Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:44:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:04:28 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 04:11:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: took a chance and installed a motor on my Hobie Outback.  (Read 2345 times)

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
Yea. My bud did.  Multiple trips and he laid almost $400.

Hence my sweaty palms.

Mike1967

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2024
This just answered my question in another thread about paying registration for putting a motor on. It’s ridiculous that this state wants to charge you for putting a trolling motor on a kayak.

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
This just answered my question in another thread about paying registration for putting a motor on. It’s ridiculous that this state wants to charge you for putting a trolling motor on a kayak.

it doenst bother me at all. 

the regs reads anything with a motorized propulsion or something.  it is totally on me, that I crossed that threshold.  the line in the sand.  it was cheap and easy but only because I did my homework and I went in prepped to the gills.  I had an answer or a document for every question. 

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile

and almost ALL states have the same requirement.  CA is not the pioneer in any of this.  I think my reg fee was the same as my friends in MN.  I think I read that TWO states don't have this requirement.  (I have not fact-checked it)

Mike1967

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2024

the regs reads anything with a motorized propulsion or something.  it is totally on me, that I crossed that threshold.  the line in the sand.  it was cheap and easy but only because I did my homework and I went in prepped to the gills.  I had an answer or a document for every question.

True it is what it is. I guess I’m just still a bit annoyed about anything DMV related after spending most of a day and a ton of money registering a new to us car last week. 

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile

True it is what it is. I guess I’m just still a bit annoyed about anything DMV related after spending most of a day and a ton of money registering a new to us car last week.

grrr..that is brutal.  the DMV is a bit of a wild-card visit.  it could in any direction :D

Crabby Jake

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2020
In case anyone else is thinking of registering there motorized yak:
I did mine at santa rosa DMV. It wasn't too bad. You cannot get an appt. online for a watercraft so I just got one for a vehicle and they didn't second guess it. Bring all forms already mentioned. Costed $80 +$17 for mussel sticker. You have to buy stickers to put the CF number on your boat, you can buy cool looking ones cheaply online or go to hardware store (there are certain regs about spacing of letters and stickers so just be mindful of that). The clerk hadn't done a kayak before but asked her supervisor and it worked out. I think using the term "watercraft" is helpful for them to put in to context. I was there first thing in the morning so I think that helped. The clerked looked at me like I was a piece of meat and by my estimate she was a few weeks from retirement so that might have helped also.  :smt044

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
there are certain regs about spacing of letters and stickers so just be mindful of that

Those regs are covered in 33 CFR 173.27.  In summary:

• Be painted on or permanently attached to each side of the forward half of the vessel
  • Be in plain vertical block characters of not less than 3 inches in height
  • Contrast with the color of the background and be distinctly visible and legible
  • Have spaces or hyphens that are equal to the width of a letter other than “I” or a number other than “1” between the letter and number groupings (Example: CF 5678 EF or CF–5678–EF)
  • Read from left to right
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13