Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:31:45 PM]

[Today at 01:27:07 PM]

[Today at 08:28:43 AM]

[Today at 08:05:07 AM]

[Today at 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Anouther AI on site  (Read 6997 times)

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Scott I am working on a rod holder system myself I got it complete just need to go out and test it. I also got the FF installed, I mounted the battery and the transducer in the vary back trying to keep the bow as light as possible. I think I am just going with two rod holders behind the seat none in front. So far I have installed two rod holders and a fish finder and I have only drilled 1 hole for the wiring, I will post pics when I test it on the water :smt006.

Pat R

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Pat,
Thanks for sharing the photos of your new ride. Besides having a new rudder, do you know what other differences are in the 2012 model? I went to the Hobie site but none of their pictures show the new model. I'm thinking seriously about either an Adventure or and AI.

Scott,
Save that hole saw. I might need it  :smt003

thx,
ernest

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Lucky13 the only deference I see is more flotation in side the hull, inserts in the rear scuffer holes to protect it from the Hobie carts and they change the seat posts they put inserts in them also. I think the Adventure went through a face lift in 2011 I think. If you need some pics let me know.

Pat R
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 08:54:05 PM by Pat R. »

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
As I understand, the AKA bars were changed in 2011 and the hull was reinforced to accept the 2012 rudder. In 2012, the rudder was changed. My beef with Hobie is their lack of transparency of the upgrades and the lack of response to e mails to them.  :smt013
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I have the 2011 model. It came with the twist and stow. Hobie then sent me the new (sharkfin rudder) for free. I have not installed it yet.

My twist and stow is working fine as long as the elastic cord is hooked to the rudder. Works fine under speed/load. I still grind it on the bottom every once in awhile but it still has a nice edge and works well now that I'm used to dealing with it.

I think the biggest problem with the twist and stow design was some people were busting rudder pins under hard sailing conditions.

I believe you can have that new rudder positioned strait out (back) instead of up. You would need to make sure the cockpit controls are set correctly and tight though (I could be wrong...check w/2012 owners first).

Like Mistralwind....  I also have the new sailing rudder that Hobie sent me, but I'm stubbornly holding off on the upgrade installation until I really feel the need.  I'm convinced beefy new rudder is a better match for the AI, but I still like the lighter weight and portability of the twist-n-stow rudder.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
ChuckE

It would be nice to gather in the late summer for the WSB run in Monterey Bay. I definitely want to try for them this year (never caught one). We could really fan out and cover some water with 10 or 15 boats. Plus, there seems to be some knowledgeable WSB fisherman here with AI's.

In the meantime, maybe a sailing/fishing BBQ at San Luis Reservoir/the Berry or Tiburon???  I'm just wondering if the striper fishing is good enough at San Luis. Never fished it.

It's so hard to get everyone on the same page for a gathering. You got the Bay Area group, Inland group and Santa Cruz/Monterey group....

Be a helluva photo op if it could ever be pulled off though!
MistralWind... you nailed it for me.  I have many of the same ambitions this year... WSB & salmon @ MB, San Luis Reservoir stripers, a big Bay Area group AI sailing hook-up from Crissy Fields to and around Alcratraz ... and maybe a picnic on Angel Island.

We just need to find some good dates and hook it up!

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for the info. I didn't like the fact that the new rudder adds extra length to the 16' yak. I may have just enough space to fit 16' in my garage, but not sure about the extra length added by the new rudder. If the 2012 Adventure has the twist rudder, I might consider getting the Adventure and the sail kit. Besides, I want a blue one to match my revo. Looks like I need to pay a visit to Sunrise or CCK.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
As I understand, the AKA bars were changed in 2011 and the hull was reinforced to accept the 2012 rudder. In 2012, the rudder was changed. My beef with Hobie is their lack of transparency of the upgrades and the lack of response to e mails to them.  :smt013
I feel ya Scott.
I'm sure you've already discovered this, but for those who don't know, here's where I go to get the latest info on AI upgrades, tips, and tricks:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/index.php

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Lucky13 the only deference I see is more flotation in side the hull, inserts in the rear scuffer holes to protect it from the Hobie carts and they change the seat posts they put inserts in them also. I think the Adventure went through a face lift in 2011 I think. If you need some pics let me know.

Pat R

Hobie is pretty amazing at those details. Personally, I don't like scupper hole carts because they are harder to use and concentrate the load on a small part of the hull. I have rigged my STS GTS Pro angler seat for use on my Adventure so I no longer use the Hobie seat. Way more comfortable. The cheapest way to go if you wanted to do your own sail upgrade is to wait to until August - September and buy a demo Adventure from Sunrise or CCK. Then buy the Island upgrade kit from Austin Canoe and Kayak. I will be staying with the twist and stow rudder unless it falls off.  :smt005

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Lucky13 you will have to do a little mix & matching with the Islander upgrade, from what I see the Islander only comes in 3 colors yellow, red or dune witch one would look good with blue ?

Scott how did that seat fit been thinking of doing the same thing.

Pat R

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Talked to CCK at length. Keith pointed out that if I get the upgrade kit, it would contain the old style AKA mount. He also recommended not to do the upgrade because it's time consuming and requires some precision drilling. Since I have several projects going at the moment, I probably don't have time for another project right now. I guess I'll just have to settle with the Dune color AI and save myself some time. Hope to be able to join the AI crew soon.

Thx,
ernest

nudling

• Sea Lion
  • I tend to drift when I fish
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Talked to CCK at length. Keith pointed out that if I get the upgrade kit, it would contain the old style AKA mount. He also recommended not to do the upgrade because it's time consuming and requires some precision drilling. Since I have several projects going at the moment, I probably don't have time for another project right now. I guess I'll just have to settle with the Dune color AI and save myself some time. Hope to be able to join the AI crew soon.

Thx,
ernest

I remember talking to windtoys a year ago and they mentioned that they were able to mix colors. It might be worth it to see if a blue-dune combo is possible. Also, I still have the twist-n-stow rudder and doubt that I would install the new one unless it was necessary.

One of the best upgrades doesn't even require drilling:

Salmon is just around the corner... let's get some pink!
hobie24 hobie08 rip

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
"It might be worth it to see if a blue-dune combo is possible."
Yes it is possible if I get the Adventure + Upgrade kit. It's going to cost me if I have them do the installation. One of the CCK guys told me it would not be cheap because it's labor intensive.

The guy must've been high as kite while adding the commentary. :smt044

Sorry for the threadjack Pat. I'll say no more.

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Thx,
ernest

This what pisses me off about Hobie. There are 2 versions of the upgrade kit V1 and V2. The misinformation is rediculous and the local retail outlets don't want to deal with it so they promote the AI package.

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Lucky13 no problem with the threadjack its all good :smt006.

Do you think Hobie would send me a downgrade on the rudder kind of like the twist & stow also.

Pat R