Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 05:56:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 21, 2024, 10:30:04 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 09:45:07 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 09:39:30 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 08:47:00 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 08:33:11 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 07:11:06 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 06:52:13 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 06:47:55 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 06:43:52 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 05:43:40 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 05:34:07 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 05:33:37 PM]

by Clb
[May 21, 2024, 04:10:23 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 12:59:41 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 08:50:40 AM]

[May 21, 2024, 07:40:24 AM]

[May 20, 2024, 10:59:06 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 09:14:25 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 05:46:39 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 04:11:20 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 09:05:07 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Apple Computers Suck!!!  (Read 6007 times)

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Sound like it could be a hardware problem to me.  Maybe the video card has a fault that bombs when movies run.  Generally if you re-install and it's still F'd this is the direction I go next.  Apple probably made 100's of thousands of computers identical to yours in hardware and software, and they obviously all don't have this problem or folks would know how to fix it right away - that means there's something weird about yours which is likely to  be faulty hardware if you've tried different OS/software versions.

I like the PC's because they're easy to work on.  I haven't bought a new system since 1999, though I have bought a couple motherboards/cpus, about 3 video cards, about 4 hard drives and one new case with more room, bigger power supply and pretty lights...  The modem, floppy drive and a 6.5gig HD are still original though.  ;)   That's not to say that I'm a microsoft fanboy though, I dual boot win2k and ubuntu and don't think microsoft has ever gotten a cent out of me.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Backcountry

• Veni, vidi, cecidi
  • Salmon
  • I love animals, they're delicious!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
I'll second what promethean said... roll your own.  I haven't purchased a PC in years, but I've built several for myself, my company, and friends-familly.  For about $750 I can build a smoking fast and RELIABLE PC with top-shelf hardware components and no firmware.  My current PC goes through the entire boot sequence and is ready to work in 20 seconds (not unlike a MAC, and very un-like a Dell that can take upwards of 2 minutes to boot), and it's running XP Pro, only 1 Gb memory, and an AMD Athelon 64 3200+ processor... nothing fancy at all.

I'm no tech-geek (proof = I have a real human female fiance!) and it was a piece of cake to learn how to build my own computers.
NSDQ

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I agree. If you can build a computer and are good w/ software go that route. Apple's are for people who aren't into that and just want to use the computer to do something. That's why I've had Mac's all my life. 

Z

2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
I like the PC's because they're easy to work on.  I haven't bought a new system since 1999, though I have bought a couple motherboards/cpus, about 3 video cards, about 4 hard drives and one new case with more room, bigger power supply and pretty lights...  The modem, floppy drive and a 6.5gig HD are still original though.  ;)   That's not to say that I'm a microsoft fanboy though, I dual boot win2k and ubuntu and don't think microsoft has ever gotten a cent out of me.

Why do I keep picturing a system cobbled together with 2x4's?   :smt044

-Allen

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Apple's are for people who aren't into that and just want to use the computer to do something.

Thats what I was hoping for...and not getting

NEWS FLASH
My awesome wife, who was sick of my foul mood called Apple on her own...I am picking it up at the store and shipping it back for a FULL refund.  No more hassle.  My wife RULES!!!

Unfortunately, now I have no way of making movies, which is all I ever wanted to do in the first place.  :smt009 Guess I'll just have to fish instead.

Rory

Now that the "WIFE RULES" on this issue, does the WAF go in your favor OR hers?? Just thought I would ask, :smt102

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
WAF always flows towards the W.  :smt003

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Apple's are for people who aren't into that and just want to use the computer to do something.

Thats what I was hoping for...and not getting

I know. Sorry braddah. Like I said, I have my old video prod. machine ready for ya.

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile WM Bayou Lures
Sean I would strongly suggest not doing that. Get the old iMovie install it and I bet all your troubles go away.

OldNewbie

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
  I second what Bill said. You can always give it a try, and if it fixes your problem, you don't have to deal with the hassle of shipping your machine back to Apple. From all accounts, the latest release of iMovie is particularly skunky. It's a quick process, and if it doesn't work, you can let Software Update reinstall the latest POS* version and ship it back to Apple. Won't cost you more than an hour or two to try it.

* That's a technical term, having nothing to do with point-of-sale. Every release of iMovie has been a POS.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Get the old iMovie install it and I bet all your troubles go away.

If it was that simple, I can't believe they wouldn't have suggested it after 30+ hours on the phone and multiple trips to the store.  At this point I am completely ready to get this albatross out of my life.

Rory

If you can't get any satisfaction out of the whole deal, use it as an anchor, or you could: :smt067 :computer:

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I am picking it up at the store and shipping it back for a FULL refund.

What will you replace it with in order to make the movies that you want?  Just Curious.

Michael

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • Let us go fishing together
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Sean,

If you are interested in solving the problem I suggest listening to OldNewbie and Bill.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
No 2x4s, but there is a piece of cardboard taped over the on/off button to keep little kids (who love pushing buttons) from turning it off on me. 

I recently got a USB video game controller and downloaded emulators and ROMs for NES, SNES, N64 and sega genesis. It's pretty neat to be able to play all those games that my friends had when I was a kid, but at $50 a pop couldn't afford all of them myself.  That and you can map quicksave and quickload to the trigger buttons and plow through the platformers.  My son can use it too because it's an easier interface than the keyboard.  Cheaper than a DS or wii... ;)

Why do I keep picturing a system cobbled together with 2x4's?   :smt044

-Allen
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

anything