen this specific video. I値l continue trying to learn how to do the hobie cart scupper bungee trick,...but man, I usually have issues on a steep or unimproved boat ramp, getting the fully loaded boat on the cart. I usually resort to offloading a buncha junk, tippin it, scuppering the cart and reloading, then haul up hill to truck. Would be nice to use that rear h rail, or even possibly the upgraded tankwell hrails, used for some wheel solution. I値l get in my groove soon enough, but just havent found a reliable method yet.

I made the bungee mod on my scupper cart and use it consistently on my all of my outings.  I had to make several attempts on getting it to work right.  First you have to find the right diameter elastic cord and length that works for your setup.  Once I feed both ends down the scupper holes, I connect each end to the cart.  I pull the loop end and attach it to a carabiner which puts tension on the bungee.  That is where the tension and elasticity of the bungee needs to be just right.  Not too much and not too little.  I do this so that I don't have to hold onto the bungee and can focus on just lifting the rear of the kayak by the rear h-bar.  I leave all of my gear in the kayak when doing so.  The one thing that helps is when using this system, I point my kayak towards the water and stand on the ramp/land side which naturally puts you higher than the kayak.  This way I don't have to lift the kayak as high.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.
2020 Hobie Outback Camo

Rotorhead

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2018
Mariner Sails (www.mariner-sails.com), has the rear H rail kits in stock.  Order mine and received it in less than a week.

Markus
2020 Hobie Outback